• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flight Shaming....I Like It !!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Amtrak doesn't own all the lines.
And its lines should be separate from freight lines.

They can't build them alongside the freight lines? I guess the government could declare eminent domain and buy the lines they need from the private carriers.

PruePhillip

I prefer driving myself. When I was a kid, I did a lot of traveling by air (from coast to coast back and forth between divorced parents), but there were plenty of times we did it by car. Still, I thought flying by airplane was pretty exciting and fun, but not so much anymore.

I trust that it's reasonably safe, although there always risks. I can't speak to your point about it being fuel efficient or clean - although that seems to be part of what the current complaint is about.

But one reason why I prefer driving is because I prefer to be behind the wheel. I don't like being a passenger, whether it's a plane, bus, train, or even someone else's car.

I have traveled around the USA and find driving the way to go.
Trouble is - if you are in a hurry and don't want to sit in a car
for a week...
Air travel is fuel efficient because you are shifting bulk people
on a single journey - and there's no stop and starts, no traffic,
above the weather and you have super tuned, efficient engines.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
for a week...
I too find it best for long distance travel...unless I'm hauling machinery.
But I try to avoid it. I like staycations.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Dime a mile....not bad.
Much cheaper than the PA Turnpike.
Imagine your last road trip in Mr Van.
Make your tolls somewhere between 20-25 cents per mile for every highway mile(your trailer is a separate vehicle). Then tote up your gasoline costs at about $7 per gallon.

Thank socialized transportation for the difference between that and what the trip cost you.
Tom

Jim

Nets of Wonder
In the news....
Flight shaming hits air travel as 'Greta effect' takes off
Perhaps I can use this to avoid vacations which require flying.

On to a better issue to discuss....
What's reasonable to do for those of us who want to treat our environment better?
Learn more about what the possibilities might be, how they might happen, and what people are doing and could be doing to help. Listen to dissenting voices, no matter how much you see them being vilified by people you identify with.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Imagine your last road trip in Mr Van.
Make your tolls somewhere between 20-25 cents per mile for every highway mile(your trailer is a separate vehicle). Then tote up your gasoline costs at about $7 per gallon.

Thank socialized transportation for the difference between that and what the trip cost you.
Tom
Mr Trailer already bumps Mr Van up from class 2 to class 4.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
What do you know about this cute little cartoon?

61jBZlnjmLL._SY445_.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seriously, are you interested in what more you might be able to do, besides what you’re already doing? I might have some ideas for you, after I do some research.
I'm asking everyone for their practices & suggestions.
So yes, new stuff.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
So yes, new stuff.
Listen to dissenting voices, no matter how wrong they look to you, and no matter how much you see them being vilified by people you identify with or sources you trust, so that five or ten years from now you won’t find out that you were more part of the problem than part of the solution. Don’t participate in campaigns of denunciation and vilification against dissenting voices.

I’m thinking in particular of dissenting voices against some climate change and carbon footprint bandwagons.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
So yes, new stuff.
Help with the growth and spread of warm feelings and friendly intentions towards all people and all of nature. Look for that and nurture it, first in yourself then in others. Also, help with the growth and spread of of healthier, happier and more loving communities, online and offline.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
for a week...

Yes, it largely depends on the circumstances. There are times when you have no real choice but to travel by air - if you have to get somewhere in a hurry.

But it really can be a hassle, especially if one lives in a smaller area and has to make connecting flights through a major hub. It's actually cheaper for me to drive or take the shuttle up to Phoenix and fly out of that airport than it is to fly out of Tucson. But either way, one has to face crowds, long lines, invasive security procedures, rude agents, flight attendants - along with all the other passengers. And if you're traveling alone, you never know who's going to end up sitting next to you.

Making connections can be a bit of a pain, depending on how long or how short of a layover it is. I remember one New Year's Day when my flight out of Phoenix was cancelled and I was put on stand by for another flight. I spent all day in the airport bar drinking beer and watching football.

I remember as a kid, airlines seemed to have better service and it was considered a more elegant way to travel than by bus or train. But now, it's just Greyhound with wings.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure it's doable, but the will is lacking.

Amtrak comes through here a few times a week. But it doesn't always seem feasible, depending on my travel schedule. I haven't checked the fares lately, but I don't think it's that much cheaper than flying, if at all.

Back east, in the higher density areas, there are more options and more trains.

But out here in Petticoat Junction, old Uncle Joe is movin' kinda slow.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Listen to dissenting voices, no matter how wrong they look to you, and no matter how much you see them being vilified by people you identify with or sources you trust, so that five or ten years from now you won’t find out that you were more part of the problem than part of the solution. Don’t participate in campaigns of denunciation and vilification against dissenting voices.

I’m thinking in particular of dissenting voices against some climate change and carbon footprint bandwagons.
It's good advice for more than just environment protection.

Reactions: Jim

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Help with the growth and spread of warm feelings and friendly intentions towards all people and all of nature. Look for that and nurture it, first in yourself then in others. Also, help with the growth and spread of of healthier, happier and more loving communities, online and offline.
And specifically to coaxing the climate beliefs of others to one's side....
- Do not call'm "intellectually dishonest".
- Do not compare'm to creationists.
- Do not accuse them of watching Fox or Faux News.
- Do not get angry, hostile, or dismissive at them.

Reactions: Jim

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Amtrak comes through here a few times a week. But it doesn't always seem feasible, depending on my travel schedule. I haven't checked the fares lately, but I don't think it's that much cheaper than flying, if at all.

Back east, in the higher density areas, there are more options and more trains.

But out here in Petticoat Junction, old Uncle Joe is movin' kinda slow.
At least there's still a steam train in Hooterville.
Always liked that name.