• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Home Purchase - CLOSED!!! KEY IN HAND!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ain't that the truth!
I once had some SJW lawyer accuse us landlords of fixing our own
places before tenants'. I set the nasty little fellow straight.....my
family & I can go without heat & water by coping with it....but tenants
get priority cuz we can't have the cash flow interrupted. They get
priority service.
I am glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks this way.... :)

But for me it is not only because of the cash flow, it is because I feel it is my responsibility to take care of things at the rentals as soon as I can.whereas my house can wait. Our kitchen sink has been inoperable for over two years so my husband does the dishes in the bathroom... :rolleyes: It would not be a big deal to get the drain unclogged but I cannot take any more stress right now, and that has been the situation for over two years.

A tenant who vacated one of our houses last November has an attorney and he is claiming all kinds of things that are lies and he is asking for damages. I reported it to my insurance company and they are handling it but I do not know how it will turn out. This tenant is a liar and a schemer. I have had bad tenants but I never had one as bad as him. He was shrewd enough to always pay the rent on time and he thought that would mean he could do whatever he wanted at the house and then act like a claim victim later... Not on my watch guy, not on my watch.

Our other rental house needs a furnace because it died back in November, but I cannot replace it until I find out why there has been a problem with the electric bill being so high. I sent the power company over there to do an inspection and the tenant was supposed to be there but he was not there so I had to reschedule. If he wants a new furnace he needs to cooperate.

Meanwhile there is a wood stove in that house that will heat the house. The tenant said he never used it in the five years he has been there but I found out from an attorney that by law it is considered sufficient for heat. I still have to replace the furnace and heat pump but I am not going to do it until I get the energy assessment. That tenant is behind on his rent and he also owes me for a water bill I paid for him, so he cannot complain that I am obligated to do repairs. He has never been a complainer anyway. He can hardly complain because about a year ago, he owed me $11,000 in back rent but he has paid all of it but $2278 so I know he will pay the rest eventually.

When we used to have only one house, I thought that all the cats we had were my biggest stress, but now we only have 10 cats and three houses.... If we did not have these two rental houses, 10 cats would be no stress, and my life would be a picnic. As it is, my life is a train wreck most of the time because of the houses. Sometimes I wish I could live in a small cabin in the woods or a plush retirement home, but not with 10 cats.... Then of course we also have the raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and birds we feel responsible for, so I guess we are here for the duration. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks this way.... :)

But for me it is not only because of the cash flow, it is because I feel it is my responsibility to take care of things at the rentals as soon as I can.whereas my house can wait. Our kitchen sink has been inoperable for over two years so my husband does the dishes in the bathroom... :rolleyes: It would not be a big deal to get the drain unclogged but I cannot take any more stress right now, and that has been the situation for over two years.

A tenant who vacated one of our houses last November has an attorney and he is claiming all kinds of things that are lies and he is asking for damages. I reported it to my insurance company and they are handling it but I do not know how it will turn out. This tenant is a liar and a schemer. I have had bad tenants but I never had one as bad as him. He was shrewd enough to always pay the rent on time and he thought that would mean he could do whatever he wanted at the house and then act like a claim victim later... Not on my watch guy, not on my watch.

Our other rental house needs a furnace because it died back in November, but I cannot replace it until I find out why there has been a problem with the electric bill being so high. I sent the power company over there to do an inspection and the tenant was supposed to be there but he was not there so I had to reschedule. If he wants a new furnace he needs to cooperate.

Meanwhile there is a wood stove in that house that will heat the house. The tenant said he never used it in the five years he has been there but I found out from an attorney that by law it is considered sufficient for heat. I still have to replace the furnace and heat pump but I am not going to do it until I get the energy assessment. That tenant is behind on his rent and he also owes me for a water bill I paid for him, so he cannot complain that I am obligated to do repairs. He has never been a complainer anyway. He can hardly complain because about a year ago, he owed me $11,000 in back rent but he has paid all of it but $2278 so I know he will pay the rest eventually.

