• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First drinking experience?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
potential trigger warning for people who know alcoholics????

Okay we all mostly frown on the young whippersnappers drinking alcohol to varying degrees. (My father used Brandy as a cold/flu remedy!)
But like it or not, in many Western societies getting drunk is something of a rite of passage. Sometimes later than others. In Australiastan you have to be 18 across the board. And come on, who waits until the legal precedent to sip your first sip of wine?
So what were your right of passages? The first time you experienced the highs and lows of alcohol?
There was an old archaic law where I live, a sort of hangover from Europeans. It’s since closed. We used to be able to have a “quick nip” if we were with parents/legal guardians and having a public meal. So every week or so, my parents and their friends would try to have a meal together at the local pub/club. So I used to freely drink beer or wine as a kid at the table without anyone really bothering me. Can’t do that anymore and bear in mind I’m a Mellinial, not some baby boomer. This was in effect until the mid 2000s! Weirdly Sydney, for all its open “liberalism” was far stricter on such measures than my own far more conservative State. So that was interesting to look back on.

But what are your experiences? Did you have to work the next day even? I remember that from my old clubbing days. Awful shifts lol!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Okay we all mostly frown on the young whippersnappers drinking alcohol to varying degrees. (My father used Brandy as a cold/flu remedy!)
But like it or not, in many Western societies getting drunk is something of a rite of passage. Sometimes later than others. In Australiastan you have to be 18 across the board. And come on, who waits until the legal precedent to sip your first sip of wine?
So what were your right of passages? The first time you experienced the highs and lows of alcohol?
There was an old archaic law where I live, a sort of hangover from Europeans. It’s since closed. We used to be able to have a “quick nip” if we were with parents/legal guardians and having a public meal. So every week or so, my parents and their friends would try to have a meal together at the local pub/club. So I used to freely drink beer or wine as a kid at the table without anyone really bothering me. Can’t do that anymore and bear in mind I’m a Mellinial, not some baby boomer. This was in effect until the mid 2000s! Weirdly Sydney, for all its open “liberalism” was far stricter on such measures than my own far more conservative State. So that was interesting to look back on.

But what are your experiences? Did you have to work the next day even? I remember that from my old clubbing days. Awful shifts lol!
The first time I got drunk I was 17, where the drinking age was 18

I got drunk at a friend's house

It was on White Lightening, a scummy dirt-cheap "cider" which tastes like puke

I don't think they sell it anymore

Only teenagers and people with a drinking problem drunk the stuff

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have never drank much, even during student days. But...

There is always a but... as a student i was invited to a Hogmanay party where the drink was provided by a couple of Irish students. Apparently they had spent months making it.

I woke up the following day with a raging hangover and no virginity. I was 80 miles from my car and it was a public holiday so no way to get back to it. I needed a drink of water badly which made be drunk again, in fact any water (the only nourishment i could take) i had for the next 3 days had me reeling.

A word of advice, don't drink home made poitin (poteen) if you are a non drinker.

I swore, never again. A promise i have kept. I will drink the occasional wine or spirit at celebration's, but my now, liberal use of alcohol is reserved for cooking.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I had my first wine when I was three.. a Burgundy with lemon aid, at my Grandfathers Christmas lunch.
Thereafter I had alcohol quite often at meal times.
The first time I actually got tipsy drunk was when I joined the Army at 17 1/2. It did not stop me drinking but did put me off drinking to excess.
Thereafter I rarely drunk enough to get me tipsy. but not altogether, as I can remember a few times as a student and later at wilder parties.
But never at all past the age of 30. Drink has never been a problem for me.
Today I rarely drink at all.
I think it helped having had some alcohol throughout my young life as a normal part of meals and parties.

