• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Home Purchase - CLOSED!!! KEY IN HAND!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was joking with him, but I was also right.
Most of what he'll pay to live in the house he
owns will be interest, property taxes, etc, etc.
These things are just expenses...like rent.
You are right about that... Sometimes renting is a better option than purchasing.

Given all I have suffered through as the result of tenants, I now wish I had no rental homes at all. In fact, I would prefer to rent than own my own house if I did not think about the investment angle as being security in older age. But it is moot anyway because I cannot rent given all the cats we have!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are right about that... Sometimes renting is a better option than purchasing.

Given all I have suffered through as the result of tenants, I now wish I had no rental homes at all. In fact, I would prefer to rent than own my own house if I did not think about the investment angle as being security in older age. But it is moot anyway because I cannot rent given all the cats we have!
Aye, owning makes the most sense when one
is doing something incompatible with renting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And since we will always have a double digit number of cats I guess we are in for the duration. :D
main_900.jpg

TurkeyOnRye

Congrats, when's the house warming party?

I am told moving house is one of the most stressful periods od a person's life. Now its tome to relax and absorb that wonderful feeling of owning your new home.

The house-warming party is TBD! I'm going to get settled in first. I expect sometime next month, maybe earlier.

The home-buying process has to be the epitome of mixed emotions. So much stress associated with getting closing in order and moving...yet, at the same time there is a great feeling of joy and satisfaction.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Me too! They are laminate, but I love the "grain." There is no carpet in this place, which I happen to prefer.

Yes. We don't have any carpets in our home, but have wood flooring and we chuck the odd rug down wherever suits Mrs Badger.

Every summer I will clear out one room, sand the floor down and re-varnish it with diamond-hard varnish. You might not need to do that because your floors look as if they have been resin sealed....... very very tough and hard.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Me too! They are laminate, but I love the "grain." There is no carpet in this place, which I happen to prefer.
Our vacation house on the ocean had all old shag carpet dating back to the 1970s. About six years ago we had it all torn out and replaced it with laminate. I wish we could do that with the house we live in that has mostly carpet, but that is too big of a project to even think about right now. We just learned to live with the carpet and all the messes the cats make on it.

Our vacation house was built in 1975 so it has an "Elvis Room" with felt and silk walls and mirrors. None of the potential buyers liked that 70s style which was to our advantage because there was less competition to purchase. Still, it took six months to purchase it because our first deal fell through and another buyer had a deal, but his deal fell through and we were waiting to snap it up. This happened in 2010 when the economy had tanked and there were lots of foreclosures. But we were still lucky to get it for what we paid, which was one third of its present market value.

Sadly, we never used it for a vacation house since we have had too many things going on in our life to even think about vacations. So we rented it month to month and have had the same tenant for the last five years. The previous tenants has wanted to change the Elvis Room but he loves it.

It was a vacation house before we bought it and we might make it a vacation house again someday, since we could get more income and we could use it for ourselves whenever we wanted to, since it is only about a two hour drive. When we had 23 cats we used to go on vacations and we had a pet sitter come in twice a day. We could potentially do that again, and it would be easier now that we only have 10 cats, but right now we cannot go on any vacations because we have too many things going on in our life. :(

TurkeyOnRye

Our vacation house on the ocean had all old shag carpet dating back to the 1970s. About six years ago we had it all torn out and replaced it with laminate. I wish we could do that with the house we live in that has mostly carpet, but that is too big of a project to even think about right now. We just learned to live with the carpet and all the messes the cats make on it.

Our vacation house was built in 1975 so it has an "Elvis Room" with felt and silk walls and mirrors. None of the potential buyers liked that 70s style which was to our advantage because there was less competition to purchase. Still, it took six months to purchase it because our first deal fell through and another buyer had a deal, but his deal fell through and we were waiting to snap it up. This happened in 2010 when the economy had tanked and there were lots of foreclosures. But we were still lucky to get it for what we paid, which was one third of its present market value.

Sadly, we never used it for a vacation house since we have had too many things going on in our life to even think about vacations. So we rented it month to month and have had the same tenant for the last five years. The previous tenants has wanted to change the Elvis Room but he loves it.

It was a vacation house before we bought it and we might make it a vacation house again someday, since we could get more income and we could use it for ourselves whenever we wanted to, since it is only about a two hour drive. When we had 23 cats we used to go on vacations and we had a pet sitter come in twice a day. We could potentially do that again, and it would be easier now that we only have 10 cats, but right now we cannot go on any vacations because we have too many things going on in our life. :(

My sympathies. I do hope you guys get a chance to use your vacation home! Thankfully my purchase did not take six months, but it was certainly not without its frustration! On closing day, I had to visit three different banks before I could find one that could perform the wire transfer I needed to fund the whole deal (long story). By the time I arrived to the last bank, they were 20 minutes away from their wire cut-off for the day, and there were two people ahead of me! Nevertheless, they assured me they'd get it done, and they did! So we closed and funded on time, and I started moving-in the same day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

23 cats?
That's a prime example of too many kitties.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
23 cats?
That's a prime example of too many kitties.
It was too many kitties for that 1500 sq ft house, so we moved in 2009. By that time, we only had 19 cats and the house we bought and now live in is 2700 sq ft. Since then many passed on and so we only have 10 cats now and we only use half of the house, we never even go into the downstairs except to do laundry. We would be down to 7 cats but we adopted 3 cats because I do not like going below 10. I love cats, the more the merrier, but 23 was too many, especially since we both worked full time then and they were all indoors! Now my husband is retired and he is home all the time, so he has cat duty. ;)

