• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"First Strike" - 1979 Cold War era documentary

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's a 35-minute video, but the first 10-11 minutes are kind of riveting, outlining a potential hypothetical scenario where the Soviets launched a first strike against the United States. I remember watching this when I was a teenager, and it scared the bejesus out of me.

I think it was documentaries like this which fed into notions at the time that President Carter was too weak and that America had been losing its edge in the arms race. Even people who I knew to be anti-war and anti-military were starting to razz on Carter by this time. In 1979, one of the key events I recall was the overthrow of the Shah, with the new Islamic Republic of Iran openly hostile to the U.S., leading to the takeover of our embassy and hostage crisis. Then, there was also the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, which was another troubling development.

And the idea that we could be caught off-guard like that, with a successful Soviet first strike with us in a position to do nothing about it. There had been a great deal of discussion about how the US had gotten too weak and our military forces were withering on the vine. The view that eventually prevailed was that we needed stronger leadership and a massive increase in defense spending.

And that's what we got. In 1980, Ronald Reagan thoroughly defeated Carter, with John Anderson running as the spoiler. Many saw Reagan as a bit of a warmonger, and to be sure, US policy shifted to more interventionism and militarism. But it wasn't as bad as some people thought it might be. After all, we're still alive and able to talk about it.

The Strategic Defense Initiative (aka "Star Wars") seemed to be a boondoggle. It had the Soviets worried, but there were some doubts as to whether it would even work. Anyone calling for disarmament were dismissed as commies.

I don't think anyone in my family made any preparations for nuclear war. We didn't have a bomb shelter. They had fallout shelters at schools and other public buildings. We were in a first strike zone, a high-priority target, so I figured if it was going to happen, let it happen as quickly as possible. I had no interest in surviving a nuclear war.

We seem to be entering another Cold War, if not already. Or maybe the old Cold War never really ended. It was just put on pause, but now it's coming back.

What are your memories of the Cold War? Did you have any bomb shelters or make any preparations? Did anyone think there might really be a nuclear war?

Is a nuclear war winnable? Assuming country A could launch a surprise first strike which overwhelm country B's defenses so quickly that their ability to counterstrike is all but completely wiped out in the first wave. Therefore, no counterstrike.

That was the main objection to ABM systems and "Star Wars," since it would allow the US to launch a first strike and have the ability to launch missiles to knock out Soviet missiles headed to the US.

I'm glad these missiles were never used, but what a waste - for both sides. What were they thinking? Each side thought the other was going to attack them, yet neither side ever did. They also used other countries as pawns in this game, leading to strife and civil wars throughout the world.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm glad these missiles were never used, but what a waste - for both sides. What were they thinking? Each side thought the other was going to attack them, yet neither side ever did. They also used other countries as pawns in this game, leading to strife and civil wars throughout the world.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record. Our culture was damaged by the world wars. All of the deaths and all of the superstitions which came out of that war deeply messed us up. I don't want the baby boomers to die, but until they die normalcy will be that much further away. They are messed up by war. I think 'Tainted' would be the appropriate term. I also am tainted by war, but I am somewhat removed from the world wars.

I guess that could be crazy thinking. Haven't there always been wars? Who am I to say that one generation is tainted? I think they are though.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is a nuclear war winnable? Assuming country A could launch a surprise first strike which overwhelm country B's defenses so quickly that their ability to counterstrike is all but completely wiped out in the first wave. Therefore, no counterstrike.
At minute 12 the Secretary of Defense (Schlesinger) complains that the US, having pursued a course of restraint in military spending is unable to defend against a first strike and that the Soviets "...Are not only procuring more defense hardware than the United States by ninety or a hundred percent they are out spending the entire free world in the area of military investment and one must assume that they have some calculation and some motive for that behavior..." Today that is what the USA does. Its only a small part of our GDP, but we outspend everyone in this area.

At minute 27 the video talks about the potential of the B1 bomber to fly 600mph at treetop level, perfect for carrying cruise missiles inland. Such a capability is not limited to defense. It can be used to decimate, should the US government go crazy or lose control of its military. The view of the USA is very one sided about it. Its our planes, and we're completely trustworthy. No one should be frightened that we have this power. If the Soviets complain it is propaganda. They are only complaining, because they are dishonest and wish to undermine our defenses. This is the message I hear in childhood. Soviet propaganda is used by the Soviet govt. to frighten its people, justifying its military build up. But our government isn't doing that. Our government can be trusted, and we have to be ready for the nasty fascists in control of the soviets who have been influenced by Satan. Satan wants to destroy America, the bastion of freedom which God founded.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
At minute 12 the Secretary of Defense (Schlesinger) complains that the US, having pursued a course of restraint in military spending is unable to defend against a first strike and that the Soviets "...Are not only procuring more defense hardware than the United States by ninety or a hundred percent they are out spending the entire free world in the area of military investment and one must assume that they have some calculation and some motive for that behavior..." Today that is what the USA does. Its only a small part of our GDP, but we outspend everyone in this area.

At minute 27 the video talks about the potential of the B1 bomber to fly 600mph at treetop level, perfect for carrying cruise missiles inland. Such a capability is not limited to defense. It can be used to decimate, should the US government go crazy or lose control of its military. The view of the USA is very one sided about it. Its our planes, and we're completely trustworthy. No one should be frightened that we have this power. If the Soviets complain it is propaganda. They are only complaining, because they are dishonest and wish to undermine our defenses. This is the message I hear in childhood. Soviet propaganda is used by the Soviet govt. to frighten its people, justifying its military build up. But our government isn't doing that. Our government can be trusted, and we have to be ready for the nasty fascists in control of the soviets who have been influenced by Satan. Satan wants to destroy America, the bastion of freedom which God founded.

Yes, there was a great deal of that in the media, and it was also widely discussed as I recall. Whole generations were raised with movies and TV shows which involve total destruction in one form or another. But it wasn't the 1950s anymore. After Vietnam and Watergate, there was mistrust of the government and a strong anti-war sentiment which still remained. But documentaries like this and a certain sentiment that America had grown weak and was potentially in grave danger started to arise more and more. Carter was seen as weak and ineffectual as a leader.

I also recall watching a religious-oriented broadcast around the same time, which gave a religious perspective on Cold War politics. It didn't give any specific endorsements for any candidate. But it clearly was geared towards a pro-military, right-wing platform. The main message was that we needed all kinds of new hardware and equipment to fight the godless commies. (But there was a focus on domestic problems and their perceptions of moral decline in America since they banned prayer in school.)

This seemed a major turning point in public opinion, which had grown more anti-war during the Vietnam War and post-war years going into the Carter Administration. But in 1979-81, it started shifting back to a more militaristic viewpoint. Not quite the 1950s, but it still had a sense of urgency about it.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
You know what's funny? Based on the respective military doctrines of the day, any nuclear first strike would have likely come from NATO, not the USSR.