• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Find me a religion...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not a religion, more one authors philosophy on a future (far future) vision of an overriding culture. Yes it's SF but i find "The Culture" series by Iain M Banks to be full of thought provoking snippets.

Culture series - Wikipedia

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
...or philosophical viewpoint, or author of thoughtful thoughts.

So...I'm not looking to 'convert' or anything like that. Over various times in my life I've devoted a little effort in studying religions, or in schools of thought and philosophy, or even just more generally thought provoking books. I kinda do this to some degree all the time, but sometimes I try to focus more on a single area for a couple of months, and get a bit more in depth understanding, or at least read and study more widely than I normally would.
I ´ve sort of already given my suggestion in your other Op thread here: "Classical Mythology for Kids -
Classical mythology resources for kids
(Feel Welcome to post me personally on my Profile contact if you like)

Edit: My take and recommendation is really "Shamanistic" as in "Natural Religions" from Native Cultures.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

So...I'm not looking to 'convert' or anything like that. Over various times in my life I've devoted a little effort in studying religions, or in schools of thought and philosophy, or even just more generally thought provoking books. I kinda do this to some degree all the time, but sometimes I try to focus more on a single area for a couple of months, and get a bit more in depth understanding, or at least read and study more widely than I normally would.

I'm interested in both religions or philosophies you think I may be interested in (easier for those who've conversed with me, I guess) and also suggestions of useful materials if you have any. I'm trying to get an outsider's perspective, here. Whilst 'living as an x' is a useful way to a deeper understanding, I'm not really putting myself up for that, at least at this time. Life is challenging enough, and my wife already thinks I'm half mad.

No need for me to 'believe' in the religion to do this, obviously, but for this time around I'm kinda tossing up a couple of things.

1) Non-Western schools of thought and religion I can approach in terms of structure and concepts. (Possibly more concepts than structure). What are the schools of thought, what is the daily life of an adherant like, what is the history of the religion, how has it evolved, developed and split over time. To be clear, on these topics I am at a pretty basic level of understanding, so any materials suggested would need to be novice level, really, at least in terms of concept. History, etc, can be more complex and in depth.

2) Polytheistic and pagan belief systems, both in terms of what is known about the classical belief, and how some of these are incorporated in modern beliefs. Anything historical in this area I already have a decent handle on, I would say, so I'd be looking for pretty in depth information on old beliefs, stories, rituals and life styles. Modern pagan beliefs are much less known to me.

I'll trundle along in my own way regardless of responses to this thread, since I tend to always have some sort of academic reading on the go at any point in time. But I thought some people might be able to provide me with some thoughts or directions I hadn't considered, or some useful references to some I had.

Buddhism is a good starting point for exploring religious paths. There’s plenty of wisdom and a practical approach to life. Its been around for two and a half thousand years so well established and a known quantity. There’s different forms of Buddhism to choose from. Its somewhat exotic and interesting from a cultural and historical perspective. You can study it and not practice or become a devotee if you want. Theism is not necessary. I picked up a text of the Teachings of the Buddha when staying at a hotel in Kyoto, Japan a while back much like there used to be Bibles in motels.

https://www.bdk.or.jp/pdf/buddhist-scriptures/02_english/TheTeachingofBuddha.pdf

HonestJoe

be-excellent.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm interested in both religions or philosophies you think I may be interested in (easier for those who've conversed with me, I guess) and also suggestions of useful materials if you have any. I'm trying to get an outsider's perspective, here. Whilst 'living as an x' is a useful way to a deeper understanding, I'm not really putting myself up for that, at least at this time. Life is challenging enough, and my wife already thinks I'm half mad.

No need for me to 'believe' in the religion to do this, obviously, but for this time around I'm kinda tossing up a couple of things.

1) Non-Western schools of thought and religion I can approach in terms of structure and concepts. (Possibly more concepts than structure). What are the schools of thought, what is the daily life of an adherant like, what is the history of the religion, how has it evolved, developed and split over time. To be clear, on these topics I am at a pretty basic level of understanding, so any materials suggested would need to be novice level, really, at least in terms of concept. History, etc, can be more complex and in depth.

2) Polytheistic and pagan belief systems, both in terms of what is known about the classical belief, and how some of these are incorporated in modern beliefs. Anything historical in this area I already have a decent handle on, I would say, so I'd be looking for pretty in depth information on old beliefs, stories, rituals and life styles. Modern pagan beliefs are much less known to me.

I'll trundle along in my own way regardless of responses to this thread, since I tend to always have some sort of academic reading on the go at any point in time. But I thought some people might be able to provide me with some thoughts or directions I hadn't considered, or some useful references to some I had.

You might find secular nonduality a philosophy of interest. It blends the Eastern philosophy of nondualism and science, with little or no mention of deity or belief. Swami Sarvapriyananda, a monk of the Ramakrishna order I've grown to respect who is and the head of the Vedanta Society of New York is a member of SAND (Science and Nonduality), as is Deepak Chopra. Below is a link...

SAND

sealchan

For me personally, I get endless pleasure from reading the works of Joseph Campbell, the comparative mythologist. He has, himself, studied the stories and rituals of religions of primitive to complex societies and has examined them from a very grand historical perspective.

Perhaps one of the greatest revelations for me from his ideas is that artists in all media ARE the wellspring of myth and religion for a given culture. This means that in our current cultures the artists are those who will serve up the next great revelatory visions and inspire our new stories and rituals. So daily practice of religion IS the work of an artist inspired by what Jung and others refer to as the unconscious. Campbell, himself, was a scholarly friend of Jung's ideas and the works of C.G. Jung preceded and dovetail into Campbell's work smoothly.

Clara Tea

So...I'm not looking to 'convert' or anything like that. Over various times in my life I've devoted a little effort in studying religions, or in schools of thought and philosophy, or even just more generally thought provoking books.

I think that thoughts should be thoughtful. Unthoughtful things should not be thought in the first place. That's a mighty good combination. I wonder, though, if I am capable of thought, because it is possible that I only think that I am thinking. Or, maybe I think that I think that I think? It seems that this string could go on and on.

It doesn't matter whether you believe. What matters is that you are here and discussing religion. That is only the first step to belief, and a vital step for which belief would not be possible without.

At this point, I want to meditate to levitate (but I keep getting tangled in the balloon wires).