It would not work if my husband did not love the cats as much as I do, but that is one thing we can always agree on. We have the same religion but we do not always agree on that.... :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was too many kitties for that 1500 sq ft house, so we moved in 2009. By that time, we only had 19 cats and the house we bought and now live in is 2700 sq ft. Since then many passed on and so we only have 10 cats now and we only use half of the house, we never even go into the downstairs except to do laundry. We would be down to 7 cats but we adopted 3 cats because I do not like going below 10. I love cats, the more the merrier, but 23 was too many, especially since we both worked full time then and they were all indoors! Now my husband is retired and he is home all the time, so he has cat duty. ;)

It would not work if my husband did not love the cats as much as I do, but that is one thing we can always agree on. We have the same religion but we do not always agree on that.... :rolleyes:
White Kitty (our feral cat) disappeared for a few days.
Was she injured? (She was limping a little.)
Was she dead?
Did she find a better part-time home?
But she came back again.
Oddly, she hasn't slept in her house since her return.
She's our 3rd cat.
The other 2 are indoor cats.
Zoe & Lucy (Lucifer Stinknagel)

There....a full cat accounting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
White Kitty (our feral cat) disappeared for a few days.
Was she injured? (She was limping a little.)
Was she dead?
Did she find a better part-time home?
But she came back again.
Oddly, she hasn't slept in her house since her return.
She's our 3rd cat.
The other 2 are indoor cats.
Zoe & Lucy (Lucifer Stinknagel)

There....a full cat accounting.
We had only three cats when we got married in 1985. They were all Persians and then later we decided to breed them on a small scale, one or two litters a year. We sold many of the kittens but we kept a lot of them, and that is why we had 23 cats. All but seven of those cats are now gone. :( That makes me really appreciate the ones we still have, I treasure them.

I am glad your White Kitty came back. :)
We also have a feral cat we feed and water, so technically speaking we have 11 cats. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We had only three cats when we got married in 1985. They were all Persians and then later we decided to breed them on a small scale, one or two litters a year. We sold many of the kittens but we kept a lot of them, and that is why we had 23 cats. All but seven of those cats are now gone. :( That makes me really appreciate the ones we still have, I treasure them.

I am glad your White Kitty came back. :)
We also have a feral cat we feed and water, so technically speaking we have 11 cats. :D
We also have White Skunk, Black Skunk, Orange Kitty,
Black Kitty, Big Racoon, Little Racoon #1, & Little Racoon #2.
But they only visit occasionally, & I don't feed them (unless
they steal from White Kitty.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We also have White Skunk, Black Skunk, Orange Kitty,
Black Kitty, Big Racoon, Little Racoon #1, & Little Racoon #2.
But they only visit occasionally, & I don't feed them (unless
they steal from White Kitty.
We also have a countless number of raccoons and squirrels and chipmunks and birds that engender many trips to the grocery store for bird food and dog food. :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We also have a countless number of raccoons and squirrels and chipmunks and birds that engender many trips to the grocery store for bird food and dog food. :rolleyes:
Aye, we have those too.
And once every other blue moon, Mr Fox makes an appearance.
But I really hate all the deerzie weerzies.
They chew up my hostas & young trees.
And they're tick taxis.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Aye, we have those too.
And once every other blue moon, Mr Fox makes an appearance.
But I really hate all the deerzie weerzies.
They chew up my hostas & young trees.
And they're tick taxis.
I used to see a red fox cross the road once in a while when we lived at our old house. We also had deer in our yard there but we do not have any here, probably because we have a fence all around the perimeter. We used to have possums too but we do not see them anymore... I miss them.

TurkeyOnRye

More photos for your viewing pleasure.

Ya5VwNN.jpg

czGhmfP.jpg

eY3nDCL.jpg

Cabinets will be refaced.

wnTfhvt.jpg

6tWVUF2.jpg

Overhead kitchen light will be replaced with 50" LED track light.

qbdf5it.jpg

I call these "smokers' light switches". They will soon be replaced with Legrand screwless plates and decorator switches.

o3mUvan.jpg

Will probably replace the banister with something more classical at a later date.

YmLsGCK.jpg

I plan to replace the interior doors with so-called "Rockport" doors.

WFbW2tr.jpg

Swatch what happens next...

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
More photos for you viewing pleasure.

Ya5VwNN.jpg

czGhmfP.jpg

eY3nDCL.jpg

Cabinets will be refaced.

wnTfhvt.jpg

6tWVUF2.jpg

Overhead kitchen light will be replaced with 50" LED track light.

qbdf5it.jpg

I call these "smokers' light switches". They will soon be replaced with Legrand screwless plates and decorator switches.

o3mUvan.jpg

Will probably replace the banister with something more classical at a later date.

YmLsGCK.jpg

I plan to replace the interior doors with so-called "Rockport" doors.

WFbW2tr.jpg

Swatch what happens next...
Thanks... That is really bright and cheerful... Our house was built in 1986 and the kitchens and bathrooms have not been updated.... nor has most of the carpet been replaced since then. The downstairs family room has newer nicer carpet but we never use that room at all.. In that room we have a 65 inch TV with surround sound and we have never used it in all the 10 years we have lived here. We normally watch the Plasma 50 inch in the living room or the Led 46 inch in the bedroom.... and yes, we have two tube TVs, 19 and 26 inch in bedrooms downstairs that we never use anymore.... Now that we have less cats and they are all upstairs, there is no reason to use the downstairs anymore.

If we did not have the rentals maybe we could have done something with our own house, but those need more work than ours because they are older.... Besides, tenants get priority over us!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If we did not have the rentals maybe we could have done something with our own house, but those need more work than ours because they are older.... Besides, tenants get priority over us!
Ain't that the truth!
I once had some SJW lawyer accuse us landlords of fixing our own
places before tenants'. I set the nasty little fellow straight.....my
family & I can go without heat & water by coping with it....but tenants
get priority cuz we can't have the cash flow interrupted. They get
priority service.