When we used to have only one house, I thought that all the cats we had were my biggest stress, but now we only have 10 cats and three houses.... If we did not have these two rental houses, 10 cats would be no stress, and my life would be a picnic. As it is, my life is a train wreck most of the time because of the houses. Sometimes I wish I could live in a small cabin in the woods or a plush retirement home, but not with 10 cats.... Then of course we also have the raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and birds we feel responsible for, so I guess we are here for the duration. :rolleyes:
Don't stop maintenance just because they're behind in rent.
(I know that it's harder to pay for it when this happens.)
I'd never allow a tenant to have a working wood stove or fireplace.
They're just too irresponsible.
Consider a clause in your lease which allows you to enter with
prior notice even if the tenant is away. It'll make life easier.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Don't stop maintenance just because they're behind in rent.
(I know that it's harder to pay for it when this happens.)
No, I am not doing that. I am just waiting to find out about the electrical problem before I can decide on a furnace.
I'd never allow a tenant to have a working wood stove or fireplace.
They're just too irresponsible.
That is the main source of heat in one of my rentals but there has never been a problem.
Consider a clause in your lease which allows you to enter with
prior notice even if the tenant is away. It'll make life easier.
By law nobody can enter in this state without permission from the tenant so a clause would not help. On the other hand, if the tenant does not allow entry they cannot complain that repairs were not made. That house is two hours away from here so I am not going over there just to let the power company inspector in. I will just have to make sure the tenant is thee the next time he comes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On the other hand, if the tenant does not allow entry they cannot complain that repairs were not made. .
Here they may deny entry and seek action for repairs not made.
Not allowing repairs weakens their case though. It all depends
upon the judge....or jury, if they want that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Here they may deny entry and seek action for repairs not made.
Not allowing repairs weakens their case though. It all depends
upon the judge....or jury, if they want that.
They can demand them here too but if you keep track of when they denied them by posting the 48 hour notices to enter on the door or keeping the e-mails of the tenant denying entry then the tenant does not have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They can demand them here too but if you keep track of when they denied them by posting the 48 hour notices to enter on the door or keeping the e-mails of the tenant denying entry then the tenant does not have a leg to stand on. :rolleyes:
But in court, anything can happen.
Another trick is to keep the matter in court month after month.
This applies financial pressure to the landlord with both lost
rent & legal costs. One must be careful.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But in court, anything can happen.
Another trick is to keep the matter in court month after month.
This applies financial pressure to the landlord with both lost
rent & legal costs. One must be careful.
I plan to avoid court unless absolutely necessary.
I will have to go to small claims court if the tenants who vacated about a years ago refuse to sign a stipulation agreement agreeing to pay on their debt.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I plan to avoid court unless absolutely necessary.
I will have to go to small claims court if the tenants who vacated about a years ago refuse to sign a stipulation agreement agreeing to pay on their debt.
Is a stipulation necessary?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Is a stipulation necessary?
The attorney recommended a stipulation agreement the tenants would have to sign agreeing to pay a certain amount till the $6750 rent debt is paid off. That way if they default on the agreement I get an automatic judgment without having to go to court. That gives them a chance to settle out of court and not have me going to small claims court, which is my only option since the other courts won't settle this kind of dispute over money owing.

Apparently these tenants think I am making empty threats but they will soon find out they are not empty. I am just too busy right now to go to court because of other issues going on at the rentals, but as soon as those are squared away I will deal with this matter. I am giving them a chance to sign the agreement in order to avoid going to court which will result in their having a judgement against them, and it will affect their credit and ability to get another rental or ever buy a house.

I am spitting mad at them. :mad: They promised to pay me in December 2018 when they moved out and then they just ignored all my e-mails after that. There is no way they will get away with this. I let them go on their rent and they know it but they just think I am going to forget it... Not on my watch. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The attorney recommended a stipulation agreement the tenants would have to sign agreeing to pay a certain amount till the $6750 rent debt is paid off. That way if they default on the agreement I get an automatic judgment without having to go to court. That gives them a chance to settle out of court and not have me going to small claims court, which is my only option since the other courts won't settle this kind of dispute over money owing.

Apparently these tenants think I am making empty threats but they will soon find out they are not empty. I am just too busy right now to go to court because of other issues going on at the rentals, but as soon as those are squared away I will deal with this matter. I am giving them a chance to sign the agreement in order to avoid going to court which will result in their having a judgement against them, and it will affect their credit and ability to get another rental or ever buy a house.

I am spitting mad at them. :mad: They promised to pay me in December 2018 when they moved out and then they just ignored all my e-mails after that. There is no way they will get away with this. I let them go on their rent and they know it but they just think I am going to forget it... Not on my watch. :rolleyes:
I sympathize.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I sympathize.
Thanks, but this is the least of it.

I have another tenant who moved in after these people who has an attorney and is falsely accusing me of all kinds of things and he is making demands for a settlement through his attorney. Thankfully my insurance took over this case but it is still very disconcerting. :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks, but this is the least of it.

I have another tenant who moved in after these people who has an attorney and is falsely accusing me of all kinds of things and he is making demands for a settlement through his attorney. Thankfully my insurance took over this case but it is still very disconcerting. :(
Attorneys....extortion is their primary tool.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Attorneys....extortion is their primary tool.
I have not had a lot of dealings with attorneys except through Legal Shield since I am a member.

So do you think all attorneys operate this way? It is hard for me to believe they would still represent a client when I have evidence to prove he is lying.

Having the insurance company involved takes it out of the my attorney against your attorney game. Big insurance companies have resources I cannot afford and they do not fool around. I hope this tenant's attorney knows that. Any attorney can write letters making outrageous demands but the tenant either has evidence to back his accusations or not.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have not had a lot of dealings with attorneys except through Legal Shield since I am a member.

So do you think all attorneys operate this way? It is hard for me to believe they would still represent a client when I have evidence to prove he is lying.

Having the insurance company involved takes it out of the my attorney against your attorney game. Big insurance companies have resources I cannot afford and they do not fool around. I hope this tenant's attorney knows that. Any attorney can write letters making outrageous demands but the tenant either has evidence to back his accusations or not.
Not all attorneys use the tool to extort money.
But so many do, & the courts are a willing accomplice.
Tread carefully.