• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five black police officers charged with murder of black man after traffic stop

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I can't answer that.
Can you?
Can @Evangelicalhumanist

If we can't answer, does it change anything?
Well let me put forth two different hypothesis. You can decide which is more likely.

Hypothesis #1

Black people are bad people.

Hypothesis #2

There has been systematic racism and discrimination against people of colour since before your nation was founded and it continues up to this day.

watduryatink?

We Never Know

No Slack
Well let me put forth two different hypothesis. You can decide which is more likely.

Hypothesis #1

Black people are bad people.

Hypothesis #2

There has been systematic racism and discrimination against people of colour since before your nation was founded and it continues up to this day.

watduryatink?

I think it isn't my choice to make.

@Evangelicalhumanist already said In post #5
"the justice system will deal with them as it should"

Is the justice system bias? Prejudice?

If so we need to get rid of it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think it isn't my choice to make.
Sorry, you can’t just shrug this off. It matters. Understanding this matters in how you move forward.

Yes, your justice system is biased, (so is ours here in Canada before anyone thinks I am suggesting otherwise). And we all need to understand that. And we need to deal with it.

We Never Know

No Slack
Sorry, you can’t just shrug this off. It matters. Understanding this matters in how you move forward.

Yes, your justice system is biased, (so is ours here in Canada before anyone thinks I am suggesting otherwise). And we all need to understand that. And we need to deal with it.

I have nothing to do with the justice system, the criminal system or they prison system. Therefore I have no grounds to state why or why not.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I have nothing to do with the justice system, the criminal system or they prison system. Therefore I have no grounds to state why or why not.
It is not that simple. If you go around living your life thinking that black people are more prone to commit crime than white people are that has got to affect how you see the world and how you interact with people. Even if you just think it is possible.

Like this guy who just can’t say whether he is for or against slavery. It is not like he is going to own slaves or bring back slavery. But the fact that he can’t say slavery was bad means something.

And the fact that you can’t simply say that blacks people are not more prone to commit crimes says something about you.

We Never Know

No Slack
It is not that simple. If you go around living your life thinking that black people are more prone to commit crime than white people are that has got to affect how you see the world and how you interact with people. Even if you just think it is possible.

Like this guy who just can’t say whether he is for or against slavery. It is not like he is going to own slaves or bring back slavery. But the fact that he can’t say slavery was bad means something.

And the fact that you can’t simply say that blacks people are not more prone to commit crimes says something about you.

I'm not that guy.

"And the fact that you can’t simply say that blacks people are not more prone to commit crimes says something about you"

Did you mean "blacks people are more prone"

Yep it says I am not judgemental.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Study after study has shown that black people are more likely to be incarcerated and for a longer time than for the same crime committed by a white person, there is also the factor of crime being greater in really poor neighborhoods and black people being more likely to be really poor, these two factors account for most of the difference, and both factors are a consequence of racism

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Take 62%(whites) of the population and put 32% of them in prison.
Then take 12%(blacks) of the population and put 34% of them in prison.

By numbers, who has the most numbers in prison. (numbers, not %)
That's not how your graph works (as I read it).
62% of the population is unrelated to 32%
of state prison population.
The percentage of the white population
that's in prison can't be calculated from
the info in the graph.

We Never Know

No Slack
the info in the graph.

62% of the population was white(2016)

32% of the prison population was white(2016.

So it clearly says whites made up 62% of the population and 32% of the prison population.

Lyndon

Premium Member
But it doesn't say what percent of the population is in prison, duh!!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
the info in the graph.
That is correct. All the graph tells you is that of the people in prison, 32% of them are white. And that 34% of the population in prison is black.

Now, let's try a fair technique for selecting people: Let's say you wanted to pick out just 1% of a whole population for some special task -- say army service. One way you might do that is to divide their SSN by 100 and use the remainder. Thus, for example, you could just pick everybody whose SSN ended in 56. That would give you 1% of the population.

