• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat earthers religiously motivated or just dumb.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Our maid from Philippines said her Mom and Dad wont
believe her that the world is round, like an orange.

Maybe sone intellectuals among the medivals understood
it but I bet over half the people in the world today think
it is flat.
Most Mediaeval people knew the world is round. It's been known for millennia. Anyone who does not know it is is ignorant and would have been considered so for at least the past thousand years.

Audie

Veteran Member
Most Mediaeval people knew the world is round. It's been known for millennia. Anyone who does not know it is is ignorant and would have been considered so for at least the past thousand years.

"Most" you say, but it seems very improbable.

Very few had any education-like small farmers and
village people in Philippines today.

Look at all the Americans today who believe in
Noahs ark.

Where do you get your info on "most"?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Most" you say, but it seems very improbable.

Very few had any education-like small farmers and
village people in Philippines today.

Look at all the Americans today who believe in
Noahs ark.

Where do you get your info on "most"?
‘We all agree on the earth’s shape. For surely we always speak of the round ball of the Earth’ (Pliny, Natural History, II.64).

Look at any Mediaeval drawing of Earth,

6a013488b5399e970c0224e037ab10200d-500wi

6a013488b5399e970c0223c849068a200c-500wi

220px-John_Gower_world_Vox_Clamantis_detail.jpg

6a013488b5399e970c01bb096e077e970d-500wi

5Gh49a2pF3NegXw_QuQxryMOX8AS5fKrmIpcikczrUwwvCWoEOXBksJLFKW3cyY7h5tuaTTQhcdncA2NU9e_-PREeJIYBEsa

Any sailor knows the Earth is a sphere, and one also need only look at the other planets, see how shadows are formed and the fact that different areas have different timezones and seasons.

Audie

Veteran Member
‘We all agree on the earth’s shape. For surely we always speak of the round ball of the Earth’ (Pliny, Natural History, II.64).

Look at any Mediaeval drawing of Earth,

6a013488b5399e970c0224e037ab10200d-500wi

6a013488b5399e970c0223c849068a200c-500wi

220px-John_Gower_world_Vox_Clamantis_detail.jpg

6a013488b5399e970c01bb096e077e970d-500wi

5Gh49a2pF3NegXw_QuQxryMOX8AS5fKrmIpcikczrUwwvCWoEOXBksJLFKW3cyY7h5tuaTTQhcdncA2NU9e_-PREeJIYBEsa

Any sailor knows the Earth is a sphere, and one also need only look at the other planets, see how shadows are formed and the fact that different areas have different timezones and seasons.

Why reiterate the obviius while ignoring what i said?

You do know that I was referring to the great
majority who like billions today were not educated?
I extremely doubt your "most" whivh you certainly
have not subdtantiated.

"Most" sailors, in the event, were in the coastal
trade and would have no experience with time
zones let alone seasons.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Mediaeval people never really thought the Earth is flat.

Neither did the ancient Greeks as they had an ability to measure the curvature. Aristotle stated, "Since the lunar eclipse is a product of the Earth's shadow, and that shadow completely covers it no matter what the angle the Earth has in relation to the Sun, the Earth must be spherical to yield this property." Earlier thinkers like Pythagoras posited that the Earth must be spherical because it was the, "perfect shape", but by Aristotle's time they were able to confirm it via measurements/observation. Aristotle basically computed the exact circumference only using the Sun and a stick of a known measure. The other way you could have figured this out is by watching a ship mast go over the horizon as it sailed away. If you knew the height of the mast over the water, and the distance to that point you could very easily work out the diameter of the Earth (in approximation) easily enough as you would only have to calculate the "arc" between these two points as they intersect the point where the tip of the mast is no longer visible on the horizon. This is similar to the Sun "stick" method obviously, but would be even easier to grasp and a bit more accurate. Needless to say, there is no way anyone past the Classical era thought the Earth was flat.

