• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flashback Election

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I don't know why this came to mind, but this was from the first Presidential Election that I was old enough to ever remember seeing take place on television. I know many here were not around yet, so I don't know if you knew such a landslide was possible. No, this is not fake. They say one of the reasons was because Mondale promised to raise taxes if he got elected. Was that a wise move?

800px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

Anyone else remember watching this on TV oh so many years ago?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Yeah, I've seen this map before. I think I was using it to prove that an evil spirit was manipulating American elections or something like that in a thread a while back.

They say one of the reasons was because Mondale promised to raise taxes if he got elected. Was that a wise move?
If the goal was to win the election (instead of making the right choice), then no, it wasn't a wise move, but it was definitely an honest move, compared to Reagan's - most of what I've read suggests that even though Reagan constantly talked about small government and low taxes, he actually raised taxes for the majority of Americans. Of course, Reagan didn't advertise that, because he knew it would cost him votes.

Hmm... I do find it sort of interesting that the only state Mondale got is now the state of Michele Bachmann. What happened?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This election came after Jimmy Carter had a one term Presidency. I remember high unemployment back then. Sound familiar?

xkatz

Carter did not do a good job IMO. Also, it is ironic how my state went red, when it is almost always blue.

Wannabe Yogi

This election came after Jimmy Carter had a one term Presidency. I remember high unemployment back then. Sound familiar?

Jimmy Carter caused high unemployment and a high inflation rate on purpose. This was a strategy put in place by Paul Adolph Volcker of the Federal Reserve. To burn out the inflation.
(Who many seen as the best chairman in History) In fact much of the economic growth later on was due to these practices that cause the high inflation rate for a while. You know bad tasting medicine. Ronald Reagan benefited from these practices.
Also remember that Jimmy Carter was in no way a liberal president. The folks on the left like Kennedy hated him. He was an southern economic conservative who insisted on doing the right thing politics be damed.