• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flock of Birds

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
While in the military we would often march to cadence of a sergeant, turning and or stopping at his verbal command. While watching a flock of birds, I notice they all move as one, without any audible commands. It's as though they share a telepathy with each other.

Thoughts or opinions?

pexels-pixabay-55832.jpg
pexels.com

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have heard that the complex behavior of a flock of birds can be simulated with a computer programed with just four rules to govern the flock's behavior. An excellent example of how complexity can often be 'reduced' to relatively simple underlying principles capable of being expressed mathematically.

Of course, in this sort of case, no genuine reduction is taking place. Not anymore than calling the view from my window a "landscape" reduces the view to a landscape (whatever that is). But in other cases of reduction, it seems possible to argue there is a genuine reduction of one thing to some other, far simpler, thing. For instance, many very complex things can be reduced to the behavior of molecules.

However, even if we knew all the 'laws' 'governing' the behavior of something, we might still not be able to predict the behavior any given individual due to the number of variables involved. Try imagining all the things we know govern when and where an autumn leaf will fall. We know all sorts of things about what will influence its fall -- and we still cannot predict when and where it will fall.

But then you have the issue of 'emergent properties' at some point. So it's all very interesting. Of course, me -- I'd rather be watching strippers than thinking about these things, but the dancing girls won't be here for another two hours yet.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
While in the military we would often march to cadence of a sergeant, turning and or stopping at his verbal command. While watching a flock of birds, I notice they all move as one, without any audible commands. It's as though they share a telepathy with each other.

Thoughts or opinions?

View attachment 46318
pexels.com
They practice flying together. Lots and lots. And if you actually watch geese and ducks and doves and starlings, etc., you will see lots of 'mistakes,' where obviously one or a few were NOT in mind-reading mode...