• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First cause of the universe.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Really? Who does that? Do I decide to believe I'm ruled by some human who doesn't exist?
I don't know anyone that does that, unless they are mentally unstable, but 96 percent of the population, including very intelligent people believe in gods.
Ever head of Thor? How about Athena?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
God created lightning. And science has no answer as to why we are here.
Okay so you've replaced "Thor" with "God." It's like you're trying to make my point for me.

Science tells us where lightning comes from, and it ain't from God(s). Rather, it's a completely natural process. Hence the reason you don't run into a lot of Thor believers these days.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Maybe in your myoptic view of the topic. I suggest you actually learn from scripture so you can know what you speak of.

I just go by what you said. Perhaps you didn't explain it well.

You were asked to provide a test that could demonstrate that your god exists.
You then provided such a "test".

And upon further questioning, it turned out that if the test fails, it doesn't mean god doesn't exist.

That's not a proper test.

That's rather "heads I win, tails you loose".

Off course, we all know that you don't have such a test.
For the simple reason that there is a prerequisite for such a test to exist. And the prerequisite is that one needs to define the thing to be tested in falsifiable manner.

You have no falsifiable definition of your god.
So there can be no test.

Unfalsifiable things are infinite in number.
Just like the undetectable dragon that follows you everywhere you go.
This is why such things require "faith" to be believed.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It's the same for everyone.

Then why did you make the point that there are no facts that disprove gods?
It's a meaningless point if you agree that it's positive beliefs that requires motivation.
Lacking such motivation would result in disbelief.
I don't require motivation for disbelief. Do you?
Disbelief is rather what I default to when I lack reasons for belief.

..or the flying spaghetti monster..:rolleyes:

Sure. Any entity we both don't believe in will do. Funny how you cut out the actual example and the point being made though.

As there is no absolute way of knowing whether the Abrahamic G-d exists, it is up to you whether you believe it.

Bzzzt.

Again, no.
There are many things of which we have no "absolute way" of knowing if it is accurate or not. In fact, most things are like that.

Take a murder case.
There is no absolute way to know if X murdered Y. "proof" doesn't exist here. Evidence does - mostly circumstantial evidence.

And it's the evidence that will tilt you into belief (or not).
Lacking sufficient evidence for a guilty verdict, will result in "not guilty" (and NOT in "innocent" btw).

Would you say that it is "upto you" in some type of arbitrary way if you are going to believe if the accused is guilty or not? Off course not. You will always have some reason to inform your position. Your reason might be bad / irrational (like "I don't like his face - he looks guilty"), but you'ld still have some reason informing your position.

Your belief will be informed by *something*. And "arbitrary choice" won't be it.

It is not a case of you being right, and me being wrong.
That is what you imply. :D

It is a case of it being nonsense that (sincere) belief is a matter of "choice".
It isn't.

Exactly !

You say "exactly", but the way you used it seems to say otherwise.
But I'll go ahead and assume that I misunderstood or that your wording was just unfortunate and didn't express what you really thought about it. Since you agree now, there's no need to argue it further.

muhammad_isa

..You will always have some reason to inform your position. Your reason might be bad / irrational (like "I don't like his face - he looks guilty"), but you'ld still have some reason informing your position..
..or in some cases, an excuse rather than a reason. ;)

It is a case of it being nonsense that (sincere) belief is a matter of "choice".
It isn't.
Some choice is involved, yes.
For example, we can argue against belief, or be indifferent.

A singularity was likely under intense pressure. Then expansion followed. Not an astronomer or astrophysicist. Just my best short stab. Correct me if need be.
That singularity, according to Lemaitre, was a microscopic particle in the middle of nothing.

So far, "nothing" can't cause any intense pressure, because is "nothing".

A microscopic particle (called the "primeval atom" in his times) can't, by any means, expand and form galaxies.

No way.

In my opinion, that theory of the Big Bang doesn't fit in science.

Now when you know what the Big Bang theory is about, what do you think?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a human who doesn't theory about what I know no one knows. I don't.

As a human whose Living position is only on earth a planet I would preach the relativity of our human life is on earth only.

I would claim earth a planet a deity to enforce my human rights to live safely on the planet versus self destructive human personalities.

I would preach the sun big bang blasted itself why I know the advice as it's light conditions are above me in earths heavens.

And as a biological living consciousness I Iive and I die in the exact same light conditions. Hence my conscious awareness was about sun to earth changes.

As a taught human only thinker. I don't displace my being or why my self purpose is only human survival on planet earth.

I taught myself a human baby owns living human genesis about 120 years the same as an old man human who experienced living the life span.

So I'm totally human informed first.

As a human is a human as a human only owning life by human sex I was taught by myself don't lie. As it's an inerrant human condition.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That singularity, according to Lemaitre, was a microscopic particle in the middle of nothing.

So far, "nothing" can't cause any intense pressure, because is "nothing".

A microscopic particle (called the "primeval atom" in his times) can't, by any means, expand and form galaxies.

No way.

In my opinion, that theory of the Big Bang doesn't fit in science.

Now when you know what the Big Bang theory is about, what do you think?
How would you know what "nothing" is? You are thinking of something in the vacuum of space. Space is not nothing, it is something.