• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First known animal that does not require oxygen to survive. So much for "breath of Life".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
pop this up as an op

oh oh

Why

Science : the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So that would point to an event in the evolution of the cell itself, correct? Multi-cellular organisms don't all arise from the development of one type of cell but there have been multiple types of cells that have evolved as the potential platform for multi-cellular evolution.

In this case, it is more likely the loss of a function (like blind fish in a cave) since it is definitely an animal and can even be put in with other animals like jellyfish. if it had really been a different multicellular evolutionary line, we would expect other differences and a completely different classification.

For example, archaebacteria are notably different in many ways from either eucaryotes or ordinary bacteria, to the point of some using sulfur instead of oxygen for energy production. A multicellular descendant of those archae's would be expected to continue to use sulfur (or to lose that ability and show other similarities to its ancestors).

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
it didn't fit any categories listed because it was made by ancient goat herders and fisherman.

A God of course would know better and you would think that the Bible would have been more accurate had it been the case to reflect knowledge that only a God would have had at the time, and make sure it was included in some way so future generations wouldn't be able to contest it.

Otherwise you would have to admit that the Bible was just a book made for ancient goat herders and fisherman.

"You would" is a weasel word.

A God may of may not be required to tell his/her followers random details. A God cares about his people (yes, who happen to be goatherders and fishers; and also extends to lawyers, doctors, businessmen, architects, unemployed, and other people in other countries besides ancient Israel up to and including the current world). Not about whether a duck-billed platypus is a mammal or bird.

I don't have to admit anything. Because the Bible is just as relevant to me (not a goatherder or fisher), as it was to these ancient people. That it isn't to you is your hangup, not mine.

I know. Satan did it.

Actually, humans did it. Satan doesn't get any credit here. Unless you want to declare that your alliance is to Satan.

Humans are intelligent. Humans designed something. Therefore, intelligent design.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It was probably created in a lab by some scientist to "disprove Intelligent Design." Nevermind that intelligent life (human) designed it.

Seriously? Why would you think that?

This is an infection of salmon. It neither harms the salmon nor is it transmissible to humans. Why would someone design this?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Why would God design something that infects salmon? Salmon are freaking awesome.

A fish with meat that is bright pink, that swims upstream, sometimes up actual waterfalls?

Only humans could do something like that. Because humans are dicks.

shmogie

5e550a3ce94be.jpg

giphy.gif

Genesis 1:30 New International Version (NIV)

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Henneguya salminicola: Microscopic parasite
It is not a beast of the earth
It is not even a bird in the sky
It is not even a creature that move along the ground
Heck it isn't even food to eat
Of course you missed the verses about sea creatures.

Does this thing have any natural predators for whom it would be food?

Was there a need for God to speak of any of the microscopic creatures, to people who had no ned for a
5e550a3ce94be.jpg

giphy.gif

Genesis 1:30 New International Version (NIV)

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Henneguya salminicola: Microscopic parasite
It is not a beast of the earth
It is not even a bird in the sky
It is not even a creature that move along the ground
Heck it isn't even food to eat
How many translations did you have to check before you found the one that you think can make your point?

The breath of life is not mentioned in the NKJV in the verses you cite., and I will check the other 8 translations I have.

This is a case for someone who reads Hebrew to clarify. I strongly suspect that if the Term exists in Hebrew, what in English has one meaning, has two.

Even so, lets take the NIV as literally the truth.

God gave everything the breath of life. What came from what God actions? Life. You think you have a valid criticism because a microscopic creature doesn't use oxygen as you think it should. Do you think God has to breathe?

Would the verse make sense to someone who doesn't know or care about micro creatures? Would it not make sense to them as an illustration of God giving life?

If you translation is correct, God dealt, then God personally Breathed into humans life.

I assure you, he did not do the same for every creature.

An illustrative term,( if used at all) and a microscopic creature, do not shatter the foundations of the Bible.

JesusKnowsYou

H. salminicola: Scientists discover first animal that doesn't breathe

Yet another example to show that the Bible is not a science book.

