• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat earthers religiously motivated or just dumb.

Terry Sampson

A non-RFian friend suggested it. Just passing it on. He said that the drift somehow caused the world to become round. I added in the weight.
Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, ... but you're both nuts! The only consequence of "drift" is a thinner, flat pancake spread out over a larger area. And adding weight to the edge of the pancake would only cause rounding if somebody's holding the central portion of it "up". Add weight to a pancake in space and you move the whole pancake away from the sun.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, ... but you're both nuts! The only consequence of "drift" is a thinner, flat pancake spread out over a larger area. And adding weight to the edge of the pancake would only cause rounding if somebody's holding the central portion of it "up". Add weight to a pancake in space and you move the whole pancake away from the sun.
Thought 1: Mmm... Pancakes... With nuts... That could work. You in for the marvelous concept of Pancake Tuesday?
Thought 2: That's what you think!!!

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you referring to Rational Experiences? Speaking of R.E., I wonder what her position is re: the Flat Earth controversy?
Actually, there was some other poster here who claimed her husband was the heir of Jesus and the Scottish Throne. And somehow the Scone of Stone or something got into the mix. The Stone Scone is from, ironically (considering this thread's topic), a Discworld novel...

Jedster

The real truth about this is that everything is flat including humans, it is a complete illusion that more than 2-D exist.
It is the greatest conspiracy kept secret from us by the elite. Here is picture of leader and don't tell anyone I told.

images

ETA: Batman & Robin are really Flatman & Ribbon

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The real truth about this is that everything is flat including humans, it is a complete illusion that more than 2-D exist.
It is the greatest conspiracy kept secret from us by the elite. Here is picture of leader and don't tell anyone I told.

images
MOISTURISE ME!

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Every Shrove Tuesday is proof that Round Earthers are wrong.

You see, that fork, like human beings, cannot fall off a pancake. This is because the fork must grab the pancake so that it can be eaten.

All of you must attend Shrove Tuesday so that you can learn the PROPER Christian tradition of eating huge amounts of pancakes.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's what I can't get,there are people who believe in a flat Earth.
I read something about this not so long ago, in the context of what drives conspiracy theorists and various sorts of crank. There are people who revel in being part of a tiny minority that stands against prevailing wisdom. I think we all know that feeling, to some degree: each of us wants to be an individual that thinks for himself, and not a sheep. It seems that in certain people, this urge to be different trumps what most of us would call rationality, or common sense. This phenomenon could even account for the religious views of some people - people on this forum, even.:eek:

The flat earth people have a society, with social gatherings. They run collective projects to try to prove their nutty idea, which can become a hobby for some people. In fact, when you think about it, it can fulfil a number of the functions of a religious community......:D

Audie

Veteran Member
Mediaeval people never really thought the Earth is flat.

Our maid from Philippines said her Mom and Dad wont
believe her that the world is round, like an orange.

Maybe sone intellectuals among the medivals understood
it but I bet over half the people in the world today think
it is flat.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
"Hahahaha, these people are so stupid! (I have an inferiority complex and feel threatened by them, and cannot explain why my own theories are correct but) look at how that one guy crash landed a rocket! What an idiot!"

You realize of course that even seasoned astronauts fail to fly ships properly? That this is not proof of anything, as you yourself are unlikely to fly any better?

If belief in a system were automatic ability to navigate a spaceship with it, then obviously, you would be able to do it yourself. Instead, you're a loser who wants to mock other losers, without understanding the first thing of what actual takeoff requires.

Both the FAA and NASA actually do admit that their mathematics for flight require a "flat non-rotating earth." I understand why such thing is the case. I daresay you do not (here's a hint: go to a science museum, and get a toy air rocket, and launch it inside, then watch how it quickly gets blown off course; you'll get thrown out, obviously, but it will prove to you that in a rotating Earth, you have to counteract the rotation of the Earth, while having the right angle to leave the atmosphere is sufficient for NASA).

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...host/labs/tgf/media/AircraftDynamicsModel.pdf

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88104main_H-1391.pdf

Btw, there is no officially agreed upon speed of a rocket ship.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-maximum-speed-of-a-rocket-per-second?share=1

11km/s? 16km/s? 73.6 km/s? 96.1 km/s ?

Now, why is that? Well, it's possible that different models advanced that much in a matter of years. However, a inconsistent story is more often a sign that the thing actually measured is being lied about. Or that the people involved want to inflate the measurements for the same reason as in a fish story, to make them appear more impressive.

The thing is, we have a consistent version of how fast the Earth orbits (probably because people wanted to be sure that one was believed), and it usually doesn't even approach how the speed of a rocket. Basically, the Earth always outruns the rocket, meaning that once a person leaves Earth's orbit to fly to any object not on Earth's orbit, a return trip is impossible because Earth has left the area and cannot be chased down. I'll draw a picture for you, since you don't get it...

rIzLuSL.png

So, suppose for a second, that you're part of a research team devoted to this planet not in Earth's orbit. You calculate that this trip will take 12 days with the latest shuttle, so the astronauts take enough for 24 days, but decide to pack 10 extra tanks for emergency. They stay six months on this planet, which orbits at a different rate and/or direction (let's say Pluto even though the distance is wrong). As you'll note from the model, this orbit is now significantly off center, and the trip that took 12 days on arrival will take roughly three times that on return. The ship runs out of fuel, and everyone dies.

This is not calculating that each day, the Earth moves about 65000 mph while this rocket is closer to 15000 mph. This means, each day, the rocket is FOUR DAYS BEHIND the Earth in its movement, plus it's six months off course. How long with it take to catch up? Answer: it won't. It will run out of fuel, the astronauts will starve, and the Earth under this model will continue to move away. Return trip is not possible.

That's interesting but I'm still getting a return flight when I go to New Zealand.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I read something about this not so long ago, in the context of what drives conspiracy theorists and various sorts of crank. There are people who revel in being part of a tiny minority that stands against prevailing wisdom. I think we all know that feeling, to some degree: each of us wants to be an individual that thinks for himself, and not a sheep. It seems that in certain people, this urge to be different trumps what most of us would call rationality, or common sense. This phenomenon could even account for the religious views of some people - people on this forum, even.:eek:

The flat earth people have a society, with social gatherings. They run collective projects to try to prove their nutty idea, which can become a hobby for some people. In fact, when you think about it, it can fulfil a number of the functions of a religious community......:D

I read about some of these societies on the web,I don't think these are enemies though ;-)