• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flirting vs. Sexual Harassment

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My sister is a flight attendant
My brother in law is a pilot.
How did they meet,?
On a plane.
He asked her out.

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

Unconscious sexual signalling.
Men need to study this.
Most researchers agree that only around one third of men are aware of the signals women are sending loud and clear.

The really interesting thing is that many women are unaware of it too, and often flirt hard core without realising it.

How about women just tell men if they're interested in us? It'd simplify things.

Rational Agnostic

It is confusing at the least. How do you enforce a law that relies on the subjective opinion of the one who feels offended? When you have a law that accepts that in a particular situation, sexual harassment occurred, and in another exact situation with a different person, no offence occurred, Where is the line?

There is no line. As I said before, creepy and confident have the same definition, except for the fact that creepy guys are unattractive to the woman they are approaching and confident guys are attractive. For instance, Russell Brand constantly makes sexual comments to women, yet since he is perceived as attractive by these women, he is never accused of sexual harassment. Matt Laeuer and Charlie Rose do the same thing, and their careers are destroyed. Of course it's not politically correct to point this out, although it's quite obvious.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Which...I mean...It is normal.
Many gentlemen asked my sister out. Very politely. She has never accused them of harassement.

And my sister is very attractive. She was nicknamed Britney in high school

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why would there be a concern with unwelcome advances ?
Because they're unwelcome.

If one person has already made it clear he doesn't want to have any other sort of relationship with his co-worker, then sure. In that case it becomes troublesome and disruptive to keep insisting. But why would the first advance, per se, be a cause of concern if done respectfully ?
If it's done without regard to whether it's wanted, then it's not being done respectfully.

What's wrong with either:

- only asking out co-workers once you're sure they're interested, or
- not asking out co-workers at all?

Rational Agnostic

Harassment = bullying.

Right, and if an ugly man expresses interest in an attractive woman, he's a bully, but if an attractive man does the same thing, he's just a confident gentleman. This is why Craig Ferguson and Russell Brand can elicit laughter and touching from women just by talking like perverts, but guys like Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose get their careers destroyed for doing the same thing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Right, and if an ugly man expresses interest in an attractive woman, he's a bully, but if an attractive man does the same thing, he's just a confident gentleman. This is why Craig Ferguson and Russell Brand can elicit laughter and touching from women just by talking like perverts, but guys like Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose get their careers destroyed for doing the same thing.

Yeah, sucks for us ugly folks don't it. :(

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Because they're unwelcome.

...and ?
It only becomes a problem if it is disrespectful, abusive or insistent.
Or if someone decides to turn it into a problem where there is none.

If it's done without regard to whether it's wanted, then it's not being done respectfully.

What's wrong with either:

- only asking out co-workers once you're sure they're interested, or
- not asking out co-workers at all?

Who said anything about doing it without regard as to whether it is wanted ?

Since we are not mind readers, there is no sure way to know how someone will react the first time you approach them unless they happen to tell you how they feel about you in the first place. Can't we just act like the grown-up adults that we all are and just reject the invitations that we don't want without feeling assaulted in some manner ?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Ok...let's see .
Let's say Cindy falls in love with her coworker James. She is hopelssly devoted to him.
Can she ask him out to know him better?

No...
Apparently she is supposed to cry for him night and day...

I think she should maybe pursue it. However, she should also realize that it may cost her professionalism at her job if the other workers find out. At least, in the country where I live.