All the same, it's quite an amazing find and opens the possibility for life elsewhere in the universe even outside environments with oxygen atmospheres.

Nature itself is a lot more fascinating and amazing then running around with conceived religious beliefs.

I figured if some religious had their way, this information would have been suppressed.
I don't understand how this new information disputes anything in the Bible.

The Bible never claimed that all lifeforms needed to breathe oxygen or that they had the "breath of life".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't understand how this new information disputes anything in the Bible.

The Bible never claimed that all lifeforms needed to breathe oxygen or that they had the "breath of life".

Then I guess that would be best left to the God of the gaps theology.

JesusKnowsYou

Then I guess that would be best left to the God of the gaps theology.
So - you agree that the Bible never claimed that all lifeforms needed to breathe oxygen or that they had the "breath of life"?

You admit that the premise of the OP is false?

What do you mean by "gaps theology"?

gnostic

The Lost One
Wow.

Either that is very out of date, or they are dredging up "new discoveries" that actually aren't .

Look up anaerobic bacteria. And what do you think a virus is, but something that barely does any normal functions? They typically don't even define it as "alive"!

Anaerobic organism - Wikipedia
The discovery is talking about animals, not bacteria.

Bacteria are not animals. Bacteria are single-cellular organisms (so are Archaea, but you have brought up bacteria).

Yes, some bacteria are anaerobic, but the article is talking about multicellular organisms that are anaerobic, which is very unusual.

And most multicellular organisms tends to be eukaryotes, which can be any life that are plants, fungi and animals.

According to the article, Henneguya salminicola are fairly common parasites found in salmon, but in this particular species, it is a species that lost some of their normal traits: they no longer have nerves and no longer have tissues, and they no longer have DNA.

H salminicola have become oddball among other multicellular creature.

MJFlores

The Bible also states that God breaths through nostrils.....

I think God would have a bit of a difficult time with this creature to make it come alive....

source.gif

Viruses. It doesn't breathe, it doesn't eat, it doesn't excrete, and it doesn't grow – so it can't be alive, can it? It hijacks a living cell and uses it to produce so many copies of itself that it bursts the cell – so it can't be dead, can it? What is it?

Viruses — Science Learning Hub
www.sciencelearn.org.nz › resources › 591-viruses

God made the stars, planets and other heavenly bodies
Does it have the breath of life? I don't think so.

The breath of life is not mentioned in the NKJV in the verses you cite., and I will check the other 8 translations I have.

