• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finishing School

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
6a00d8341c5e0053ef014e89cd14fa970d-800wi

Charm school for women?

The idea of I.V.P.’s curriculum is not, necessarily, to train women from developing countries in the mores of Western Europe but to expose students to the oddities and taboos of one another’s nations. In addition to learning how to clean marble, address a dowager duchess, and serve a luncheon, the students attend lectures devoted to the customs of twenty countries. In a ninety-minute class on Nigeria taught by a Cordon Bleu-trained Canadian chef turned etiquette coach, I learned that, at a formal dinner in Lagos, appropriate topics of conversation include Benin bronzes and the local film industry. The Biafran war, it was emphasized, is best avoided. In a class on Mexico, we were warned that marigolds, red roses, and silver all make for inappropriate gifts (marigolds are morbid; red roses are lusty; silver, mined locally in Mexico, would fail to impress). As Neri says, “It’s better to learn from us than from your mother-in-law.”
Lessons from the Last Swiss Finishing School

Sexist or this still appropriate?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its interesting.

Not something I'd personally want to(or ever be able to afford to) attend, but I'm not bothered by it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Depends on the lessons taught, I would think. Worldwide customs and courtesies are good to know for some. Etiquette even.

But some things are unnecessary too, I'm sure in this day and age, we don't need to know how to appropriately curtsy.
Both sexes could benefit from lessons on poise and etiquette. The concept of a curtsy has gone the same route as that of a man spreading his coat on a puddle of water. In fact in today's day and age coed "finishing" classes should be taught.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Both sexes could benefit from lessons on poise and etiquette. The concept of a curtsy has gone the same route as that of a man spreading his coat on a puddle of water. In fact in today's day and age coed "finishing" classes should be taught.

Hell, I'd settle for general decency school. I know its easy to shake our heads at people for their behavior, but I have found a lot of people truly don't know any better.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I don't see anything wrong with learning local customs. I understand these kinds of classes are quite popular worldwide, and not just for women.