• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time reading a holy scripture.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So I was in middle-school. I read Quran to find a proof for God existing. When there was no verse saying "As for the proof of me existing, here it is", I assumed there was none in the Quran.

I was so frustrated with Quran and couldn't perform daily prayers. I was pissed at Islam and it's God. I doubted God severely.

Actually the whole Quran looked like messy goo to me, none of it was coherent or flowed.

But there was one verse that caught my attention. And it was how people are tried with belief and disbelief every year and I felt it maybe be the case, it was my fault, and not Quran's fault or that I didn't understand properly.

I put away religion on hold for a while. This first reading was in grade 7.

I also put in my mind, that I would one day study more religions.

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
You know, I don't remember the first time I read the bible. It definitely was in my life ever since my earliest beginnings, so I never really knew any other way. It wasn't until I read the Gathas before I fully came away with the understanding that scripture isn't a unique thing, and every religion has their slice of truth. Not all truths are created equal, though, and not all truths need a book to be found.

I guess that's one reason I love the Nordic mythos so much. The Sagas are imperfect, they're gritty, and they're self aware. Lokasenna is an example of that, as the dirty laundry of the gods are out on full display.

Perfect gods don't really resonate with me when we live in such an imperfect world - doesn't seem to reflect nature, IMO.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My dad made me read the Bible as a kid. I never really felt anything for it; I did it out of duty.

I read a piece of the Mahabharata; it was in another book I was reading. And I felt like a deep thirst had been quenched, and I had to have more. I started seeking out other translations, or even pieces of it online. It was/is alive for me.

This is how a scripture should be, in my opinion. I understand different scriptures bring out feelings for different people, but if it doesn't 'grab' you, it might not be the right one for you.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So I was in middle-school. I read Quran to find a proof for God existing. When there was no verse saying "As for the proof of me existing, here it is", I assumed there was none in the Quran.

I was so frustrated with Quran and couldn't perform daily prayers. I was pissed at Islam and it's God. I doubted God severely.

Actually the whole Quran looked like messy goo to me, none of it was coherent or flowed.

But there was one verse that caught my attention. And it was how people are tried with belief and disbelief every year and I felt it maybe be the case, it was my fault, and not Quran's fault or that I didn't understand properly.

I don't remember when I first started reading the Bible for myself but probably around age 11. I started at Genesis and got bogged down in Leviticus. There was a lot of repetition about offerings. It was very boring so I stopped reading. In high School I started again in Proverbs and found that to have a lot of wisdom. I was saved by reading John chapter 3 in my late twenties but my reading then was largely the prophets. I didn't read the whole Bible until I was baptized in the spirit ie spoke in tongues.

By the time I read the Qu'ran I was reading with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and He was helpful in resolving the apparent inconsistencies between the Bible and the Qu'ran.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You know, I don't remember the first time I read the bible. It definitely was in my life ever since my earliest beginnings, so I never really knew any other way. It wasn't until I read the Gathas before I fully came away with the understanding that scripture isn't a unique thing, and every religion has their slice of truth. Not all truths are created equal, though, and not all truths need a book to be found.

I guess that's one reason I love the Nordic mythos so much. The Sagas are imperfect, they're gritty, and they're self aware. Lokasenna is an example of that, as the dirty laundry of the gods are out on full display.

Perfect gods don't really resonate with me when we live in such an imperfect world - doesn't seem to reflect nature, IMO.

I wonder why the one you want is the evil one and not the perfect one.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I wonder why the one you want is the evil one and not the perfect one.

I wonder why you assume that anything that isn't "perfect" is automatically evil?

Often times things in life aren't good, nor are they evil. They just exist as they are.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
My dad made me read the Bible as a kid. I never really felt anything for it; I did it out of duty.

I read a piece of the Mahabharata; it was in another book I was reading. And I felt like a deep thirst had been quenched, and I had to have more. I started seeking out other translations, or even pieces of it online. It was/is alive for me.

This is how a scripture should be, in my opinion. I understand different scriptures bring out feelings for different people, but if it doesn't 'grab' you, it might not be the right one for you.