giphy.gif

KJ21
And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat”; and it was so.
ASV
and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.
AMP
and to all the animals on the earth and to every bird of the air and to everything that moves on the ground—to everything in which there is the breath of life—I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so [because He commanded it].
AMPC
And to all the animals on the earth and to every bird of the air and to everything that creeps on the ground—to everything in which there is the breath of life—I have given every green plant for food. And it was so.
BRG
And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
CSB
for all the wildlife of the earth, for every bird of the sky, and for every creature that crawls on the earth—everything having the breath of life in it—I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
CEB
To all wildlife, to all the birds in the sky, and to everything crawling on the ground—to everything that breathes—I give all the green grasses for food.” And that’s what happened.
CJB
And to every wild animal, bird in the air and creature crawling on the earth, in which there is a living soul, I am giving as food every kind of green plant.” And that is how it was.
CEV
And I have given the green plants as food for everything else that breathes. These will be food for animals, both wild and tame, and for birds.
DARBY
and to every animal of the earth, and to every fowl of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth on the earth, in which is a living soul, every green herb for food. And it was so.
DRA
And to all beasts of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to all that move upon the earth, and wherein there is life, that they may have to feed upon. And it was so done.
ERV
And I am giving all the green plants to the animals. These green plants will be their food. Every animal on earth, every bird in the air, and all the little things that crawl on the earth will eat that food.” And all these things happened.
EHV
To every animal of the earth, and to every bird of the sky, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
ESV
And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
ESVUK
And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
EXB
I have given all the green plants as food for every wild animal, every bird of the ·air [sky; heavens], and every small ·crawling [creeping] animal.” And it happened.
GNV
Likewise to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the heaven, and to everything that moveth upon the earth, which hath life in itself, every green herb shall be for meat, and it was so.
GW
I have given all green plants as food to every land animal, every bird in the sky, and every animal that crawls on the earth—every living, breathing animal.” And so it was.
GNT
but for all the wild animals and for all the birds I have provided grass and leafy plants for food”—and it was done.
HCSB
for all the wildlife of the earth, for every bird of the sky, and for every creature that crawls on the earth—everything having the breath of life in it. I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
ICB
I have given all the green plants to all the animals to eat. They will be food for every wild animal, every bird of the air and every small crawling animal.” And it happened.
ISV
I have given all green plants as food for every wild animal of the earth, every bird that flies, and to every living thing that crawls on the earth.” And that is what happened.
KJV
And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
AKJV
LEB
And to every kind of animal of the earth and to every bird of heaven, and to everything that moves upon the earth in which there is life I am giving every green plant as food.” And it was so.
TLB
And I’ve given all the grass and plants to the animals and birds for their food.”
MSG
Then God said, “I’ve given you every sort of seed-bearing plant on Earth And every kind of fruit-bearing tree, given them to you for food. To all animals and all birds, everything that moves and breathes, I give whatever grows out of the ground for food.” And there it was.
MEV
To every beast of the earth and to every bird of the air and to everything that creeps on the earth which has the breath of life in it, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.
NOG
I have given all green plants as food to every land animal, every bird in the sky, and every animal that crawls on the earth—every living, breathing animal.” And so it was.
NABRE
and to all the wild animals, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the earth, I give all the green plants for food. And so it happened.
NASB
and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.
NCV
I have given all the green plants as food for every wild animal, every bird of the air, and every small crawling animal.” And it happened.
NET
And to all the animals of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has living breath in it—I give every green plant for food.” It was so.
NIRV
I am giving every green plant as food for all the land animals and for all the birds in the sky. I am also giving the plants to all the creatures that move along the ground. I am giving them to every living thing that breathes.” And that’s exactly what happened.
NIV

We Never Know

No Slack
source.gif

Viruses. It doesn't breathe, it doesn't eat, it doesn't excrete, and it doesn't grow – so it can't be alive, can it? It hijacks a living cell and uses it to produce so many copies of itself that it bursts the cell – so it can't be dead, can it? What is it?

www.sciencelearn.org.nz › resources › 591-viruses

Is a virus life? That's almost like asking if Pluto is a planet. They can't decide.

Viruses undergo evolution and natural selection, just like cell-based life, and most of them evolve rapidly.

Evolution of viruses (article) | Viruses | Khan Academy

rational experiences

Veteran Member
source.gif

NOG
NABRE
and to all the wild animals, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the earth, I give all the green plants for food. And so it happened.
NASB
and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.
NCV
I have given all the green plants as food for every wild animal, every bird of the air, and every small crawling animal.” And it happened.
NET
And to all the animals of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has living breath in it—I give every green plant for food.” It was so.
NIRV
I am giving every green plant as food for all the land animals and for all the birds in the sky. I am also giving the plants to all the creatures that move along the ground. I am giving them to every living thing that breathes.” And that’s exactly what happened.
NIV

You have to be living past all of that information to be talking about it.

For when an animal did not exist, it was not eating food.

Food however existed before an animal did.

When I got gas burnt mind/brain irradiated attacked, and suffered what I believe is the term crown of thorns effect. Brain prickling in the radiation burning, intense pain, but I did not unnaturally bleed. I could not breathe properly.

So if you were a dim-witted evil minded male scientist who said he talked on behalf of by words and inferences by his thinking all of the huge natural bodies of powers and interactive powers, which male scientists did. Then you lived and survived an irradiation ground converting fission attack on your life body.

And know you did.....how the information was taught...about what science does and causes.

If you knew by the study/research of Planet Earth that it owned a UFO mass irradiation metallic fusion of the core, and it did not convert into Satan God O black holes as the theme of your study. Then you knew.

Which would involve realization about why a human being as a spiritual self was trapped living on Planet Earth O God body.

If a male says I was living as a large male human population with the Garden Nature as first human life....then he could have in fact of use of information.

For we all know that dinosaurs came after technology destroyed all life on Earth....and irradiated it. Archaeological evidence, sought by males as humans to prove to males as humans that they did in fact do Satanism, burnt everything to death and sent it all to Hell by his owned scientific definitions...for he does talk about sending humans to hell.

And humans have to be living as the self human to be sent to Hell....by definition conversion of God the power of.

Knowing that the cosmological story about O God bodies had fallen in space and burnt out and went to hell. So he owned every intention and still does today to do it to us again.

Why he prophecized by his own male DNA Genetic evolution that a Destroyer male psyche would emerge who would once again try to achieve it.....right in the moment where we live in modern times. Knowing that when we get irradiated, we lose our conscious spiritual life mind/psyche. Then we re evolve over a future of non science irradiation...and when the higher male aware conscious self re emerges he does it again.

Why it is a known fact.....for natural history says Egyptian pyramid copied the Atlantis first Earth destruction, only after their natural human life psyche re evolved and had healed. Then they mutated life...….when healing, vision and hearing of voice recording allowed them to prophecize and tell warn everyone that the scientist would do it again. And he did, as the Jesus event.

So spiritual humanity have always known that the males who claim God science wanted to gain stone/dust/particle destructive information to apply it to Planet O Earth the real term God and falsify natural teaching. For you cannot talk de materialization of the product of physical mass/matter unless you own every intention of causing it.

Animals says a male, I saw them manifest after my conversion was reacted.

So where did they come from, seeing first science in ancient Earth history did not own the presence dinosaurs.

Dinosaur life is after technology and radiation change/Earth conversion...so where did they come from?

Males knew and wrote the document to say, we did come out of the eternal body...and explained how it occurred. Seeing creation was also released from that same body, how space exists, as once owner of the whole eternal body.....space itself was also created.

Twilight Hue

Is a virus life? That's almost like asking if Pluto is a planet. They can't decide.

Viruses undergo evolution and natural selection, just like cell-based life, and most of them evolve rapidly.

I think one could call virus dead matter without a host, once it aquires a host, it takes on all the definitions of life and is clearly far from dead.

It's that creepy mysterious gray area between life and death that makes it so fascinating.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think one could call virus dead matter without a host, once it aquires a host, it takes o
n all the definitions of life and is clearly far from dead.

It's that creepy mysterious gray area between life and death that makes it so fascinating.

A virus can live without a host for a while but needs a host to reproduce. Are we a virus? We can't reproduce without a female host. Is sperm an implanted virus? That's just a thought and sounds crazy but think about it.

But onto it....

Are Viruses Alive
To consider this question, we need to have a good understanding of what we mean by "life." Although specific definitions may vary, biologists generally agree that all living organisms exhibit several key properties: They can grow, reproduce, maintain an internal homeostasis, respond to stimuli, and carry out various metabolic processes. In addition, populations of living organisms evolve over time.

Do viruses conform to these criteria
Yes and no. We probably all realize that viruses reproduce in some way. We can become infected with a small number of virus particles — by inhaling particles expelled when another person coughs, for instance — and then become sick several days later as the viruses replicate within our bodies. Likewise we probably all realize that viruses evolve over time. We need to get a flu vaccine every year primarily because the influenza virus changes, or evolves, from one year to the next (Nelson & Holmes 2007).

Viruses do not, however, carry out metabolic processes. Most notably, viruses differ from living organisms in that they cannot generate ATP. Viruses also do not possess the necessary machinery for translation, as mentioned above. They do not possess ribosomes and cannot independently form proteins from molecules of messenger RNA. Because of these limitations, viruses can replicate only within a living host cell. Therefore, viruses are obligate intracellular parasites. According to a stringent definition of life, they are nonliving. Not everyone, though, necessarily agrees with this conclusion. Perhaps viruses represent a different type of organism on the tree of life — the capsid-encoding organisms, or CEOs (Figure 1; Raoult & Forterre 2008).

