• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five black police officers charged with murder of black man after traffic stop

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And if it turned out that the selection amounted to 80% lovelies and only 20% knuckle-draggers, we would want to know why it should end up so unfairly, wouldn't we?

Now, in the case of the extremely disproportionate numbers of blacks/whites (as opposed to the other groups in the chart, which are much closer to what would be expected) we must ask why. And if we begin be concluding that blacks are much more criminally inclined, then we'd have to ask ourselves why that might be. It is, for example, very much in the nature of oppressed people to rise up -- sometimes violently -- against their oppressors. Or, when economic goods are grossly unfairly divided, for those on the losing end to look for means (perhaps illegal) of redress.

There may well be, of course, many, many more reasons for the disparity in prison populations versus non. And that's the question I was trying to bring up in the face of @We Never Know's stubborn intransigence.
You say @We Never Know is stubbornly intransigent.
Well, he is....but I think you misunderstand him in this
matter.
There's the rigidly standard view that the singular
reason for the disparity of blacks dis-proportionately
convicted of crimes, is white racism & institutional
racism implemented by whites.
It's assumed that only whites are the cause.
If white culture can be so evil, then why is it that
we cannot consider that black culture has its own
touch of evil? Perhaps it accounts for a fraction
of the disparity?
To close our eyes to any but the politically correct
view is to be blind. I'll guarantee that the situation
is far more complex than the enforcers of correct
thought on the left & the right would have us believe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This extreme sexism in culture shows the plight of the male. Maybe we need to quota system to make up for the sexist inequity in the justice system. Men get screwed in divorces, for jobs, and in many other areas, due to systemic sexism in the current law; criminal, civil and street law.

That aside, I would be curious to know more about the victim in this case. Was he an innocent man or a habitual offender. If the latter did he get away with something harsh, such that these officers were seeking justice for his victims? Lefties coddle criminals, more than their victims, so this came to mind; soft on crime can head to revenge for victims.

If a person made crime as their career, they will leave behinds scores of victims, between the times they are caught, and even more victims between times they are prosecuted. How do we make the victims whole, if we now coddle the criminals by forgiving crime. It is now worse for victims. Criminals make more money for defense lawyers, than do the victims.

Why does the Left empathize with the criminals,, more than the victims they create? Is it birds of a feather? Or does the lion's share of campaign donations, by defense attorneys to the DNC have an impact? Trump was a victim. Did the Democrats make sure the criminals were brought to justice, or did they circle the wagons to protect the criminals? Sometimes concerned citizens get tired of the systemic injustice, and will go after the criminals. I wonder what was on the minds of the police. Was it just a small straw; incident, that broke the camels back in terms of the victims of crime.

If you look at mass shooters, many felt ignored and/or were abused for years, before a small trigger causes an avalanche of terror. I would be curious about the history of everyone involved. It makes no sense for these officers to beat down an innocent man knowing they are on video, unless they felt a need for a quid pro quo for civilian and police victims.
There's a lot to address there.
I'll just say that balancing the plights of victims
with the rights of perpetrators is difficult.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You say @We Never Know is stubbornly intransigent.
Well, he is....but I think you misunderstand him in this
matter.
There's the rigidly standard view that the singular
reason for the disparity of blacks dis-proportionately
convicted of crimes, is white racism & institutional
racism implemented by whites.
It's assumed that only whites are the cause.
If white culture can be so evil, then why is it that
we cannot consider that black culture has its own
touch of evil? Perhaps it accounts for a fraction
of the disparity?
To close our eyes to any but the politically correct
view is to be blind. I'll guarantee that the situation
is far more complex than the enforcers of correct
thought on the left & the right would have us believe.
The situation is far more complex? Of course it is! Humans are far more complex than most give credit for. The case in Memphis is one much to the point. Who would expect 5 black police officers to so brutally beat one of their own? Well, maybe, in the way that was most important to those officers, Tyre Nichols wasn't "one of their own." Maybe there is a problem with the power dynamic (something I strongly expect is true -- humans do so often love to have power over their fellows, and often enough use it cruelly).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
T Who would expect 5 black police officers to so brutally beat one of their own?
Black cops beating black civilians is far more
common than you might think. Research on
implicit racism shows that blacks are racist
against blacks too. Remember Freddie Gray?
Well, maybe, in the way that was most important to those officers, Tyre Nichols wasn't "one of their own."
He wasn't one of them.
He was a civilian, ie, the enemy.
Maybe there is a problem with the power dynamic (something I strongly expect is true -- humans do so often love to have power over their fellows, and often enough use it cruelly).
I'm hoping for people to wake up the the fact
that policing is a problem far larger than racism.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm hoping for people to wake up the the fact
that policing is a problem far larger than racism.
I believe I see that, and I think I suggested that.

