• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding God/Allah/take your pick

Apotheosis

Hey guys, and girls, I have done a lot of research into various religions. but to be honest I am not so much interested in the religion, as I am in the God/deity they are based upon. I guess you could say I want to talk directly to the boss, it would take me a lifetime to look into every religion on the earth. I feel almost a hunger for God, a need to talk, and learn from him/her. Am I alone in this hunger? And what do you guys recommend I do about it, should I just pray every day and night, and hope that God finds me? If I knew how to find him myself, I would, but every religion seems to have a different way of "talking" to him/her, and I have no clue which religion is correct, if any.

Thanks in advance-

Scott1

Hiya,

I am of the opinion that God has already "found" you.... God's grace is the force that motivates your search for Him.

I can only offer to you that I was the same way, and to continue your search.... God alone satisfies.

Peace,
Scott

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
You can only do so much and take things as they come to you and open your mind. You will either respond to God's grace or you won't. I pray that you do. Beggining the search is deffinately a good move.

The Least
~Victor

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Peace be with you Apotheosis and welcome to the forums,

God is so close to everyone of us. God is so Merciful and Great and so kind towards His servants. God doensn't forget those who remember Him. Resort to Him and ask Him sincerly and persistently and don't lose hope, never lose hope, for God loves those who persist in asking. Ask Him to guide you to what pleases Him and to where you shall find your happiness and peace of mind. Ask Him directly, there is no mediator or barrier between us and God, so ask Him for guidance and be sure that you won't be disappointed, for Allah never forsakes those who ask Him and trust Him, He never turned away those who resort to Him and knock His door. He always opens His door wide for those who want to enter it. So enter it Apotheosis and you will find a loving, generous forgiving God .

I wish you all the best, and may our dear God guide your way!!!
Peace

Steve

Hi :)
Heres a few verses that will help.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." mathew 7:7

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." John 14:6-7

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. 1 Timothy 2:3-6

There is a mediator - Jesus

and there is a barrier - Sin.
We have all broken Gods laws in some way, most people would admit that - thanks to Jesus we can aproach God because our fine has be paid on the Cross, if we choose to accept it.

This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished- he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. Romans 3:22-26

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What I would do is meditate and focus on it. Take into consideration what religions gods and goddesses make you feel more comfortable, and a stronger since of belonging.

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Just remember that "god" "allah" "consciousness" "the absolute" whatever you want to call it, has always been with you and in you. You just needed to realize it. The hunger you are feeling is coming from within you, all you need to do is look inward now.
But don't listen to me. You are the only person who can find the truth for yourself.
Namaste:D

anders

I hesitate to post anything that might be interpreted a proselytization, but anyway. I don't need a God. You could name the principle that is the main influence of my life Naam or Dao or whatever. I don't need a conversation, verbally or through sacrifices. To me, it is obvious that any imaginable "superiour being" doesn't either, because "it" hasn't told me otherwise.

For my actions in any situation that might arise, I rely on my on-the-spot judgement. No case is like any other previous one, for me or anyone else. For me, it's good enough to feel that I choose a way that results in as little harm as possible to anyone (or anything, for that matter): Always be in harmony with Nature (the Way) (Dao).

Theodore

Read the Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramahansa Yogananda if you are sincere about finding God in this lifetime. Kriya Yoga will get you there but it's a serious path (it's not for everybody).

maya

Those who seek him diligently shall find Him...You thirst him and he will quench that thirst. God is a good God and He will give you the knowledge you search. Just listen to Him. He is the best friend I have ever had. He is always there no matter how many times I fall short, He never leaves. He is so faithful. He will fill you. I pray for you that you will reamain still.

fiq

Hey

In your prayers to God, you can get straight to the point and ask God to show you a 'Sign' or something that satisfies your heart's desire to know (with conviction) that He exists and He can become your friend.

I have met a lot of people who have had experiences that satisfied their heart that He does exist and that He is there for us whether or not it involved a conversation with Him. Good luck!

Apotheosis

I have been praying twice daily, along with random prayers/meditations so hopefully if I am persistent God shall answer. Anyways I would just like to thank all of you who are giving me good advice, and even praying for me, I appreciate it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
fiq said:
Hey

In your prayers to God, you can get straight to the point and ask God to show you a 'Sign' or something that satisfies your heart's desire to know (with conviction) that He exists and He can become your friend.

I have met a lot of people who have had experiences that satisfied their heart that He does exist and that He is there for us whether or not it involved a conversation with Him. Good luck!
Hi fiq,

As I notice this is your first post here, I wanted to welcome you to the forum;

You might like to have a look at :- Articles for New Members ; from there, there is a link to the forum rules, which you ought to see.

Perhaps you might post on :-Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?, to introduce yourself to the other members.

see you around...........:)

Ukno

Hey

I'm glad that u've taken the first steps into reaching out to God. Hope u reach your goal. My only piece of advice to you that i hope that u take sincerely is that don't get disheartened if you don't see a change right away. Satisfaction in finding God may take a bit of time, but i think if u are sincere, you can do it.

Kind of off topic, but do you think that every person feels a yearning to find God?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ukno said:
Hey

I'm glad that u've taken the first steps into reaching out to God. Hope u reach your goal. My only piece of advice to you that i hope that u take sincerely is that don't get disheartened if you don't see a change right away. Satisfaction in finding God may take a bit of time, but i think if u are sincere, you can do it.

Kind of off topic, but do you think that every person feels a yearning to find God?
I don't think so - at least my olders son claims to be an atheist; he just seems 'not interested' - maybe it's his age - although I see may committed young Followers of different faiths on this forum. Maybe it's a reaction to knowing that his Dad believes in God, I don't know..............:)

BruceDLimber

Hi, A! :)

I would just add that we Baha'is believe that there is one God, known by many different names in the various languages and cultures.

And the Baha'i Faith sees ALL the great religions as legitimate and God-sent, all part of the one evolving faith, the Faith of God!

I wish you all the best in your search! :)

Regards,

Bruce

Ukno

I don't think so - at least my olders son claims to be an atheist; he just seems 'not interested' - maybe it's his age - although I see may committed young Followers of different faiths on this forum. Maybe it's a reaction to knowing that his Dad believes in God, I don't know..............
Interesting....personally, as a teenager, i do think that there is an in-built yearning in every person to try to find, realize and especially love God. I think that most or at least some people redirect this yearning to love God into a yearning for other things, namely finding a mate, or maybe to work, sports, t.v, and who knows what else. What do you guys think?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Apotheosis said:
Hey guys, and girls, I have done a lot of research into various religions. but to be honest I am not so much interested in the religion, as I am in the God/deity they are based upon. I guess you could say I want to talk directly to the boss, it would take me a lifetime to look into every religion on the earth. I feel almost a hunger for God, a need to talk, and learn from him/her. Am I alone in this hunger? And what do you guys recommend I do about it, should I just pray every day and night, and hope that God finds me? If I knew how to find him myself, I would, but every religion seems to have a different way of "talking" to him/her, and I have no clue which religion is correct, if any.

Thanks in advance-
Buddhism is not based on gods or deities. It is based on individuals attaining perfect enlightenment. Every person has the capacity to do this; some choose to cultivate this capacity, and others do not. The goal of Buddhism is the elimination of suffering, first in one's own life, and then for all life.

In Buddhism, an individual begins practicing to develop him- or her-self and begin making progress on the path towards enlightenment. This practice most often includes some form of meditation, be it silent sitting, mantra chanting , or other forms.

There is much more information available in the Buddhism forum here, but I don't want to spam those uninterested in this.