• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time I tried falafel

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, they are good! In my town there's often a girl who stands near the falafel restaurant handing out free falafels. Its awesome.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Vegetarians are awesome, if I do say so myself :D
But surely there are other options for you?

Not stalking me huh? :p

Well, some places have a much greater choice now, but still a lot will have falafel burgers or wraps only. Or then boring things like cheese and tomato pizza or pasta - I'm not really into that :D

But, I like it, so I'm not complaining!

Smoke

Done here.
I've never eaten a falafel.
Or hummus.

:(

Someone make them for me?

I love falafel. Not crazy about hummus.

John isn't as much of a falafel lover as I am, and if I make it from a mix he says it's too dry. So I'm going to try to make some fresh. soon.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Do share how you make them by hand. :)

A lot of people seem to like falafels, so I just googled falafel mixes, and they have them at the supermarket I go to. I'll buy and try them. :)

They sell hummus, but I'm not going to buy it until I know what it tastes like.

Smoke

Done here.
Do share how you make them by hand. :)
I've never made falafel from scratch, but I found this recipe. It looks easy and sounds good.

about.com said:
Ingredients:

1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons flour
Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying
Preparation:

Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

Serve hot.

Serving Suggestion
Falafel can be served as an appetizer with hummus and tahini, or as a main course. Stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, tahini, salt and pepper. As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger.

Serves 4.

They sell hummus, but I'm not going to buy it until I know what it tastes like.
As with grits, not much, but you can put all kinds of stuff in it. Groceries sometimes sell hummus in several different flavors, so if you want to try it, get a flavor that sounds good to you.

Hummus is okay; I just don't have the same enthusiasm for it that I have for falafel.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Glad you liked it. We have falafels every now and then, and I see it as cheap and healthy fast food. Most falafel recipes on the 'net are relatively similiar, but I cook some chickpeas, mash them up, add some tahini, a little bit of wheat flour, some minced garlic, and then I snip some herbs from the garden and add the (usually some parsley, basil, marjoram), and then add a handful of cumin. I'll throw in a dash of red pepper flakes just to give it a kick.

Mix it all up and with wet hands form them in slightly flattened balls, fry them up, fit them into pitas with choice of condiments (veggies, tahini lemon sauce). I love it!

Hummus is awesome, btw.

Nanda

Polyanna
Falafel is one of my favorite foods. I love it on grilled naan bread with hummus.

John isn't as much of a falafel lover as I am, and if I make it from a mix he says it's too dry. So I'm going to try to make some fresh. soon.

I generally find mixes dry, too, but Telma falafel is quite moist and delicious. :)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I've never made falafel from scratch, but I found this recipe. It looks easy and sounds good.

My wife tried to make it once from scratch; it fell apart in the deep fryer.
I'll have to have her take a look at this recipe, maybe it'll hold together better. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
My wife tried to make it once from scratch; it fell apart in the deep fryer.
I'll have to have her take a look at this recipe, maybe it'll hold together better. :D

It's the reaction of the gluten to heat and moisture that helps keep it together. I add enough flour to get a "feel" of gluten within the mixture. Maybe that will help? :shrug:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's the reaction of the gluten to heat and moisture that helps keep it together. I add enough flour to get a "feel" of gluten within the mixture. Maybe that will help? :shrug:

No clue, I can hardly scramble eggs.

I'll suggest it the boss though.