• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida’s New Board of Education Chairman Denies Evolution. Wants Creationism Taught

Skwim

Veteran Member
Florida’s State Board of Education recently announced a new chairman: Andy Tuck.

When he was first appointed to the board, in 2014 by then-Gov. Rick Scott, Tuck was just a citrus grower who previously served on the School Board of Highlands County. He was a typical GOP nominee, supporting charter schools and vouchers. No big shock.

AndyTuckFloridaCreationist-1024x568.png

But when he was on that local school board in 2008, he opposed the teaching of evolution as a “fact” in the state’s new science standards.

School Board Vice Chairman Andy Tuck said Thursday, “as a person of faith, I strongly oppose any study of evolution as fact at all. I’m purely in favor of it staying a theory and only a theory.

“I won’t support any evolution being taught as fact at all in any of our schools.”

To be clear, scientists describe evolution as a “theory” because all the available evidence supports it, not because it’s just one suggestion among many possibilities. Gravity is a theory, not a suggestion. That’s not the nuance that Tuck was offering, though. He wanted evolution to be taught as an option — alongside Creationism and Intelligent Design and other myths.

It’s disturbing enough that he doesn’t understand basic science. But it’s downright scary how he thought the state’s science curriculum ought to be decided based on his personal faith.

When Tuck was appointed to the State Board of Education in 2014, reporters asked him about that comment. Who knows! Maybe he changed his mind since then…? Nope. He hadn’t learned a damn thing.

Tuck said his problem is that scientists can’t say for certain how the universe began.

“I guess the thing I struggle with is you’re teaching evolution to fifth-graders and you get done and one says, ‘Where did it start?’” he said. “And you say what?”

Tuck’s inability to answer that question apparently meant Florida teachers shouldn’t be required to tell kids the truth. (Evolution, by the way, is about a process. It doesn’t answer how or why everything got started.)

So that guy is now running the State Board of Education.

I guess we can expect to see a lot more Florida Man stories over the next decade given the education these students won’t be receiving.
source

Not that all Christians should know what evolution is about, but shouldn't we expect someone who's Chairman of a state's Board of Education at least know that it doesn't involve first cause, And know the difference between a fact and a theory? Guess not if you spent most of your life picking grapefruit.

In any case, do you believe his desire to see evolution to be taught as an option — alongside Creationism and Intelligent Design in public schools is reason enough to get him thrown out of his job?

I certainly do.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Florida’s State Board of Education recently announced a new chairman: Andy Tuck.

When he was first appointed to the board, in 2014 by then-Gov. Rick Scott, Tuck was just a citrus grower who previously served on the School Board of Highlands County. He was a typical GOP nominee, supporting charter schools and vouchers. No big shock.

But when he was on that local school board in 2008, he opposed the teaching of evolution as a “fact” in the state’s new science standards.

School Board Vice Chairman Andy Tuck said Thursday, “as a person of faith, I strongly oppose any study of evolution as fact at all. I’m purely in favor of it staying a theory and only a theory.

“I won’t support any evolution being taught as fact at all in any of our schools.”
To be clear, scientists describe evolution as a “theory” because all the available evidence supports it, not because it’s just one suggestion among many possibilities. Gravity is a theory, not a suggestion. That’s not the nuance that Tuck was offering, though. He wanted evolution to be taught as an option — alongside Creationism and Intelligent Design and other myths.

It’s disturbing enough that he doesn’t understand basic science. But it’s downright scary how he thought the state’s science curriculum ought to be decided based on his personal faith.

When Tuck was appointed to the State Board of Education in 2014, reporters asked him about that comment. Who knows! Maybe he changed his mind since then…? Nope. He hadn’t learned a damn thing.

Tuck said his problem is that scientists can’t say for certain how the universe began.

“I guess the thing I struggle with is you’re teaching evolution to fifth-graders and you get done and one says, ‘Where did it start?’” he said. “And you say what?”
Tuck’s inability to answer that question apparently meant Florida teachers shouldn’t be required to tell kids the truth. (Evolution, by the way, is about a process. It doesn’t answer how or why everything got started.)

I guess we can expect to see a lot more Florida Man stories over the next decade given the education these students won’t be receiving.
source
Not that all Christians should know what evolution is about, but shouldn't we expect someone who's Chairman of a state's Board of Education at least know that it doesn't involve first cause, And know the difference between a fact and a theory? Guess not if you spent most of your life picking grapefruit.

In any case, do you believe his desire to see evolution to be taught as an option — alongside Creationism and Intelligent Design in public schools is reason enough to get him thrown out of his job?

I certainly do.
That was in 2008...

He has evolved.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

source

I certainly do.

It stops being education at that point.

It would certainly be grounds for dismissal if you're teaching fabrications and outright lies based from books of fantasy.

To teach children creationism would be a form of intellectual abuse in the worst way.

A person like that should not be running the Board of Education. A church probably, but not any educational Institution.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I need to send my mother to Florida...
Yesterday she was crying saying that we are a pagan depraved country where God's Creation is ridiculed.

tas8831

source

I certainly do.

Is this a surprise?

The GOP has become the party of idiots, gun nuts, white supremacists, racists, greedy narcissists, religious nuts, and goobers that don;t know any better because Freedom! and Flag! platitudes are more important to them than reality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I recall in my high school there were pictures of Darwin on the wall...:p
My highschool science education included "it's just a theory," "we know it didn't happen because of what the Bible says," and "it happened just as the Bible said it did." That was "advanced placement" biology 2, which was supposed to have been a college level biology course.