Years ago, to Toronto's police, gay people were a serious enemy, and they were truly out to get us. Gays got beaten by police down on Cherry Beach on Lake Ontario. They were arrested on trumped-up charges. Our own gay bath-house raid (ala Stonewall, in NY) resulted in many gay men's lives and families being completely ruined.

We worked very hard, as a community, to try to get police to understand us, and cope with us, and as laws against homosexuality were lessened, and eventually discarded, we made very real progress. The Toronto Police Force, for years, had their own float in our annual Pride Parade -- and it was a favourite. (Our fire department, too, riding on a pumper, out-sprayed all those water guns carried by revellers!)

And then, a few years ago, BLM forced a stop to the parade, and refused to let it continue until a list of demands -- including banning police from Pride altogether -- was signed. In a stroke, we made an enemy of who we had worked so hard to turn into friends. So it works both ways.

We humans sometimes don't remember to be very careful what we wish for. We want people to protect us, but when, in doing so, they acquire some power over us, then we want to curtail that power. And then when the crime rate goes up, we want more police back -- and back and forth it goes.

So, I'm trying to say the the "policing problem" is also larger than just the police.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
NPR's coverage this morning was interesting.
They finally address the larger problem of brutal policing.
But because it affects black men.
Dang....abusing Asian, Indian, & White men & women isn't a problem?
The execution of Daniel Shaver was no mere beating
resulting in death. It was a clearly a murder.
Yet there was no national outrage over a white
cop hunting & executing a white man.

Oh well...at least we finally have a case that exposes
the general problem of corrupt & deadly cops. Just
making a police force more diverse is no solution.

averageJOE

zombie
It is a horrific video. Hard to watch. A black man was lynched by 5 other black men. There is no justifying this case of police misconduct.

End qualified immunity.
Make law enforcement pay for their own liability insurance.
Make a percentage of settlements come from the officers retirement plan and department budget.

averageJOE

zombie
They are notably late with the riots and five finger discount opportunities.

Are the busses late to transport the rabblerousers to the designated locations?

Nobody yelling defund the police?

Black lives matter?

Anybody?
There are protests and marches all over the country over this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They are notably late with the riots and five finger discount opportunities.

Are the busses late to transport the rabblerousers to the designated locations?
Think police starting to be more consistently held responsible might just have something to do with a lack of rioting? That just maybe people are starting to see a light at the end of tunnel of police killing them with impunity? That there might just be a spark of hope that justice will be done?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But because it affects black men.
Dang....abusing Asian, Indian, & White men & women isn't a problem?
I am kind if surprised the media hasn't picked up on this. White people are just regular people nearly always when the police are involved, but with things like whatever movie awards establishing diversity requirements I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up on other races. Any station could run a special on police treatment of the Natives and whip up a ratings frenzy. Women and sexual abuse? Those journalists would get national attention. The mentally ill? Those who love cheap corporate pandering wouldn't be able to get enough of that.
But for some reason they don't cover those.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am kind if surprised the media hasn't picked up on this. White people are just regular people nearly always when the police are involved, but with things like whatever movie awards establishing diversity requirements I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up on other races. Any station could run a special on police treatment of the Natives and whip up a ratings frenzy. Women and sexual abuse? Those journalists would get national attention. The mentally ill? Those who love cheap corporate pandering wouldn't be able to get enough of that.
But for some reason they don't cover those.
Race (black, primarily...Asian
to a much less extent) sells.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because I felt not like digging much and it was there.
It's rare, but it happens.
But to post an example of an article about the very
thing I've claimed? You're just supporting my view.

Today on NPR, they interviewed a lawyer for the
victim's family. He said you never see videos of
cops doing that to a white man. Well, it's likely
true that not exactly 5 black cops beat a white
man who died later in a hospital. But there are
examples of cops being as brutal & even worse,
eg, outright executions. That lawyer ain't woke.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But to post an example of an article about the very
thing I've claimed? You're just supporting my view.
You claimed it doesn't happen which isn't true. It does happen, just rarely so. What I posted is the first one that showed up, and I don't feel like sorting out all the news stories today trying to find older examples.

pearl

I didn't realize until much later that he was only 100 yards from his home, the reason he was calling for his mother. I can't imagine where the defense lawyers go from here, talk about the impossibility of persons for jury who have not seen all the public media. Maybe a trial before the judge alone?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You claimed it doesn't happen which isn't true. It does happen, just rarely so.
You took me extremely literally just so you could
claim that you're right...that you win or something?
That's pretty lame.
Well the only thing you found posted the headline
as clickbait to make the very point I did.
You lose, toots!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You took me extremely literally just so you could
claim that you're right...that you win or something?
That's pretty lame.
No, I was showing it does sometimes happen, even up front amd direct I didn't feel like digging back further. I can assure you, even this story the trend holds where this guy is a regular, normal man except for the one mentioning he's white.