Now let's assume that the original population is 52% female and 48% male. What percentage of the selected portion do you think would be female and what percentage male, since the selection method were fair and unbiased?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is correct. All the graph tells you is that of the people in prison, 32% of them are white. And that 34% of the population in prison is black.

Now, let's try a fair technique for selecting people: Let's say you wanted to pick out just 1% of a whole population for some special task -- say army service. One way you might do that is to divide their SSN by 100 and use the remainder. Thus, for example, you could just pick everybody whose SSN ended in 56. That would give you 1% of the population.
Fixed it for you.
(I thought gays were supposed to
be good at math...like Alan Turing.)
Now let's assume that the original population is 52% female and 48% male. What percentage of the selected portion do you think would be female and what percentage male, since the selection method were fair and unbiased?
I'd guess 52% girlies, & 48% mouth breathers.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Fixed it for you.
(I thought gays were supposed to
be good at math...like Alan Turing.)
Yes, I saw that, too. But I'd be willing to bet there are some who don't see that just using the last two digits of a 9 digit number is the same as choosing 1% of them, because they wouldn't automatically understand quite what that meant.
And full points for you -- go to the head of the class!

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And if it turned out that the selection amounted to 80% lovelies and only 20% knuckle-draggers, we would want to know why it should end up so unfairly, wouldn't we?

Now, in the case of the extremely disproportionate numbers of blacks/whites (as opposed to the other groups in the chart, which are much closer to what would be expected) we must ask why. And if we begin by concluding that blacks are much more criminally inclined, then we'd have to ask ourselves why that might be. It is, for example, very much in the nature of oppressed people to rise up -- sometimes violently -- against their oppressors. Or, when economic goods are grossly unfairly divided, for those on the losing end to look for means (perhaps illegal) of redress.

There may well be, of course, many, many more reasons for the disparity in prison populations versus non. And that's the question I was trying to bring up in the face of @We Never Know's stubborn intransigence.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Premium Member
Study after study has shown that black people are more likely to be incarcerated and for a longer time than for the same crime committed by a white person, there is also the factor of crime being greater in really poor neighborhoods and black people being more likely to be really poor, these two factors account for most of the difference, and both factors are a consequence of racism

wellwisher

And let's not forget that more whites are
killed than blacks. So they too should be
concerned about deadly cops.
Also 95% of those killed are male. Perhaps
sexism is even worse than racism, eh.

This extreme sexism in culture shows the plight of the male. Maybe we need to quota system to make up for the sexist inequity in the justice system. Men get screwed in divorces, for jobs, and in many other areas, due to systemic sexism in the current law; criminal, civil and street law.

That aside, I would be curious to know more about the victim in this case. Was he an innocent man or a habitual offender. If the latter did he get away with something harsh, such that these officers were seeking justice for his victims? Lefties coddle criminals, more than their victims, so this came to mind; soft on crime can head to revenge for victims.

If a person made crime as their career, they will leave behinds scores of victims, between the times they are caught, and even more victims between times they are prosecuted. How do we make the victims whole, if we now coddle the criminals by forgiving crime. It is now worse for victims. Criminals make more money for defense lawyers, than do the victims.

Why does the Left empathize with the criminals,, more than the victims they create? Is it birds of a feather? Or does the lion's share of campaign donations, by defense attorneys to the DNC have an impact? Trump was a victim. Did the Democrats make sure the criminals were brought to justice, or did they circle the wagons to protect the criminals? Sometimes concerned citizens get tired of the systemic injustice, and will go after the criminals. I wonder what was on the minds of the police. Was it just a small straw; incident, that broke the camels back in terms of the victims of crime.

If you look at mass shooters, many felt ignored and/or were abused for years, before a small trigger causes an avalanche of terror. I would be curious about the history of everyone involved. It makes no sense for these officers to beat down an innocent man knowing they are on video, unless they felt a need for a quid pro quo for civilian and police victims.