Nimos

I think we (Me and my friends) started around 12 or 13, just finding it exciting to do. Then it really skyrocketed from 15 to 19, where we would drink maybe 2 and sometimes 3 times a week, making the friday rather rough. :) But the bars used to and probably still does, make half price thursdays so it was a good time to drink, as it was cheap and lots of young people there, and obviously friday and saturday as well. I think most of our weekends went with drinking, watching movies and eating pizzas.

After that, the next many years it, slowly went downhill, some began to smoke a lot of hash as well, never really found that interesting myself. And now, I only drink maybe once or twice every 3-4 month or so, not counting potential parties, but just when hanging out with friends, but never to the point of getting drunk.

But we could find some really cheap ways to drink, buying a couple of bottles of Martini, lambrusco or cheap wine, which only costed like 4 or 5 dollars for a bottle, then we turned to vodka, tequila and I don't know what, pretty much drank whatever :). But finally as we got a bit older, we settled on beers and there were some very cheap ones, that costed like 25 or 30 cent per bottle, so a good 15 to 20 beers per night were pretty cheap and then we could go to town and party not having to buy to many there.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've tried alcoholic drinks before, but the first time I had enough to be drunk was during a small gathering at my first apartment to celebrate moving out on my own. It was misc sodas mixed with some cheap-*** vodka. It wasn't anything wild, just played cards and PS2. Hangover was mild and manageable the next day, and didn't have to work fortunately.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I think we (Me and my friends) started around 12 or 13, just finding it exciting to do. Then it really skyrocketed from 15 to 19, where we would drink maybe 2 and sometimes 3 times a week, making the friday rather rough. :) But the bars used to and probably still does, make half price thursdays so it was a good time to drink, as it was cheap and lots of young people there, and obviously friday and saturday as well. I think most of our weekends went with drinking, watching movies and eating pizzas.

After that, the next many years it, slowly went downhill, some began to smoke a lot of hash as well, never really found that interesting myself. And now, I only drink maybe once or twice every 3-4 month or so, not counting potential parties, but just when hanging out with friends, but never to the point of getting drunk.

But we could find some really cheap ways to drink, buying a couple of bottles of Martini, lambrusco or cheap wine, which only costed like 4 or 5 dollars for a bottle, then we turned to vodka, tequila and I don't know what, pretty much drank whatever :). But finally as we got a bit older, we settled on beers and there were some very cheap ones, that costed like 25 or 30 cent per bottle, so a good 15 to 20 beers per night were pretty cheap and then we could go to town and party not having to buy to many there.
Oh the “cheap days” yeah, I remember. Going out with friends on a Friday night, getting sloshed in the cheap vodka and redbulls all night. Waking up on the floor the next morning. Then doing a full 9-10 hour shift that day. With people laughing at you.
“Oh typical teenager.” “Hope you have lunch break soon.”
Ahh memories

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The first time I got drunk I was 17, where the drinking age was 18

I got drunk at a friend's house

It was on White Lightening, a scummy dirt-cheap "cider" which tastes like puke

I don't think they sell it anymore

Only teenagers and people with a drinking problem drunk the stuff

main-qimg-321aa5b50c37689c16cca5e746fdfc91.jpg

Hope this isn't you..

79676b5a91ccd0a00889658286ba4653_320x320.jpg

Daemon Sophic

I would have a sip from my parents glasses occasionally as a kid.
At my 21st birthday in college my friends took me to a bar (free beer for birthday celebrants). Ordered a large jug, took my celebratory sip, and gave the jug to my friends. Ordered a diet Coke.

