• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finnish PM calls for 4-day work week, 6-hour work days

Do you support 4-day work weeks and 6-hour work days?

• Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I support flexible schedules, but everyone must do at least 40 hrs/week to be productive

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Work schedules are a private matter between employer and employee; the government has no role

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Finnish PM Marin calls for 4-day-week and 6-hours working day in the country

Sanna Marin, Finland’s new Prime Minister since early December has called for the introduction of a flexible working schedule in the country that would foresee a 4-day-week and 6-hours working day.

Marin, 34, has drown international attention, being the youngest female head of government worldwide who leads a 5-parties centre-left coalition, entirely headed by women.

Her coalition has demanded a test run for the new working schedule, on the occasion of the 120th anniversary of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Turku.

Sounds like an excellent idea. This would mean that everything above 24 hours per week would be overtime.

The Nordic nation has embraced agile working patterns for decades as the country adopted the Working Hours Pact in 1996, which gives most employees the right to adjust their typical working hours of their workplace by starting or finishing up to three hours earlier or later.

In neighbouring Sweden, where the 6-hour-day has already been applied since 2015, results showed that employees were happier, wealthier and more productive, as they were still fully paid and customers were more satisfied.

It seems to work well in Sweden. I think it's worth a try here in the U.S.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I suppose most American workers need more leisure time and family time. I like the idea of workers being required to work fewer hours. I also like the idea of workers, those who don't mind working more than 24 hours a week, being paid double time for the hours they've worked in excess of 24 hours during the week ; this cost being passed along to consumers. Power to the workers!

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Part of me rebels at this, but perhaps it is time that we start applying the fact that the number of labor saving devices have greatly increased by saving the labor of people themselves.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some older egalitarian cultures had 'free time' as the most valued asset. Slowly it changed to 'money'. Are we going back to that? I sure hope so. This has long been a complaint ... 'people work too hard'. Good to see somebody, anybody doing something about it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Unfortunately I cannot imagine it happening here. We worship high productivity at the lowest cost.

This snapshot of the 13 most efficient countries includes several European countries with a standard working week well below 40 hours.

It does not include America or Finland

The 13 Most Efficient Countries In The World

Time magazine rates the US as 5th most productive, the 4 above is are European, again with a shorter working week

It rates Finland as 13th
These Are the Most Productive Countries in the World

pearl

It depends on what is meant by a shorter work week. Does productivity remain high because of now working ten hours a day as opposed to eight?

Shad

Veteran Member

Sounds like an excellent idea. This would mean that everything above 24 hours per week would be overtime.

Wont work in the US as it would require modification of wages and social programs lest reduced hours hurt people's wallet. After all you are reducing a 40 hour work week to 24 hours. Do the math. Something your articles fails to point out. There are also a n7umber of examples of the system failing in Sweden which your article does not point out either.

Sweden tried out a six-hour working day. This is what they found

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

As much as I would love to see it,. ain't gonna happen. *Sigh*

I am fortunate to have a three to four day work week, but the days themselves are 12 to 14 hours long. The majority of it driving with the rest loading and unloading.

Watch productivity though and the Finnish economy. They are on the right track.

Twilight Hue

Wont work in the US as it would require modification of wages and social programs lest reduced hours hurt people's wallet. After all you are reducing a 40 hour work week to 24 hours. Do the math. Something your articles fails to point out. There are also a n7umber of examples of the system failing in Sweden which your article does not point out either.
I think the best venue for the US would be to increase hours to 12 and offer 4 day work weeks. That way compensation won't be affected.

I got such a job and while it's tough with the longer days, the three day weekend makes it all worthwhile imo.

Shad

Veteran Member
I think the best venue for the US would be to increase hours to 12 and offer 4 day work weeks. That way compensation won't be affected.

My point was the article hide facts about the programs attempted in Sweden. Such as hiring replacement staff, increased pay for decreasing hours. Government funding as per my link.

I am not a fan of 12/4 myself having done 4 on 4 off 12 hours days when I was in my 20s.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I voted yes,it's a great idea imo although with an option to opt out like the 48 hour working week here.

I prefer flexi time personally but a 4 day week sounds good,a 6 hour day even better,depending on the work involved after 6 hours productivity drops,problem is,as I see it is economics,what company is going to pay the same as a 40 hour week.

Twilight Hue

My point was the article hide facts about the programs attempted in Sweden. Such as hiring replacement staff, increased pay for decreasing hours. Government funding as per my link.

I am not a fan of 12/4 myself having done 4 on 4 off 12 hours days when I was in my 20s.
Yea. It's a mixed bag. Not everyone is keen on 12/4. I just happen to like the three straight days. My logic is that I'm already 'warmed up' so the extra hours are less of a hassle overall.

Shad

Veteran Member
Yea. It's a mixed bag. Not everyone is keen on 12/4. I just happen to like the three straight days. My logic is that I'm already 'warmed up' so the extra hours are less of a hassle overall.

Sure no doubt some people have no issue. Most of those type of jobs up here are labour related and linked to oil production. The pay is also well above similar work in other industries.

amorphous_constellation

Taking the the longer view, if the 6 hour workday might save people's health, then those costs the city paid might be eliminated. In america I feel like health is being sacrificed to productively. Also, our medical costs skyrocket probably because of corruption somewhere. So why should I trust the swedish complaint, are their drug costs and medical bills supporting rich insurance companies, or is their system based on some kind of lean system not based on profit

Shad

Veteran Member
Taking the the longer view, if the 6 hour workday might save people's health, then those costs the city paid might be eliminated.

Speculation.

In america I feel like health is being sacrificed to productively.

Health in America has been an issue for decades with production only being a minor part of that.

Also, our medical costs skyrocket probably because of corruption somewhere.

That corruption is in the schools since government started providing loans with no serious questions nor evaluations compared to bank based loans. Free government money is free government money.

So why should I trust the swedish complaint, are their drug costs and medical bills supporting rich insurance companies, or is their system based on some kind of lean system not based on profit

Profits still exist but are not subject to the "middle-man" taking a cut when it comes to healthcare. Also unlike the US politicians have not sold out recently.