1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida city official seeking sex change fired

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Draka, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Draka

Draka Wonder Woman

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Religion:
    Lasso of Truth
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/24/sexchange.firing.ap/index.html

I really don't see the City Manager's wish for a sex change to be causing people to look upon Largo as a "laughing stock", but firing him for it shows a tad bit of bigotry in my opinion.

2. Jaymes

Jaymes The cake is a lie

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I don't think I'm going to get over people continuously using male pronouns for her. :(

3. Draka

Draka Wonder Woman

Ratings:
    +4,786
    Religion:
    Lasso of Truth
    Well, I never quite know how to address someone depending on the progress of the transistion. If they have already begun transistion with counseling and hormones and living as the opposite gender then I definitely refer to them as the opposite gender, but when I don't know...I don't know. It depends how how they want to be addressed and if that isn't made known then I don't know what to do. It's just strange. I don't want to step on feelings, but...well, it's a confusing subject.

4. Mathematician

Mathematician Reason, and reason again

Ratings:
    +611
    Not really making it better. :rolleyes:

5. Djamila

Djamila Bosnjakinja

Ratings:
    +633
    I hope whatever tourism industry exists in this city completely collapses.

6. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +16,357
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I doubt it will, since it is close to Tampa, which is a busy tourist city. Not quite a busy as Orlando or Daytona, but still rather busy.

Just address them as whatever gender they are presenting themeselves as.

7. nutshell

nutshell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672
    I hope the city is able to overcome the disruption caused by this bully.

8. Mathematician

Mathematician Reason, and reason again

Ratings:
    +611

I wonder if she can bring charges against the leadership for discrimination? Where's a Bill Richardson when you need one.

9. standing_on_one_foot

standing_on_one_foot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Having read about this in other places, this whole business came out as follows:
    "Stanton...revealed his secret Feb. 21, a day after a St. Petersburg Times reporter told him the paper had been tipped off and was preparing a story about his decision." http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/16965891.htm

Certainly it's not an ideal way for this sort of thing to go, but it doesn't seem like the best reason to lose a job, particularly since up until now, the city seemed to approve of how she was handling her job.

When you get down to it, the main reason for negative publicity is not Stanton's transition so much as the city's reaction. And you'll have to forgive me when I don't entirely buy that this is not at all about the transition, given the previous reviews and the timing of this business.

By the by, generally speaking, if someone's made it clear that they intend to transition and haven't specifically asked you to use the old pronouns because there are people they don't want to know yet, it's fairly safe to assume they'd prefer the pronoun's of the prefered gender.