• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Step Act on hold in Senate

Do support the First Strp Act?

• Yes, I support it

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, I don’t support it

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I want to support, in principle, but I can’t because President Trump supports it and I hate him ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tytlyf

Not Religious
Ew. I would support it if not for garbage like this.
That's how capitalists think. Create a 'help' program to funnel in tax dollars. These people know they can rip the govt off for ridiculous amounts of cash. That's why the MIC is so problematic.
Everyone knows they best way to make the most profit is to get govt contracts.
Prisoners are just dollar signs to these people.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's how capitalists think. Create a 'help' program to funnel in tax dollars. These people know they can rip the govt off for ridiculous amounts of cash. That's why the MIC is so problematic.

So you're okay with paying people in other countries for this work?

tytlyf

Not Religious
So you're okay with paying people in other countries for this work?
I already stated I'm not in favor of this plan because it's just another exploitation avenue for crooked (greedy) corporations. If you can get your hands on tax dollars for revenue, you've hit the jackpot!

Take General Dynamics for example (MIC).

-Sell products at an extravagant premium to tax payers
-War is good for profit
-Continued war is good for profit
-Extra points if you can get additional profits from tax payer subsidies

Avoid these things if you're not greedy. There's nothing wrong with capitalism. Once it reaches a certain level it turns to greed/destruction

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I already stated I'm not in favor of this plan because it's just another exploitation avenue for crooked (greedy) corporations. If you can get your hands on tax dollars for revenue, you've hit the jackpot!

Take General Dynamics for example (MIC).

-Sell products at an extravagant premium to tax payers
-War is good for profit
-Continued war is good for profit
-Extra points if you can get additional profits from tax payer subsidies

Avoid these things if you're not greedy. There's nothing wrong with capitalism. Once it reaches a certain level it turns to greed/destruction

Not sure if you understand the premise here. The jobs are already being done by foreign workers. This bill would not only benefit the American economy but it would also give job training to a sector of our society that probably has the most trouble seeking gainful employment; not to mention the sense of self-worth that comes from working an honest job.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not sure if you understand the premise here. The jobs are already being done by foreign workers. This bill would not only benefit the American economy but it would also give job training to a sector of our society that probably has the most trouble seeking gainful employment; not to mention the sense of self-worth that comes from working an honest job.
You're trying to sell justice & well being for the lowest class of
people in the country. This would be an easy job if a Democrat
were Prez, but not if there's any chance Trump might get credit.
I wonder if opposition is based upon 2020 calculations?

Shaul

Premium Member
Nope. Read the actual Act. It simply allows for religious organizations the same standing to offer a secular service under the Act. Just like religious hospitals are allow similar opportunities for medical services. It also isn’t about lining the pockets of corporations. It is about providing support for the released inmates in the most cost effective manner. Which helps the inmates and the taxpayers. It is a win-win case.

Think again. If this act was a subterfuge to crypt-fund religions or corporations using tax funds then the ACLU would be the last ones supporting it. And they would know if that was the case far better than you.

Be honest. You just want to find some pretext for opposing this Act because President Trump supports.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You're trying to sell justice & well being for the lowest class of
people in the country. This would be an easy job if a Democrat
were Prez, but not if there's any chance Trump might get credit.
I wonder if opposition is based upon 2020 calculations?
I offer the "only Nixon could go to China" observation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nope. Read the actual Act. It simply allows for religious organizations the same standing to offer a secular service under the Act. Just like religious hospitals are allow similar opportunities for medical services. It also isn’t about lining the pockets of corporations. It is about providing support for the released inmates in the most cost effective manner. Which helps the inmates and the taxpayers. It is a win-win case.

Think again. If this act was a subterfuge to crypt-fund religions or corporations using tax funds then the ACLU would be the last ones supporting it. And they would know if that was the case far better than you.

Be honest. You just want to find some pretext for opposing this Act because President Trump supports.
If both the left and right support something, I'm very inclined to support it. And I see no reason to withhold support. There will be enough credit to go around.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Nope. Read the actual Act. It simply allows for religious organizations the same standing to offer a secular service under the Act.
That's what I said. It allows unconstitutional religious organizations to profit off my tax dollars. I'm not sure you understand how capitalism works and why that is the goal here.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's what I said. It allows unconstitutional religious organizations to profit off my tax dollars. I'm not sure you understand how capitalism works and why that is the goal here.

Seems the same can be said for you...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We hear a common complaint that imprisoning so many people is
driven by private prisons corrupting prosecutors, judges & legislators.
But when there's a real proposal to imprison fewer people, it's
opposed because capitalists might benefit. Go figure.

Shaul

Premium Member
Whatever an “unconstitutional religious organization” is. :rolleyes: There is nothing unconstitutional about this Act whatsoever. It is erroneous thinking it is.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Whatever an “unconstitutional religious organization” is. :rolleyes: There is nothing unconstitutional about this Act whatsoever. It is erroneous thinking it is.
The government doesn't need to be giving religious organizations tax payer money. Doesn't matter the religion either.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I understand completely what capitalism is. And a small portion of America are capitalists. You're not one. I'm not one outside of playing in the stock market.
I run a successful business by myself. You either don't work or work for someone else who might be a capitalist.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
I understand completely what capitalism is. And a small portion of America are capitalists. You're not one. I'm not one outside of playing in the stock market.
I run a successful business by myself. You either don't work or work for someone else who might be a capitalist.

Where did your starter capital come from?

BTW anyone who has a bank IRA, a pension fund, a 401K or a 457H is in the stock market. And what do you think the bank is doing with the money you have on deposit?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Not sure I'm understanding your definition of a capitalist.

Shaul

Premium Member
The government doesn't need to be giving religious organizations tax payer money. Doesn't matter the religion either.
The government isn’t “giving” tax payer money to anyone. The government solicits providers to perform secular jobs for which it pays. Whether the provider holds religious beliefs or not doesn’t change the service from being wholly secular.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
Not sure I'm understanding your definition of a capitalist.

Is someone who is in the stock market a capitalist? Is someone who obtains capital to start, expand or revive a business a capitalist? That is called a bank loan.

Anyone engaged in the use of capital, which is nothing more than money, to hopefully gain more money is a capitalist. Capitalism has been around as long as money.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The government isn’t “giving” tax payer money to anyone. The government solicits providers to perform secular jobs for which it pays. Whether the provider holds religious beliefs or not doesn’t change the service from being wholly secular.
Ya but a lot of non-profit organizations exploit the religious angle to save taxes and pocket my tax dollars.