I believe a good poet could grab you also but it would not necessarily be helpful. The thing the OP is saying is that he read in the beginning and was frustrated but later found something redemptive in it. I believe we are all on a journey but we should not burn bridges because we may wish to revisit the old places.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I wonder why you assume that anything that isn't "perfect" is automatically evil?

Often times things in life aren't good, nor are they evil. They just exist as they are.

I believe perfect means the ultimate good and anything less is evil. For instance God has ordained marriage to be between one man and one woman while they both live but Hel and Odin had multiple sex partners without the benefit of marriage.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I believe perfect means the ultimate good and anything less is evil. For instance God has ordained marriage to be between one man and one woman while they both live but Hel and Odin had multiple sex partners without the benefit of marriage.

What Hel and Odin do really doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to emulate them or even emulate aspects of them. They are them and I am me. They don't live my life, I do.

When it boils down to it, we are on this world existing by our own wits, and to depend on gods is no different to me than to depend on your parents or to depend on your spouse. You lose a bit of yourself and live by the whims of another... I've done that already, and I really see no reason to go back to that.

I would rather respect nature for what it is, good and bad, than to be stuck in high minded deepities that really do me no good in my day to day life. I prefer to keep myself grounded, but that's my take for my own life at least.

First time reading a holy scripture.

My friend told me when I was young that smoking is a sin. I didn’t smoke, but my dad did and that is why I wanted to check does the Bible actually say so, and so begun my reading of scriptures. Very thankful for that. I think it has given me lot of wisdom. :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe a good poet could grab you also but it would not necessarily be helpful. The thing the OP is saying is that he read in the beginning and was frustrated but later found something redemptive in it. I believe we are all on a journey but we should not burn bridges because we may wish to revisit the old places.

When it comes to books/scriptures, one doesn't necessarily 'burn the bridge', so to speak... unless they burn the book. And that's just plain wasteful...

If you don't want it, you can at least put it in a book box...

My friend told me when I was young that smoking is a sin. I didn’t smoke, but my dad did and that is why I wanted to check does the Bible actually say so, and so begun my reading of scriptures. Very thankful for that. I think it has given me lot of wisdom. :)

My dad was a frustrating man to grow up with(he's admitted this and apologized to us kids for sometimes bullying us). I don't remember what he wanted that I wasn't doing, but he quoted the Bible and said that it said that children should obey their parents. I quoted the Bible and gave him the verse in which is says parents should not exasperate their children. He quietly left the room with a strange look on his face...

Gargovic Malkav

By the time I read the Qu'ran I was reading with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and He was helpful in resolving the apparent inconsistencies between the Bible and the Qu'ran.

To me, the desire to ambitiously find commonality in the message of the different books ironically caused (inner) division.
But as soon as I tempered that desire, it became easier for me to find unity.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me, the desire to ambitiously find commonality in the message of the different books ironically caused (inner) division.
But as soon as I tempered that desire, it became easier for me to find unity.

I believe the Kybalion is from God. I don't know how to prove it, but I believe it can't be from humans or Jinn.

I haven't researched too much of holy scriptures outside of Quran. Somewhat familiar with the Bible.

Gargovic Malkav

I believe the Kybalion is from God. I don't know how to prove it, but I believe it can't be from humans or Jinn.

I haven't researched too much of holy scriptures outside of Quran. Somewhat familiar with the Bible.

Kybalion?
I don't think I'm familiar with that word.
What does it mean?

firedragon

Veteran Member

5. Thamam.

Gargovic Malkav

I looked it up.
I'm not familiar with the book but based on what I read about it on the wikipedia page I think I can understand how it is of spiritual value to you.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Link, sacred texts are not philosophical debate books. They begin with the assumption of God or gods. You have a mistaken impression of their nature.

It's too bad that as a seventh grader, you didn't have any proper help in your inquiries.

... I quoted the Bible and gave him the verse in which is says parents should not exasperate their children. He quietly left the room with a strange look on his face...

Nice move. I think that is why it would be good if all would know what is said in the Bible. too often people take just some scripture and use it against others while ignoring the rest of it.