• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flight Shaming....I Like It !!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Stop eating, period.
Grain, fruit, legumes etc require huge acreages - land that once belonged to non-humans.
Stop eating, stop breeding, lay down and die - and hand the land over to the feral cats,
dogs and weeds.

I stop eating all the time. I sit down, eat a plate of food, then I stop when I'm full.

Bob the Unbeliever

In the news....
Flight shaming hits air travel as 'Greta effect' takes off
Perhaps I can use this to avoid vacations which require flying.

On to a better issue to discuss....
What's reasonable to do for those of us who want to treat our environment better?

I had already quit flying, and it had zip-all to do with carbon emissions.

It was more of the effect of other... emissions, coming from the sham that is "flight security".

It is 100% bs the things people go through, to get on an airplane. Absolutely bs. Nonsensical pay attention to the details, but ignoring the giant elephant in the room...

Then, there's the whole matter of being treated like cheap luggage, by the airlines: crap seats, crap "food", forced to wait hours sitting on runways in those crap seats for no logical reason other than they can?

If the Free Market was permitted access to airlines? They would all be either bankrupt or actually a pleasure to utilize.

No need of "flight shaming" here-- it's already crap.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While it's really nice to try and be greener in one's own life, the biggest thing we can do for the environment isn't in the public sector, it's creating better policy for corporate waste. Because industry is the largest polluter by far, plane rides and all.

On an individual level though, I've always been a fan of gleaning. Helps reduce food waste in your immediate community which also helps prevent local hunger and maximizes the yield of the farmland we do use.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I had already quit flying, and it had zip-all to do with carbon emissions.

It was more of the effect of other... emissions, coming from the sham that is "flight security".

It is 100% bs the things people go through, to get on an airplane. Absolutely bs. Nonsensical pay attention to the details, but ignoring the giant elephant in the room...

Then, there's the whole matter of being treated like cheap luggage, by the airlines: crap seats, crap "food", forced to wait hours sitting on runways in those crap seats for no logical reason other than they can?

If the Free Market was permitted access to airlines? They would all be either bankrupt or actually a pleasure to utilize.

No need of "flight shaming" here-- it's already crap.

I periodically lurk in an airline complaints forum where some people vent against the bad service on airlines. There are also some who defend the airlines and consider themselves airline sympathizers, blaming most problems on the passengers themselves.

But I also get the sense that there's low morale among the line staff, that they just don't seem very happy with their work.

A Vestigial Mote

How does it help the environment if everyone stopped eating fish?
This one's actually extremely easy to answer. If no humans ate any more fish, then there would be no fisherman in the water, which does quite a few things for the environment:
  1. No more over-fishing. There would be plenty of fish for all water-bound ecosystems to thrive. Predator and prey alike
  2. Along with the above the movements and activities of thousands of species whose lives are threatened by over-fishing are what help keep waters clean and healthy for other marine life
  3. No more transport-pollution from fishing boats
  4. No more deaths of nearly extinct species via bycatch
  5. Let's not pretend there aren't unscrupulous fisherman who pollute the waters in other ways while they're out there
Nobody kept a few chickens and ate eggs?
I've honestly never heard a good argument against eating eggs that personally owned chickens lay. They're going to lay them anyway, fertilized or not - so why let them go to waste?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
While it's really nice to try and be greener in one's own life, the biggest thing we can do for the environment isn't in the public sector, it's creating better policy for corporate waste. Because industry is the largest polluter by far, plane rides and all.

On an individual level though, I've always been a fan of gleaning. Helps reduce food waste in your immediate community which also helps prevent local hunger and maximizes the yield of the farmland we do use.
You missed one of the most important things you can do to green up your life.

Don't make babies.
Especially not the high consumption babies from the western world.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The relevance is that we must be ashamed of ourselves.
Nah, that's a Christian thing.
We're born sinners and unless we obey the humans who claim to be God's Official Spokesmen we're going to be judged badly.

After we die.

Convenient for God's Official Spokesmen that nobody can ever ask how they got it so wrong.
Tom

Audie

Veteran Member
This one's actually extremely easy to answer.

Actually if is very far from easy.
All of the abuses you mention are of course,
quite true, and getting worse. People have been
very unkind to the fish.

However-they do provide a very valuable source of protein.

A rational approach is not whether, but which species,
and how.
Starting with farmed fish (NOT salmon) such as
various catfish, tilapia etc. These are great for moving
low grade food / vegetation up the scale to being high grade
suitable for human consumption, at a low energy
cost. (chickens have a metabolism like a Ferrari)

Various shellfish are very successfully farmed.

Wild populations can be managed for what the fisheries
people call MSY, maximum sustained yield.

A much lower level of pressure is needed and harmful
practices need to be eliminated, but to just say "no
fish" is, imo, unnecessary and a poor idea.

Audie

Veteran Member
You missed one of the most important things you can do to green up your life.

Don't make babies.
Especially not the high consumption babies from the western world.
Tom

We call it the "suicide of the west".
We will miss you. Sorta.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We call it the "suicide of the west".
We will miss you. sort a.
Who is we?

I'm 61. I'm unlikely to be around in 20 years.
I hope I am gone before the brown people start the nuclear war that I quite expect, before the end of this century. Or the bio-collapse that precipitates that war.

It's the kids being born right now, from New York to Lahore, that are going to suffer the most.
Not me.
Tom

Audie

Veteran Member
Who is we?

I'm 61. I'm unlikely to be around in 20 years.
I hope I am gone before the brown people start the nuclear war that I quite expect, before the end of this century. Or the bio-collapse that precipitates that war.

It's the kids being born right now, from New York to Lahore, that are going to suffer the most.
Not me.
Tom

Who we is? Im Chinese but live in the USA, so
I guess I dunno!

"Brown people start nuclear war?"

A Vestigial Mote

Actually if is very far from easy.
All of the abuses you mention are of course,
quite true, and getting worse. People have been
very unkind to the fish.

However-they do provide a very valuable source of protein.

A rational approach is not whether, but which species,
and how.
Starting with farmed fish (NOT salmon) such as
various catfish, tilapia etc. These are great for moving
low grade food / vegetation up the scale to being high grade
suitable for human consumption, at a low energy
cost. (chickens have a metabolism like a Ferrari)

Various shellfish are very successfully farmed.

Wild populations can be managed for what the fisheries
people call MSY, maximum sustained yield.

A much lower level of pressure is needed and harmful
practices need to be eliminated, but to just say "no
fish" is, imo, unnecessary and a poor idea.
There are plenty of other sources of protein. Try to keep in mind that a gorilla (a fairly close relative, who it larger and stronger than we are, hands down) is mostly vegetarian - with some species dabbling in termites and ants.

Sources of protein that are often glossed over when people think "vegetation only": seeds/nuts, beans - and as a vegetarian (rather than vegan), any dairy also contains loads of protein. Other nutrients thought of as "fish-centric" - like omega 3 fatty acids - are also present in nuts in no small amount and even tofu (a lesser amount).

I'm vegetarian - nearly vegan (and was strictly vegan for six years), but do sometimes consume cheese when it is included in some dish or appetizer, etc. There is simply no need to consume meat of any kind with modern knowledge of nutrients and nutrient sources. There are loads of detriments to health and environment to consider, and if we stopped growing/gathering food in order to feed all the farmed animals we raise to eat, we could feed the world of humans easily, and likely much more cheaply.