Likewise, they would have easily been able to tell that the Earth was rotating around the Sun based on the eclipse interactions with the Moon, so people spewing this nonsense are doing just that. If it was known in Aristotle's time that the Lunar eclipse was the Earth's shadow then the only process that accounts for that is that if we are moving around the Sun.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You do know that I was referring to the great
majority who like billions today were not educated?
I extremely doubt your "most" whivh you certainly
have not subdtantiated.

Audie

Veteran Member
Neither did the ancient Greeks as they had an ability to measure the curvature. Aristotle stated, "Since the lunar eclipse is a product of the Earth's shadow, and that shadow completely covers it no matter what the angle the Earth has in relation to the Sun, the Earth must be spherical to yield this property." Earlier thinkers like Pythagoras posited that the Earth must be spherical because it was the, "perfect shape", but by Aristotle's time they were able to confirm it via measurements/observation. Aristotle basically computed the exact circumference only using the Sun and a stick of a known measure. The other way you could have figured this out is by watching a ship mast go over the horizon as it sailed away. If you knew the height of the mast over the water, and the distance to that point you could very easily work out the diameter of the Earth (in approximation) easily enough as you would only have to calculate the "arc" between these two points as they intersect. This is similar to the Sun "stick" method obviously, but would be even easier to grasp and a bit more accurate. Needless to say, there is no way anyone past the Classical era thought the Earth was flat.

Likewise, they would have easily been able to tell that the Earth was rotating around the Sun based on the eclipse interactions with the Moon, so people spewing this nonsense are doing just that. If it was known in Aristotle's time that the Lunar eclipse was the Earth's shadow then the only process that accounts for that is that if we are moving around the Sun.

Are you thinking this info got out to the illiterate
majority?
I bet theres at least a billion who dont know it
yet.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Are you thinking this info got out to the illiterate
majority?
I bet theres at least a billion who dont know it
yet.

20% of the population has a level intelligence that would be considered "disabled", so always bear that in mind. :D

They're smart enough to read and talk, but not to reason properly. :D

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Flat earthers,never heard of this before,well I knew people in the middle ages thought the earth was flat but not today,maybe they're like the people who say the Earth is only 6000 years old.

Anyway I saw this on the BBC,kind of sad but flat earthers,I'm going with dumb.

Daredevil dies after crash-landing rocket

Just another example of what I keep on saying, that ALL religions leave people spiritually and mentally broken.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
A sad way to go, it shows the problems associated with ignoring education in favour of faith.

On a lighter note...

Flat earthers are proud to say they have membership all over the globe.

And it's obvious the earth us not flat, if it were the cats would have knocked everything of the edge by now.
20% of the population has a level intelligence that would be considered "disabled", so always bear that in mind. :D

They're smart enough to read and talk, but not to reason properly. :D

Ah ha!!

So THAT explains how Trump has so many supporters.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
That's interesting but I'm still getting a return flight when I go to New Zealand.

Hahahahaha! No. Do you leave orbit when you travel by plane? If I remain still, and something else moves (say, because of a giant earthquake), this means it is farther away. This is known as common sense. If I am in the orbit of another planet, Earth will have moved to the other side of the sun within six months. Whether you go to New Zealand of not, is irrelevant. But you know, since we're talking about return flights, if the Earth actually did rotate it should take longer one direction than another, since one direction you are going towards the Earth's rotation, another you are you are going against it. This is much the same as going upstream on a river, or sailing against the wind.

50 Reasons Why You Should Believe The Earth Is Flat

(Also, this is another of these idiots that thinks he's being clever by mocking this. But some of the points still stand)

Since you people don't seem to like long explanations...

