• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fish which predates the dinosaurs found alive

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Source: ‘Extinct Fossil Fish’ dating back 420 million years found alive in Madagascar

I honestly find this really, really cool. And just look at that fish! It looks kind of amazing in a way. To see what a creature which greatly predates the dinosaurs looks like - at least now. Anyone else just kind of fascinated in general? Hopefully they can preserve this creature to keep it from going extinct now that they've found it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Source: ‘Extinct Fossil Fish’ dating back 420 million years found alive in Madagascar

I honestly find this really, really cool. And just look at that fish! It looks kind of amazing in a way. To see what a creature which greatly predates the dinosaurs looks like - at least now. Anyone else just kind of fascinated in general? Hopefully they can preserve this creature to keep it from going extinct now that they've found it.
Old news. Modern coelacanths were first discovered in 1938. Your discovery is 75 years old. They are not the same fish at all, they are the same order of fish. For example humans are primates. But so are lemurs and tarsiers.

Coelacanth - Wikipedia

The fossil examples that we we see used to live in relatively shallow waters. Those species appear to have all died out. The modern coelacanth is a deep sea fish. Fish that do not live on the continental shelves are very very unlikely to be fossilized. Most of the oceans are deep seas and if the life in it always lived in deep seas our odds of finding their fossils is extremely small. As a result findings like this are rare but not totally unexpected.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Old news. Modern coelacanths were first discovered in 1938. Your discovery is 75 years old. They are not the same fish at all, they are the same order of fish. For example humans are primates. But so are lemurs and tarsiers.

Coelacanth - Wikipedia

The fossil examples that we we see used to live in relatively shallow waters. Those species appear to have all died out. The modern coelacanth is a deep sea fish. Fish that do not live on the continental shelves are very very unlikely to be fossilized. Most of the oceans are deep seas and if the life in it always lived in deep seas our odds of finding their fossils is extremely small. As a result findings like this are rare but not totally unexpected.

Thanks for letting me know!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No problem. It is a bit disgusting when sources that try to claim to be scientific bring up rather old discoveries as if they were brand new and then are inaccurate in their description. They are merely after clicks. Those sort of misrepresentations are also frequently grabbed onto by creationists that hope to disprove evolution.

Yeah, it fooled me too.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

To me this alone is an answer to the Fermi Paradox. Humanity likely has reached space before anything else.

So space is ours for the taking! :japanesegoblin: