• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Home Purchase...Sale Pending! :D

TurkeyOnRye

I just wanted to share the exciting news with everyone that I am in the midst of my very first home purchase and we are now sale pending. :D

The home is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath 2-story condo and is very close to my work. It has a washer, dryer, and fireplace, so it really feels like a home. It is a bit outdated (especially the kitchen), so I will be doing some renovation after closing. She's a modest 829 square feet, but actually feels larger than the other condos I looked at due to it being two stories and having vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom. Volume vs surface area. :cool: One nice thing about this condo is there is nobody above or below me. In fact, it shares only one wall with one neighbor as it's part of a duplex. I really wish I could've found a detached single family home, but given all the restrictions, I think I lucked out.

Although I would LOVE to move into it as my primary residence right away, I have decided to continue taking advantage of the dirt-cheap rent at my current apartment and renting the property out. My financing is a 30-year fixed conventional loan, but my current plan is to make large frequent payments, and I do think it is within the realm of possibility to get it payed off in half the time. Heck, if I play my cards right, maybe I can even pay it off faster.

Like I said, I would ADORE moving into the place...the idea of having the entire home to myself, free to romp up and down the stairs, knowing it's all mine is a GLORIOUS thought. :eek::D For that reason, I will be taking the first couple of months during the renovation to really get to know the place. I'll spend some nights there...eat there...become the owner.

Honestly, I'm really surprised to be in the shoes I'm in now. Just a few years ago, I was broke, depressed, had no career, and was basically going nowhere. I now have a stable career and am just weeks away from being handed the deed to my very first home! I certainly have plenty of things to sort-out still, but honestly, if someone had told me then that I'd be here today, I wouldn't have believed them. That is certainly something to ponder when life gets tough. :)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A small housewarming gift....
bacon-bundle.jpg

TurkeyOnRye

Hope it goes smoothly, get an ink pen that fits well in your hand so you don't get carpal tunnel from signing everything.

I hope so too. I am optimistic, but I will wait to blow the cork on the champagne for when we close. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I just wanted to share the exciting news with everyone that I am in the midst of my very first home purchase and we are now sale pending. :D

The home is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath 2-story condo and is very close to my work. It has a washer, dryer, and fireplace, so it really feels like a home. It is a bit outdated (especially the kitchen), so I will be doing some renovation after closing. She's a modest 829 square feet, but actually feels larger than the other condos I looked at due to it being two stories and having vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom. Volume vs surface area. :cool: One nice thing about this condo is there is nobody above or below me. In fact, it shares only one wall with one neighbor as it's part of a duplex. I really wish I could've found a detached single family home, but given all the restrictions, I think I lucked out.

Although I would LOVE to move into it as my primary residence right away, I have decided to continue taking advantage of the dirt-cheap rent at my current apartment and renting the property out. My financing is a 30-year fixed conventional loan, but my current plan is to make large frequent payments, and I do think it is within the realm of possibility to get it payed off in half the time. Heck, if I play my cards right, maybe I can even pay it off faster.

Like I said, I would ADORE moving into the place...the idea of having the entire home to myself, free to romp up and down the stairs, knowing it's all mine is a GLORIOUS thought. :eek::D For that reason, I will be taking the first couple of months during the renovation to really get to know the place. I'll spend some nights there...eat there...become the owner.

Honestly, I'm really surprised to be in the shoes I'm in now. Just a few years ago, I was broke, depressed, had no career, and was basically going nowhere. I now have a stable career and am just weeks away from being handed the deed to my very first home! I certainly have plenty of things to sort-out still, but honestly, if someone had told me then that I'd be here today, I wouldn't have believed them. That is certainly something to ponder when life gets tough. :)
You, kind sir, have won the much coveted "Awesome Possum" Award! Outstanding news.

I hope to have similar news in the spring once I've sold of my parents former property and found the location for the new and improved Chez Ymir! It is so exciting! I know I share your excitement!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They're really just denying themselves. Think of all the home purchases that have occurred over the years that were not celebrated with bacon. Such a shame.
Hey, if you plan to rent out the new abode, get pro advice about
all the legal aspects of it. Little things like not giving the tenant
the lead letter & booklet can result in a $10K fine.

TurkeyOnRye

You, kind sir, have won the much coveted "Awesome Possum" Award! Outstanding news.

I hope to have similar news in the spring once I've sold of my parents former property and found the location for the new and improved Chez Ymir! It is so exciting! I know I share your excitement!

Thanks Ymir. Happy to share in the excitement. There is plenty to go around. :D

TurkeyOnRye

Hey, if you plan to rent out the new abode, get pro advice about
all the legal aspects of it. Little things like not giving the tenant
the lead letter & booklet can result in a $10K fine.

I have thought it through, and am seriously looking into hiring a property management company to deal with the tenants, as I have less than zero interest in that side of home ownership. One of my good friends uses a property management company to rent out his condo, and he highly recommends them. According to him, all he does is collect checks...now that I can handle. lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have thought it through, and am seriously looking into hiring a property management company to deal with the tenants, as I have less than zero interest in that side of home ownership. One of my good friends uses a property management company to rent out his condo, and he highly recommends them. According to him, all he does is collect checks...now that I can handle. lol
Once you get used to the gravy train, are you sure you'll want to move in?
Or that spare bedroom could be for a roommate or airbnb, eh.

TurkeyOnRye

I'm just so thrilled that things are looking so good now. You certainly have earned it!

Ymir, you wouldn't believe what has happened in the last few years. Last year, I graduated from a medical laboratory technology program and a mere three months after graduation, I was hired on at Oregon Health and Science University, which is the largest health and clinical research center in the state. And because I've been so used to living life on a budget, I was able to save the 3% down payment and then some in just a year. Talk about a lifestyle shock...

TurkeyOnRye

Once you get used to the gravy train, are you sure you'll want to move in?
Or that spare bedroom could be for a roommate or airbnb, eh.

Frankly, apartment living has so many drawbacks, I think it'll be relatively easy, but that is something to consider. I'd just like to take a good chunk out of the mortgage first. In addition, once I move over to day shift, I will HAVE to move in, because I will be forced to take public transit to work, and commuting via public transit from my current location is absolutely horrendous.

TurkeyOnRye

[UPDATE]

Things are moving forward. I am excited but it's still a stressful process. :oops: A lot of moving parts, and a lot of money on the table. The seller is currently seeking bids for lender-required repairs and the home inspection will be done next Friday unless the repairs are not finished (in which case I will push the inspection back). After closing, I will need to get the renovation done as soon as possible, because I will be making simultaneous payments on the apartment and the condo without any additional income flow, meaning money will be kind of tight until I get renters in. The renovations I'm planning would probably take a skilled contractor a week or two max, but considering this is all very new to me, I'm planning on a generous 60 days to get everything done.

As we head into winter, the market has softened a bit and the interest rate on my financing dropped since the lender first provided my quote in October. :cool: My impression is that anything under 5% is pretty good for this market (and great by historical standards), so I am satisfied with the way things are shaping up. :) Once I sign this mountain of paperwork my lender has sent me (44 documents in total!!), we will be locked-in and well on the way to a sale. :D

Curious George

Veteran Member
[UPDATE]

Things are moving forward. I am excited but it's still a stressful process. :oops: A lot of moving parts, and a lot of money on the table. The seller is currently seeking bids for lender-required repairs and the home inspection will be done next Friday unless the repairs are not finished (in which case I will push the inspection back). After closing, I will need to get the renovation done as soon as possible, because I will be making simultaneous payments on the apartment and the condo without any additional income flow, meaning money will be kind of tight until I get renters in. The renovations I'm planning would probably take a skilled contractor a week or two max, but considering this is all very new to me, I'm planning on a generous 60 days to get everything done.

As we head into winter, the market has softened a bit and the interest rate on my financing dropped since the lender first provided my quote in October. :cool: My impression is that anything under 5% is pretty good for this market (and great by historical standards), so I am satisfied with the way things are shaping up. :) Once I sign this mountain of paperwork my lender has sent me (44 documents in total!!), we will be locked-in and well on the way to a sale. :D
I fear you are progressing towards being another irresponsible landlord. I hope i am wrong.