Origin of Viruses | Learn Science at Scitable

MJFlores

giphy.gif

They cannot breathe yet they can kill and infect a lot of people.
They have slowed the business activity in China and other parts of the world.

Luke 21:11 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
There will be mighty and violent earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences (plagues: malignant and contagious or infectious epidemic diseases which are deadly and devastating); and there will be sights of terror and great signs from heaven.

We Never Know

No Slack
giphy.gif

They cannot breathe yet they can kill and infect a lot of people.
They have slowed the business activity in China and other parts of the world.

Luke 21:11 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
There will be mighty and violent earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences (plagues: malignant and contagious or infectious epidemic diseases which are deadly and devastating); and there will be sights of terror and great signs from heaven.

Sperm cannot breathe either nor can it Iive outside the body(it's host). It cannot reproduce without a female host it invades and then it pairs with the female's egg(cell) and then from there it can reproduce.

Like I said it's just a thought but it does go against everything we think and know. .

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

A virus can live without a host for a while but needs a host to reproduce. Are we a virus? We can't reproduce without a female host. Is sperm an implanted virus? That's just a thought and sounds crazy but think about it.

But onto it....

Are Viruses Alive
To consider this question, we need to have a good understanding of what we mean by "life." Although specific definitions may vary, biologists generally agree that all living organisms exhibit several key properties: They can grow, reproduce, maintain an internal homeostasis, respond to stimuli, and carry out various metabolic processes. In addition, populations of living organisms evolve over time.

Do viruses conform to these criteria
Yes and no. We probably all realize that viruses reproduce in some way. We can become infected with a small number of virus particles — by inhaling particles expelled when another person coughs, for instance — and then become sick several days later as the viruses replicate within our bodies. Likewise we probably all realize that viruses evolve over time. We need to get a flu vaccine every year primarily because the influenza virus changes, or evolves, from one year to the next (Nelson & Holmes 2007).

Viruses do not, however, carry out metabolic processes. Most notably, viruses differ from living organisms in that they cannot generate ATP. Viruses also do not possess the necessary machinery for translation, as mentioned above. They do not possess ribosomes and cannot independently form proteins from molecules of messenger RNA. Because of these limitations, viruses can replicate only within a living host cell. Therefore, viruses are obligate intracellular parasites. According to a stringent definition of life, they are nonliving. Not everyone, though, necessarily agrees with this conclusion. Perhaps viruses represent a different type of organism on the tree of life — the capsid-encoding organisms, or CEOs (Figure 1; Raoult & Forterre 2008).

Origin of Viruses | Learn Science at Scitable

I found this interesting....

~~
Yang agreed, saying, "Without a cell, a virus cannot reproduce. And so from that standpoint, it's really not alive, if you consider life to be something that can reproduce by itself independently.

However, "if you loosen up your definition of life to something that can make copies of itself with help, then you could call it alive," Yang said.~~

~~

It's thought that some of the very first life-forms on Earth were RNA molecules, as "RNA molecules, under the right conditions, can make copies of themselves," Yang said. "Viruses maybe evolved from that ancestor, but lost the capability to self-replicate."~~

Are Viruses Alive? | Live Science

We Never Know

No Slack
I found this interesting....

~~
Yang agreed, saying, "Without a cell, a virus cannot reproduce. And so from that standpoint, it's really not alive, if you consider life to be something that can reproduce by itself independently.

However, "if you loosen up your definition of life to something that can make copies of itself with help, then you could call it alive," Yang said.~~

~~

It's thought that some of the very first life-forms on Earth were RNA molecules, as "RNA molecules, under the right conditions, can make copies of themselves," Yang said. "Viruses maybe evolved from that ancestor, but lost the capability to self-replicate."~~

Are Viruses Alive? | Live Science

Here's a thought. Can you with your sperm reproduce independently? Nope you need a host.