• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

floating about

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There is a reoccurring theme that often features in my dreams

It is having the ability to float over the ground

What I do is, I lift both my legs up so that my feet don’t touch the ground, but some force suspends me – I float and can move about without my feet touching the ground

I move about, floating over the floor

In one dream I wondered how high I could float

For some reason I was in a supermarket and there were people there wearing white robes who could also float

I floated right up to the top of the celling, and looked down, and felt scared – worried I might fall, that whatever power that was suspending me would fail and that I'd fall to my death by exceeding the maximum hight for floating

But I then felt an amazing and blissful sense of security, as I hovered high up in the air, looking down at the supermarket and its inhabitants, it was as though God was holding me. This wasn't floating: this was flight!

But normally, if floating features in a dream nothing as dramatic happens

I have no idea how to interpret any of this! If I had I'd share them here. Any ideas?

amorphous_constellation

I originally though floating / flying dreams meant something about me traveling, or some part of me traveling / evolving. Could be like a thought pattern moving away from its home-base, getting elevated into a different way of thinking. Moving onto a different way of thinking, or a different stage in life possibly, or experiencing a new vibrancy in life that stimulates the mind / brain somehow.

sealchan

There is a reoccurring theme that often features in my dreams

It is having the ability to float over the ground

What I do is, I lift both my legs up so that my feet don’t touch the ground, but some force suspends me – I float and can move about without my feet touching the ground

I move about, floating over the floor

In one dream I wondered how high I could float

For some reason I was in a supermarket and there were people there wearing white robes who could also float

I floated right up to the top of the celling, and looked down, and felt scared – worried I might fall, that whatever power that was suspending me would fail and that I'd fall to my death by exceeding the maximum hight for floating

But I then felt an amazing and blissful sense of security, as I hovered high up in the air, looking down at the supermarket and its inhabitants, it was as though God was holding me. This wasn't floating: this was flight!

But normally, if floating features in a dream nothing as dramatic happens

I have no idea how to interpret any of this! If I had I'd share them here. Any ideas?

I've had a lifelong series of dreams that involve floating myself. One of the main themes for me was that I was doing something miraculous and that as I was floating I was thinking "Wow! This is living proof that this is real!" Then I would wake up and still think that until slowly it dawned on me that it was in a dream. But it would take awhile to shake that feeling that I had a supernatural power.

And then I will have dreams where I am afraid of falling from some height. Apparently the writers and producers of my dreams haven't got together to compare notes.

I suspect that the cognitive function of intuition is being referenced in flying dreams that don't quite make it to the stage of full on lucid dreams which apparently they do for many people. But as intuition is my primary cognitive function (in the Jungian scheme of personality typology), I could be conflating flying that with perhaps a dream metaphor for what it is like to be self-conscious. I believe self-consciousness is to consciousness as the spiritual world is to the physical world as a metaphoric analogy. Self-consciousness is "meta" or "hyper" or whatever other prefix you might use to denote higher and partially separate.

I've also noted that trees or rooms or corn fields may represent a sort of middle layer between impenetrable earth and endless heaven and that flying is best pursued "in that middle range". The myth of Icarus comes to mind in this regard. Going to high is associated with fear and with injury/death as the ultimate source for fear. One can have confidence hovering over the ground because the consequence of a fall is minimal. But the higher you go the more the notion of a fall is fearful for obvious reasons. Dreams seem to largely have this sort of familiar physics even as they often like to take exception to physics.

In Edward Edinger's Ego and Archetype he talks about Icarus and the cycles that the ego goes through the hubris of associating with the God-like and the humility of falling off one's pedestal. We, as developing individuals are constantly cycling through such attitudes. Wanting to be above it all we eventually fall. Accepting our need for grounded-ness, we are lifted up.

In many dreams, I now recall I might spend the better part of the dream simply floating around, over a fence or whatever, and it is no big deal. But there is always, for me, this sense of my loving this super-power even if it feels like a small-s super power.