• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Week of Excavating

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So, last week my department at university opened its first season of excavations at Tel Tibna, which is identified with Timnat Heres, the home of Joshua Bin-Nun. I'm going to be there for the entire season.

Here's a summary of what went on last week:
We opened up two digging areas on the Tel, areas A and B (yes, very creative names, especially when you realize that coincidentally, the respective area heads' names start with those letters...).

So far in Area A we've uncovered remains of a Jordanian bunker from the pre-Six Day War era. From the looks of the several IDF bullets found around the Tel, it seems that the IDF may have settled the bunker for a certain period after the war, clearing out Jordanian items. It's quite likely that they were the ones who subsequently covered the bunker with dirt. In other squares in the area, Hellenistic and Roman architectural pieces have begun to be uncovered, such as stone columns.
In terms of smaller items, we've found coins from various eras (from the Ptolemaic through the Roman periods), pieces of pottery, pieces of ancient glassware, a decorated stone fragment, clay bricks and an ammonite fossil.

In Area B we've uncovered a building with plastered walls and a previously-arched ceiling (now collapsed) which might have been some kind of bathhouse or even a mikveh, as well as several walls probably from the Hellenistic period. Among the smaller items are various coins, another ammonite fossil, the excavation's first in situ pottery vessel, a mini pottery candle and more.

Some pictures:

Area A at sunrise:

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 12.19.10 AM.jpeg

A pottery shard:

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 12.19.09 AM (1).jpeg

A cleaned shard of an Iron Age II cooking vessel, as well as other pottery shards:

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 12.19.09 AM (2).jpeg

My square after a few days of digging:

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 12.19.09 AM.jpeg

And the Jerusalem Post requested permission to use our pictures for an article about the excavation. Unfortunately, as they didn't consult us on anything else, the article came out poorly, with several mistakes. But you can check it out here:

First archaeological dig begins at site believed to be Joshua's tomb

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, last week my department at university opened its first season of excavations at Tel Tibna, which is identified with Timnat Heres, the home of Joshua Bin-Nun. I'm going to be there for the entire season.

We opened up two digging areas on the Tel, areas A and B (yes, very creative names, especially when you realize that coincidentally, the respective area heads' names start with those letters...).

So far in Area A we've uncovered remains of a Jordanian bunker from the pre-Six Day War era. From the looks of the several IDF bullets found around the Tel, it seems that the IDF may have settled the bunker for a certain period after the war, clearing out Jordanian items. It's quite likely that they were the ones who subsequently covered the bunker with dirt. In other squares in the area, Hellenistic and Roman architectural pieces have begun to be uncovered, such as stone columns.
In terms of smaller items, we've found coins from various eras (from the Ptolemaic through the Roman periods), pieces of pottery, pieces of ancient glassware, a decorated stone fragment, clay bricks and an ammonite fossil.

In Area B we've uncovered a building with plastered walls and a previously-arched ceiling (now collapsed) which might have been some kind of bathhouse or even a mikveh, as well as several walls probably from the Hellenistic period. Among the smaller items are various coins, another ammonite fossil, the excavation's first in situ pottery vessel, a mini pottery candle and more.

Some pictures:

Area A at sunrise:

View attachment 64992

A pottery shard:

View attachment 64993

A cleaned shard of an Iron Age II cooking vessel, as well as other pottery shards:

View attachment 64994

My square after a few days of digging:

View attachment 64995

And the Jerusalem Post requested permission to use our pictures for an article about the excavation. Unfortunately, as they didn't consult us on anything else, the article came out poorly, with several mistakes. But you can check it out here:

First archaeological dig begins at site believed to be Joshua's tomb
What a great opportunity!

Heyo

Veteran Member

Very interesting.
3000 years within what seems to be one meter. How are you going to determine horizons?
(In Europe we expect roughly one centimeter of coverage per decade. Unless there is erosion, out of period items would be seen as transfers.)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Very interesting.
3000 years within what seems to be one meter. How are you going to determine horizons?
(In Europe we expect roughly one centimeter of coverage per decade. Unless there is erosion, out of period items would be seen as transfers.)
Well, right now the vast majority of the findings in Area A are not in situ because the place had been previously dug by soldiers and possibly also antiquities thieves, but usually periods are determined by floor layers. However, we haven't found any floors yet. Maybe this week. So it's not entirely accurate to say 3000 years in one meter.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
As an ignorant member, I had to search for Joshua Bin -Nun......
Joshua (born Hoshea; Heb.:"salvation") was the son of Nun, of the Tribe of Ephraim. He was an Israelite leader in Ephraim who was selected as successor of Moses by God. He served as an aide to Moses during the 40 years of journeying through the wilderness. He became the leader of the nation of Israel, and theocratic judge, in Canaan.