The first time I actually drank a single bottle of beer by myself, I was 28 and out on a date with the young lady that is my current wife. I felt too tipsy, so I let her drive us home.
In the 23 years since then, I’ve gotten roughly that ‘far gone’ on perhaps 3 occasions. :shrug: I feel that I’m not missing anything. :)

Nimos

Oh the “cheap days” yeah, I remember. Going out with friends on a Friday night, getting sloshed in the cheap vodka and redbulls all night. Waking up on the floor the next morning. Then doing a full 9-10 hour shift that day. With people laughing at you.
“Oh typical teenager.” “Hope you have lunch break soon.”
Ahh memories
Exactly how I remember it as well. What impressed me the most was that it was not really that hard to drink several days in a row. i couldn't and wouldn't want to do it now. But back then, when you had the energy, it was pretty ok, the moment you had drank the first beer, the hangover went away and it was a whole new party :)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly how I remember it as well. What impressed me the most was that it was not really that hard to drink several days in a row. i couldn't and wouldn't want to do it now. But back then, when you had the energy, it was pretty ok, the moment you had drank the first beer, the hangover went away and it was a whole new party :)
Omg yes!!! Sure you felt like crap in the immediate. But I had lunch at Maccas (downstairs from my work at the time) and was good to go. If I had time for a good greasy hangover breakfast, I would have healed sooner. I look back and think, damn, we were tough as rocks as kids. We’d have 2 hours sleep and work all day; then get sloshed with our friends in the evening. Have another couple hours sleep, work all day then have to get all our schoolwork done. How we didn’t die of alcohol poisoning as kids, man, that’s a mystery LOL!!!

exchemist

Veteran Member

From when my brothers and I were about 13, my grandfather used to offer us a small glass of cider or beer with Sunday lunch when we visited, which we did once a fortnight. As I recall, it made my cheeks glow a bit and made me ever so slightly dizzy. When I was rowing with the school Ist VIII, if we won an event we would use the pint tankards given out as prizes to drink beer with dinner, usually in a steak restaurant. But that was all fine.

My first hangover was after the traditional celebratory dinner at school for all who had got their university places. Apart from wine with dinner, there was a fruit punch circulating beforehand which, as is so often the case, was a lot stronger than it seemed. I described feeling nauseous and headachy to my parents the following day and they laughed and told me what it was.

Thereafter I was pretty good at avoiding hangovers throughout my student days. To this day I can say I have never thrown up as a result of too much alcohol - though I did get close on a business trip to Russia in the 90s (those Russians and vodka :rolleyes: - phew!).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

When i was younger (20 year old at that time) i went to a folk highschool (almost as a free study year) and i had never been drunk before, so since everyone around me was at the pub on weekends, i desided that Ok i will try to get drunk one time in my life, and that was at that moment. so i went down to the pub and spok with some of my friends about what i was going to do, so i asked them to take care of me if i lost my focus (oh man did i do that ....) So i ordered first a pint of beer. and took my time to drink it since i had never done it before. and ok making the story short. in the 3 hours i was there i managed to drink 6 pints of beer. and my head was spinning so badly that i in a very drunk way asked my friend to follow me home to the school :p Well it was about 1,5 miles to walk back. so i used all the walkway with my very drunk way of walking. and my friend was laughing all the way back to school. I only used 2,5 hours back to school :D And never puked once :p

I dont drink alcohol today

Stanyon

WWMRD?
When I was a child we were given shots of whiskey if we had bad sore throats and throat infections, burned on the way down but it seemed to help. I've told people about that now and some thought it was a terrible thing but if you read the ingredients of a lot of cough medicines alcohol is a common ingredient, some up to %25 or more-that is 50 proof.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I started right at adolescence. It was an unspoken but very well communicated rule that I could drink a bit when my parents hosted parties but never ever show being drunk.

Back in that day when 18 was the drinking age, getting served at 17 was a blast not so much to get drunk but to fool the server. Now I doubt the servers were fooled just letting us think so.

Drunk was when I entered graduate school on weekends.

But after a bit having a headache became troublesome so I cut back to moderate drinking.

Now my stomach talks to me if I drink more than a very little bit with meals so I don't. I don't need my digestive tract lecturing me on what I made it do.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
First real time drinking (other than sips and small amounts as a kid) was at a party. I didn't get drunk, and ended up baby sitting, going to the store late night/early morning for cleaning supplies, and helping clean up.