• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First compulsory healthcare. Now compulsory voting?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like instituting compulsary healthcare
Obama likes the idea to again force people by gunpoint.

Here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/

Article under a couple of years old, but I wouldn't put it past some people to petition to force the citizenry to vote or get fined or community service. Aka getting arrested for noncompliance.

Seems 22 countries already right now force people to vote.

I'm against the idea. This is supposed to be a free country dammit far as I'm concerned, but it seems already freedom is on its way out imo anyways.

But some others might think compulsory or forced voting is a good thing citing reasons like patriotism and duty to country, so I'm posing the question if you would support forced voting system in the U.S. like healthcare is, and why or why not?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Here:

Article under a couple of years old, but I wouldn't put it past some people to petition to force the citizenry to vote or get fined or community service. Aka getting arrested for noncompliance.

I'm against the idea. This is supposed to be a free country dammit far as I'm concerned, but it seems already freedom is on its way out imo anyways.

But some others might think compulsory or forced voting is a good thing citing reasons like patriotism and duty to country, so I'm posing the question if you would support forced voting system in the U.S. like healthcare is, and why or why not?
So if other countries do something, then we should too?
Let's make all women wear robes with eye holes then!
Geeze....the thinks something is a good idea, so not doing it should be criminalized.
If people don't want to vote, we're not better off getting their vote anyway.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Forced health care? Are you going around rounding up sick people and chucking them into hospitals?

We're "forced to vote." Well we wander into the booth so we don't get fined but they still can't force us to vote. Because it's also illegal to check our vote. So if one is so inclined one just puts nothing on the vote (or some words that RF won't allow on here) and then places it in the ballot. Also there's usually a sausage sizzle nearby so it's not like awful.

You Americans can do whatever the hell you want.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see a problem with forced voting. It's been said already that they can't actually make you vote but you do have to turn up for it.
As an Australian, I am legally obliged to attend to vote. I think it's a very good thing as it makes people more aware and politically concerned. You know, people actually get involved with the goings on of the country.

I think it makes sense for a democracy to have all the population involved in voting. That doesn't mean the USA needs this system but then the USA isn't a democracy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They don't really have to vote. Just cast a ballot.
The freedom argument is one used by the right wing in worry that the liberals will benefit from this.
The "freedom argument" is also used by libertarians who don't want any increased government control over us.
I have no idea which party would benefit.
I'd expect things to just blunder along as they always have.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Here:

The idea has been thrown around for decades, but frankly I would be opposed to it as it would only encourage even more low-information voting. OTOH, what I would like to see implemented is having national-election days off as a national holiday, plus a movement towards computer voting, which I understand they are now using in Utah.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Force people by gunpoint? Hyperbole much? You sound angry and paranoid.
Free country doesn't mean you can just run around and do whatever the heck you want. There are rules and laws that must be followed. Freedom is on it's way out? According to who, who teaches you that?
Sure, it's a good thing. True Patriots™ don't complain about serving our country in any means. Voting should be done by everyone....and corporations shouldn't be allowed to have unlimited confidential donations.

Healthcare isn't forced. Are you angry that you have to buy insurance for your car by law? How about wearing a seatbelt? RmoneyCare is a good thing, why are you against people with pre-existing conditions getting healthcare? Do you always side with the corporate agenda?

Profit over people.....

Twilight Hue

Force people by gunpoint? Hyperbole much? You sound angry and paranoid.

Nope it's fact. Try to resist if made compulsary and see who comes to your door if you refuse to comply. I trust you the person will certainly be armed and every intent to do you harm if you refuse any demands to comply.

Healthcare is the same thing. It's not even remotely like car insurance because you can opt out and not have a car. Poor comparism Try to refuse and make a stand. Same thing will happen.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Nope it's fact. Try to resist if made compulsary and see who comes to your door if you refuse to comply. I trust you the person will certainly be armed and every intent to do you harm if you refuse any demands to comply.

Healthcare is the same thing. It's not even remotely like car insurance because you can opt out and not have a car. Poor comparism Try to refuse and make a stand. Same thing will happen.
Ya but this is America, not some dictatorship. The reason the government stepped in to help with insurance costs is because the private insurance corporations have raised prices to a level that is ridiculous. It's profit minded. Greedy. Which is why they denied people with pre-existing conditions coverage.

Twilight Hue

The idea has been thrown around for decades, but frankly I would be opposed to it as it would only encourage even more low-information voting. OTOH, what I would like to see implemented is having national-election days off as a national holiday, plus a movement towards computer voting, which I understand they are now using in Utah.

That would be a much better move. Enticement and educational programs as opposed to strong- arming methodologies which sends all the wrong signals.

Twilight Hue

Ya but this is America, not some dictatorship. The reason the government stepped in to help with insurance costs is because the private insurance corporations have raised prices to a level that is ridiculous. It's profit minded. Greedy. Which is why they denied people with pre-existing conditions coverage.

The solution then is to force people to give insurance companies even MORE money than ever before.........

I would be real curious to see where the money trail goes, and all the various hands it really lands in, but its for those threads already on the subject.

Here it's only being used to compare to what seems to be a developing trend for ever increasing compulsory rules and regulations.

If anything and everything eventually becomes compulsary for the "greater good of the nation" or some other noble sounding designation, then it might as well be a dictatorship instituted by a small group of self privilged men and women who likely will exempt themselves outright.

Fines not paid are ultimately backed up with violence.

Yep. It sure is.

Twilight Hue

They don't really have to vote. Just cast a ballot.
The freedom argument is one used by the right wing in worry that the liberals will benefit from this.
Then a valid question is raised as to the reason why each person needs to register and cast.
What's the point in doing so in the first place if your only going to be forced to show up, cast a throw away, and then leave?
Probably waiting in long lines to boot in some cases.

What kind of mentality lies with sheer cohersion and strong arming people against their will over things that were not issues in the past anyway?

No thanks. I like the freedom of staying home on election day without having any fear of someone knocking at my door if I don't go and vote, and then threating me or my family at my very doorstep. Sounds very... very..... uncomfortable and unnerving if you ask me.

Laika

Premium Member

Here:

Well, I would say that low turnout is a warning for those in power that they aren't engaging with people. It's simply that the people don't want to vote for what is on offer (and who can blame them). There are a number of other reforms they could do, like abolish the electoral college so the president is directly elected by the people (and avoid al the problems from the 2000 election), over turn citizens United or maybe even give Washington DC statehood that would increase the turnout. Of course "electoral fraud" is being used to reduce the number of voters. It would probably also help if they reintroduced media objectivity laws so the media didn't function as a partisan propaganda arm and people were informed.

Compulsory voting is a blunt instrument. There are other methods that could be used.

HonestJoe

I’m torn on the idea of compulsory voting but I do think voting (specifically self-informed voting) should be considered a responsibility and duty of citizenship. The dismissal of the whole process because the political system is seen as fundamentally flawed and corrupt is just self-perpetuating. If anything else so vital to the success of a nation were as broken as people claim politics is, they’d be rioting in the streets which suggests to me either they don’t’ really care (which is sad) or it’s not really as bad as they make out but they can’t be bothered to put in the effort. Frankly non-voters (or wilfully uninformed voters) deserve everything they get, it’s just unfortunate that the rest of us have to suffer along with them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well so is capitalism. We don't make that illegal
Under our Americastanian system of capitalism, violence is not a legal option.
If you don't make your credit card payments, you'll just ruin your credit.
Only if government gets involved is violence the ultimate hammer.
In fact, debtor's prison still exists for those who can't pay fines.
But if you borrow money from a guy named Guido, & have to pay 50% interest per week, you might find otherwise.