SPOILERING FOR PICTURE OVERLOAD

img.jpg

For reference, human beings cannot see objects in the thermosphere and beyond in broad daylight. That puts it in the stratosphere or mesosphere at most.

img.jpg

To say nothing of the that as Earth is orbiting and rotating and generally "wobbling" all about, its temperature from one day to a next should not at all be constant. Yet temperature nearest the equator is constant.

img.jpg

It's magic, folks! Don't question it. You'd probably burn well before that flip happened, but is somehow you didn't, at Earth's center there would be some kind of gravity well.

img.jpg

Open a bottle of water! Those flat Earthers will find out in a hurry that water is curved when it comes spouting out in a stream straight upwards. What's that you say? You were pressing the sides of the bottle? Nonsense!

img.jpg

Uhhhh, this isn't a valid point. But I also had to include it.

img.jpg

I think this is because they would immediately lose credibility if they showed Earth as a pear.

img.jpg

Honestly, I don't know enough about lens to confirm or deny this one. But this seems to verify this.

img.jpg

Ever notice that these high speeds seem like something a little kid made up? 67000 mph might as well be "eleventy zillion." Whereas a near-orbit sun would need to move relatively slow to make it around the Earth.

img.jpg

Why do there seem to be all of these phone towers? I mean, couldn't we get all of our cellphone service from space? Almost like these satellites can't actually do anything about this...

And finally,

img.jpg

If I hear one more stupid person deciding that humans would have to lay flat for a flat Earth... Let's review. You can sit on the top of a circular desk. You can even stand on it, if you're light enough that it will support your weight. I'm going to give you homework. Stand on top of a beach ball.

Fallen over yet? Good, cuz now I'm going to laugh at you.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
chemtrail-update1.jpg

The mind, feelings and human consciousness, owns feed back and image formation in the cloud mass.

We see Jesus as that image in the cloud....a human being male, an adult human being male, Our Father in Heaven.

Image feed back....made in the Image of the Father in the Heavens...what we see in our minds.

Science, males owner of all scientific themes then play around with the atmospheric feed back status Planet Earth mind conscious reality. Our spiritual life and psyche living in the Heavenly gases.

Our minds change so do our beliefs by what is feed back as imagery in the atmosphere.

Straight lines gives the mind the unrelated theme of flatness, by line...that removes the human mind ability to think naturally. How argument about information in thinking comes about.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Ummmm, the natural way to think is that if we see the sun going around us, the sun is going around us.

To decide instead that actually no, we are going around the sun, at tens of thousands of miles, is not only absurd since not one person feels this happening (nor does anything inanimate), but equivalent to someone says, "Hey, I hear hooves nearby... why it must be... GIANT UNICORNS FROM SPACE!" Or maybe, it's horses. Couldn't it just be what our eyes actually see?

Occam's Razor

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Makes it even more puzzling why some people do now.

There was a big drive to flood Youtube with flat earth videos in 2016, and by 2017 it had become a 'thing'. I watched it happening.

Lots of Youtubers watched it happening, and there was some discussion of it at the time.

It was as if the phenomenon was being deliberately created.

Indeed, many believe it was created by Psyops .

That may seem like a wacky conspiracy theory, until you realise that internet brainwashing is a powerful tactical weapon. And like any weapon, it needs to be tested, evaluated and refined.

night912

Ummmm, the natural way to think is that if we see the sun going around us, the sun is going around us.
Wrong, the sun isn't going around us. It appears at one place, rise up, then sets down then disappeared. The next day, a new sun appears and the cycle continues.

To decide instead that actually no, we are going around the sun, at tens of thousands of miles, is not only absurd since not one person feels this happening (nor does anything inanimate), but equivalent to someone says, "Hey, I hear hooves nearby... why it must be... GIANT UNICORNS FROM SPACE!" Or maybe, it's horses. Couldn't it just be what our eyes actually see?

Occam's Razor
Are you blind? That's not Occam's Razor. It's not just about simplicity. At times, it actually eliminate what's in bold, "what our eyes actually see."

BTW,
We don't feel speed, that's why Occam's Razer will eliminate that "test" when trying to determine whether the sun goes around the earth or the earth goes around the sun. Occam's Razer eliminate the unnecessary even if it's simple, and choose the necessary even if it's more complex.