• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fish Wars

chlotilde

Madame Curie
Well to answer my question before I ask it...it means whatever you want it to mean!!

But I'm wondering about those crazy car decals of fish with Darwin written inside. I always thought they were Christians (with the fish-ICHTHUS) who believed in evolution (with the word Darwin)...but I've come across some non-theists who think it just means evolutionist (then why the fish?)...what do others take these decals to mean?

chlotilde

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I thought it meant that it was a Christian who believes in Evolution but it turns out to just be a mockery of the Jesus fish. I don't know why they symbolize him with a fish anyway. Jesus wasn't a swimmer, he'd rather walk. I guess it's better than a cross, which is an instrument of death. At least it's not a monkey nailed to a cross. That would even tick off non- christians.

Nanda

Polyanna
I always took it to be a joke. It's poking fun at Christianity, or creationists, specifically. That's why sometimes you see one of those Darwin fish being swallowed by a bigger Jesus fish that says "Truth."

untitled.jpg

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well to answer my question before I ask it...it means whatever you want it to mean!!

But I'm wondering about those crazy car decals of fish with Darwin written inside. I always thought they were Christians (with the fish-ICHTHUS) who believed in evolution (with the word Darwin)...but I've come across some non-theists who think it just means evolutionist (then why the fish?)...what do others take these decals to mean?

chlotilde

I have always thought it was intended as a parody of the ichthys fish (Jesus fish).

This comes from wikipedia.

In 1983, two friends involved in the southern California atheist and freethought movements, Al Seckel and John Edwards, co-created the Darwin fish design, which was first used on a freethought leaflet for Atheists United in 1984. It was then sold by Atheists United and other freethought groups, which got free permission from Seckel and Edwards throughout the 80s, to be used on bumper stickers and t-shirts

But I like your idea of a symbol for Christians who believe in evolution. I would also like to see a symbol for atheists who support science but don’t wish to bash religion.

uumckk16

I thought it meant that it was a Christian who believes in Evolution but it turns out to just be a mockery of the Jesus fish. I don't know why they symbolize him with a fish anyway. Jesus wasn't a swimmer, he'd rather walk. I guess it's better than a cross, which is an instrument of death. At least it's not a monkey nailed to a cross. That would even tick off non- christians.

"Fish" in Greek is an acronym for "Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Savior."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_fish