• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
There was once a popular belief that the Earth was flat, that had we sailed too far, our ship would fall over the edge.

I haven't anything to add. I guess it's a reminder that things are not always as scary as they might seem.

pexels-curioso-photography-343701 (3).jpg
pexels.com

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My tummy was once flat. But then I converted at middle age to the round tummy theory.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There was once a popular belief that the Earth was flat, that had we sailed too far, our ship would fall over the edge.

I haven't anything to add. I guess it's a reminder that things are not always as scary as they might seem.

View attachment 46325
pexels.com

Remember, the flat earth society has branches all over the globe

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 46325
pexels.com
That whole flat earth thing has been around for a while. In fact, it seems it has come full circle.

exchemist

Veteran Member

View attachment 46325
pexels.com
This has not been the view of the educated people in society since about 500BC.

Though, since there was no mass education until quite recently, in historical terms, it may have been a popular misconception.

Any sailor would have realised the sea is curved.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Believing the earth is curved is not the same as believing it is spherical necessarily though.
That's true. Though a spherical earth was the view among at least some philosophers by the time of Pythagoras in 500BC and Eratosthenes got as far as measuring its circumference in 300BC. A spherical earth was the view by the time the Ptolemaic system came to be devised, which was the model in use through the Middle Ages.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ok, i have just been out to top up on essentials, milk, bread etc because for some reason the shops are closed for a couple of days. During my return i got a puncture, just my luck, at least it wasn't raining. Pulled over, was kneeling down to fit the jack in position when another driver passes, shouting through his window... "Il est plat en bas seulement" (translated = It's only flat at the bottom).

Yes it's and old one but it lightened my mood.

PureX

Veteran Member
As you've demonstrated, there are a lot of people who vehemently resist scientific literacy, so the existence genuine flat-earthers isn't far fetched.
There was a documentary on these flat Earth proponents on Netflix a while back. It was pretty interesting. There seems to be some sort of psychological thing going on. A kind of paranoid logic trap that causes people to be attracted to these weird alternative realities and to fight to maintain them. They NEED to be the 'rare visionary' that sees through the mass delusion that everyone else has fallen for.

In the documentary a group of these flat Earthers set out to PROVE the Earth was flat using a laser experiment. (They are that convinced that they're right.) And, of course, the experiment proved exactly the opposite. Yet they would not accept the results of THEIR OWN experiment. They insisted that it had somehow gone wrong, or been misinterpreted, and they began inventing possible "errors" to account for their own experiment's results. It was pretty interesting. They just couldn't accept being wrong about it. They were so deeply invested in the idea that they had the "real" knowledge while everyone else was deceived.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

View attachment 46325
pexels.com
Amd if the world was flat then cats would have knocked almost everything off the planet by now.
2528246_2.jpg