• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FL Democrat Introduces Bill Requiring Public High Schools to Offer Bible Classes

Skwim

Veteran Member
/

"Jacksonville Democratic Rep. Kimberly Daniels might literally be the craziest person in the Florida Legislature right now. She is a former "exorcist" who called herself the "Demonbuster." Though she holds multiple theological degrees from a Christian seminary and has written 13 books about Christian spirituality, some of those volumes cover exorcising evil spirits. She has expressed positive sentiments about slavery, "thanked God" that her ancestors were enslaved, and shouted in a speech that "Jews own everything!" Just yesterday she admitted she once filed fake campaign-finance reports.

images

Now she wants to make sure Florida public-school students are getting their likely illegal dose of Jesus Christ: Fresh off passing a measure last year that mandated placing the words "In God We Trust" in public schools, Daniels filed a bill yesterday that would require that state-funded schools offer Christian Bible-study classes as electives.

The proposal would force public high schools to create several electives: a general world religions class (which is a pretty normal idea, to be fair) as well as multiple standalone courses on the "objective study of the Bible." Schools would be forced to run three electives, including "a course on the Hebrew Scriptures and Old Testament of the Bible, a course on the New Testament of the Bible," and a combination course on "the Hebrew Scriptures, the Old Testament of the Bible, and the New Testament of the Bible."

Hilariously, Daniels' proposal includes a disclaimer stating that she is somehow not violating laws separating church and state and that her Bible-only course won't "promote or disfavor" one religion over another.
source

Evidently, the churches in Florida ain't doin' their job. They needs a little help from the government.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well, she has a right to introduce any bill she wants. That's who the folks want representing them. If it passes and becomes law, then I'd worry.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Let's have classes in the Quran, Gita and by an atheist as well as left-handed path folk. Fun!

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Let's have classes in the Quran, Gita and by an atheist as well as left-handed path folk. Fun!

All these religious scriptures should be taught as fictional literature of folk mythology; atheism could be taught as a lack of belief in God or gods on the basis there's no evidence for any supernatural deities.

In order to have a deep understanding of the Quran, Arabic should first be taught before the study of Islamic mythology.

Ellen Brown

She's a dummy. You are supposed to study that stuff at home with your parents. Schools were originally started so folk could read the Bible. First mistake.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
She's a dummy. You are supposed to study that stuff at home with your parents. Schools were originally started so folk could read the Bible. First mistake.

When I was in home schooling, The Bible was my favorite book to read during my reading lessons....:)

My cousins were especially very young when they studied and preached the Bible.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

This is a very quick way to get her to change her mind. I remember the whole voucher bill (Lo. I think) which enabled private Christian k-12 schools to get funding from government via the voucher. People pointed out bill became applicable (as it couldn't pick favorites) to other religious schools. The bill was scrapped by it's own advocates.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The Bible should be taught as fiction literature rather than as written history.

Well actual things in the bible have historical relevance. The book does have some historical truths in it so why treat it as if you would treat the fictitious book Narnia?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Here in Jesustan (southern Indiana), such a high school elective was offered.
The local conservative Christians VEHEMENTLY opposed it. They couldn't agree upon what is was "theologically correct" to teach. From Catholics objecting to Church history to Mormons objecting to LDS history to Lutherans objecting to Luther's teachings being taught,

The school board finally just canceled the class.

It was very amusing to non-theists.

Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Here in Jesustan (southern Indiana), such a high school elective was offered.
The local conservative Christians VEHEMENTLY opposed it. They couldn't agree upon what is was "theologically correct" to teach. From Catholics objecting to Church history to Mormons objecting to LDS history to Lutherans objecting to Luther's teachings being taught,

The school board finally just canceled the class.

It was very amusing to non-theists.

Tom
Or theists who are not focused on doctrinal differences. Such as, for example commandment 10: You shall set up these stones, which I command you today, on Mount Gerizim. Ten Commandments - Wikipedia

So whatever you do, don't covert your neighbor's (female) slaves:

Capture.PNG

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Or theists who are not focused on doctrinal differences. Such as, for example commandment 10: You shall set up these stones, which I command you today, on Mount Gerizim. Ten Commandments - Wikipedia

So whatever you do, don't covert your neighbor's (female) slaves:

View attachment 26419
That list leaves out the original Ten Commandments. According to the Bible those were not the first Ten, Moses had a bad memory:

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 34 - Contemporary English Version

Even though the Title is slightly misleading :
"The Second Set of Commandments"

Those commandments are the ones that God supposedly gave the first time and that is the copy that was kept in the Ark of the Covenant. If you recall Moses was so upset by the carrying on of the Hebrews when he came down from the mountain the first time he broke the commandments. He had to go back up to get God to help make a second set.

"17 Don’t make metal images of gods.

18 Don’t fail to observe the Festival of Thin Bread in the month of Abib. Obey me and eat bread without yeast for seven days during Abib, because that is the month you left Egypt.

19 The first-born males of your families and of your flocks and herds belong to me.

20 You can save the life of a first-born donkey by sacrificing a lamb; if you don’t, you must break the donkey’s neck. You must save every first-born son.

Bring an offering every time you come to worship.

21 Do your work in six days and rest on the seventh day, even during the seasons for plowing and harvesting. 22 Celebrate the Harvest Festival each spring when you start harvesting your wheat, and celebrate the Festival of Shelters each autumn when you pick your fruit.

23 Your men must come to worship me three times a year, because I am the Lord God of Israel. 24 I will force the nations out of your land and enlarge your borders. Then no one will try to take your property when you come to worship me these three times each year.

25 When you sacrifice an animal on the altar, don’t offer bread made with yeast. And don’t save any part of the Passover meal for the next day.

26 I am the Lord your God, and you must bring the first part of your harvest to the place of worship.

Don’t boil a young goat in its mother’s milk."

Milton Platt

/

"Jacksonville Democratic Rep. Kimberly Daniels might literally be the craziest person in the Florida Legislature right now. She is a former "exorcist" who called herself the "Demonbuster." Though she holds multiple theological degrees from a Christian seminary and has written 13 books about Christian spirituality, some of those volumes cover exorcising evil spirits. She has expressed positive sentiments about slavery, "thanked God" that her ancestors were enslaved, and shouted in a speech that "Jews own everything!" Just yesterday she admitted she once filed fake campaign-finance reports.

images

Now she wants to make sure Florida public-school students are getting their likely illegal dose of Jesus Christ: Fresh off passing a measure last year that mandated placing the words "In God We Trust" in public schools, Daniels filed a bill yesterday that would require that state-funded schools offer Christian Bible-study classes as electives.

The proposal would force public high schools to create several electives: a general world religions class (which is a pretty normal idea, to be fair) as well as multiple standalone courses on the "objective study of the Bible." Schools would be forced to run three electives, including "a course on the Hebrew Scriptures and Old Testament of the Bible, a course on the New Testament of the Bible," and a combination course on "the Hebrew Scriptures, the Old Testament of the Bible, and the New Testament of the Bible."

Hilariously, Daniels' proposal includes a disclaimer stating that she is somehow not violating laws separating church and state and that her Bible-only course won't "promote or disfavor" one religion over another.
source
Evidently, the churches in Florida ain't doin' their job. They needs a little help from the government.

She is obviously trying to position herself for a presidential run on the Republican ticket in 2020

Skwim

Veteran Member
She is obviously trying to position herself for a presidential run on the Republican ticket in 2020
And considering the kind of people the Republicans choose to run on their Presidential ticket, she has as good a chance as any.