• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Female Saudi Lawyer! :)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Meet Arwa Al-Hujaili: Saudi Arabia's first female lawyer - CNN.com

Congrats to Arwa Al-Hujaili for her perseverence! Many of the female law students gave up hope and left the country to practice elsewhere since law schools started accepting them in 2005 -- but then the state would deny them permits upon graduation.

Arwa stayed with it and tried to enact change from within, and it seems it's finally paid off!

Unfortunately there are still a few hurdles she might face -- for instance, she can't legally drive and must depend on a male guardian to get her to her cases. It's mentioned in the article that particularly conservative judges may not allow her counsel or even allow her to speak in court (though no evidence is given for these fears).

Regardless, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ARWA!

Keep up the good fight! :clap:clap:clap:clap

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We know a country has terrible problems when we cheer another lawyer entering practice.

But congrats, lawyer gal!
May you tear down that wall!
.....and drive a car some day!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Every little step is important, even that step doesn't lead to the ideal.

But, well, I remember the story of the tortoise and the hare.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The US admin will surly depict this as a huge stride toward democracy and human rights in it's 'Allay'!

I don't get the PR usage of "spreading democracy," since democracy, without proper protections for minorities, is just mob rule -- and can be as despotic and tyrannical as totalitarianism (perhaps even sometimes more so). Democracy isn't what needs to be spread, it's -- indeed -- respect for human rights!

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
This is good. I also read not long ago that KSA is now allowing sports in girls schools. I am glad to see such as the over repressiveness is insane.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't get the PR usage of "spreading democracy," since democracy, without proper protections for minorities, is just mob rule -- and can be as despotic and tyrannical as totalitarianism (perhaps even sometimes more so). Democracy isn't what needs to be spread, it's -- indeed -- respect for human rights!
You'll never get elected prez with that attitude. If I'm to support your candidacy, you must pander to "democracy".
(Human rights is a more secondary goal, & ineffective as a hot button issue.) Then once you're elected, you may
implement an agenda more sophisticated than the one you sell to the voting public.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Yup.

I believe it was Churchill who said that democracy alone is just a mob state where the 51 percent can take away the rights of the 49 percent.

It's terrible... though it's better than the state wherein the 0.01 percent can take away the rights of the 99.9 percent.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Meet Arwa Al-Hujaili: Saudi Arabia's first female lawyer - CNN.com

Congrats to Arwa Al-Hujaili for her perseverence! Many of the female law students gave up hope and left the country to practice elsewhere since law schools started accepting them in 2005 -- but then the state would deny them permits upon graduation.

Arwa stayed with it and tried to enact change from within, and it seems it's finally paid off!

Unfortunately there are still a few hurdles she might face -- for instance, she can't legally drive and must depend on a male guardian to get her to her cases. It's mentioned in the article that particularly conservative judges may not allow her counsel or even allow her to speak in court (though no evidence is given for these fears).

Regardless, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ARWA!

Keep up the good fight! :clap:clap:clap:clap

An intelligent enthusiastic woman trying to overcome the glass ceiling while dealing with uptight coworkers in an ultra religious society? I smell a sitcom! It's like an Arabian Ally McBeal.

apophenia

This is the biggest single step forward for women's rights in many decades. It is certainly the biggest step forward for Saudi culture ever.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The first lawyer who will be held in contempt of the court for merely being a woman. There is always a catch to things. I just hope the ban on women driving will be soon lifted.

F0uad

The law that women cant drive will maybe change in the near future, Saudi is changing but very very slowly.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The law that women cant drive will maybe change in the near future, Saudi is changing but very very slowly.

I heard it is suppose to happen this year, correct? Hopefully it will go well because this whole issue with driving is not even Islamic.
Although it does disable women from cheating on second thought.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Isn't it?

As long as the Saudi People (who used to have a name before being 'owned' by the Saudi Family) is ruled by this corrupt absolute monarchy, which was established by the help of the Colonial Britain, and is maintained by the the help of the US admin, they will continue to be living out of the history.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I heard it is suppose to happen this year, correct? Hopefully it will go well because this whole issue with driving is not even Islamic.
Although it does disable women from cheating on second thought.

I hope that second line is a joke. Why are the women the ones who have to suffer -- wouldn't keeping men from driving disable THEM from cheating? Do you presume it's only women who have the desire to cheat?

In Backwards Arabia (a made up, inverse Saudi Arabia) where men are banished from driving, would you say,

"...this whole issue with driving is not even Islamic (negative comment), although it does disable men from cheating on second thought (paradoxically SUPPORTIVE comment)!"

Women aren't children. If they are going to make mistakes, then just like the big boys, they must face the consequences for their mistakes. Unlike children, who don't have the maturity and the cognitive development to properly weigh choices, you can't try to prevent people making mistakes by imprisoning them in an iron grip. Women are adults. They deserve the same responsibility.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
As long as the Saudi People (who used to have a name before being 'owned' by the Saudi Family) is ruled by this corrupt absolute monarchy, which was established by the help of the Colonial Britain, and is maintained by the the help of the US admin, they will continue to be living out of the history.

Ah yes, I see where you are coming from. I agree. :)