• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, the Real Majority Pushes Back Against the Bitter Third

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I just LOVED this rant. It was, as they say "music to my ears"

Finally, the Real Majority Pushes Back Against the Bitter Third

Trump’s presidency isn’t over, but Wednesday morning we woke up for the first time able to imagine what life after Trump will look like. Hallelujah.

A wave of women, immigrants, candidates of color, and trans candidates swept into office from coast to coast, in an utter repudiation of Trumpism’s ugly intolerance. On an off-year Election Day that typically attracts fewer voters of color, it was those very voters, particularly black women, who carried Democrats and pro-health care, pro living-wage ballot initiatives over the top. Trump apologists in the right-wing media feverishly tried to spin the night as a lesson to Republicans to cling harder to Dear Leader, but the exit polls made it clear that he might as well be made of asbestos.

It turns out that Trumpism is many things: a cult, per religious scholar Reza Aslan, and perhaps even a doomsday cult; an excuse for those who demand that the long dead past come calling on them, rather than proactively moving toward the future, and a window into an ugly part of the American soul. For the Republican Party, Trumpism is like a slow-acting poison. It may not kill the party today, but just as its wiser adherents, some of whom have left the party, warned a year ago, it is condemning the Grand Old Party to at best a schism, and at worst an existential grave.

Tuesday’s election allowed millions in the American majority to finally take a deep, cleansing breath after a year of fear and loathing, watching the rampant corruption of our government and the degradation of our culture by the vulgar president and his Putinite coterie. It allowed the world to see that our country has not gone entirely mad.

So permit me to be unusually hopeful about the future, because no matter how dark the present often feels, we do stand to inherit a world free from Trumpism, no matter how pervasive and oppressive it can feel day to day. Trumpism is doomed to fail because in the end, you can’t beat modernity into submission. Nor can you roll back progress for long.
The Trumpists—who cling to their doomed, dirty coal mines and their guns and their grievances, and their dreams of a wall to keep the brown people out—cannot inherit the future. The future belongs to those who embrace modernity, not those who cling to the past. It belongs to those who pick up all they have and move across land and oceans; whether it’s the immigrant or the internal migrant who traverses the country in search of a better life. These are the people who founded America; some by choice, others by force. They are the Trumpists’ own ancestors, after all.
Meanwhile, liberal evangelicals are showing Trumpite “prosperity” Christians who venerate Trump as if his name is in the gospels a different meaning of morality; reviving the poor people’s campaign and uniting Americans across racial, religious, and political lines in the cause of economic justice.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
A good start. Let's keep voting tho. This could be a generation wake up call. . . Most people actually do believe in most liberal principals, both social and economic.

And we can also stop taking the bait when the inevitable companion thread shows up helmed by a conservative that can't help themselves. . . A lovely feature of all Liberal Only/Femisnism threads.

(Though now that I said this, it won't happen this time!)

:)

PureX

Veteran Member
Oh, ye, of such lightweight cynicism!

Be for-warned! The greed, ignorance, and wanton idiocy has not yet found it's limits, nor drunk it's weight in blood. There has been no longed for 'sea change'. Only a momentary lull before the final rush into the abyss.

Skipper

Wrong is wrong,/ Make America moral again.
The election of Trump woke up the women of America. Never have so many run for office before and never have so many been elected.

There is great ironic humor in the women who won some of the seats in the House of Delegates in Virginia.

Kuzcotopia

Oh, ye, of such lightweight cynicism!

Be for-warned! The greed, ignorance, and wanton idiocy has not yet found it's limits, nor drunk it's weight in blood. There has been no longed for 'sea change'. Only a momentary lull before the final rush into the abyss.

What are you talking about?

This is a matter of galvanizing liberal voters who often stay home. They saw the consequences of not voting, and now they showed up earlier this week. The OP used the moment to crow about it for a bit.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Great news for those in the blue ties. Let's hope they can make something of this.

PureX

Veteran Member
What are you talking about?

This is a matter of galvanizing liberal voters who often stay home. They saw the consequences of not voting, and now they showed up earlier this week. The OP used the moment to crow about it for a bit.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I'm saying that there has been no major change in our collective national desire to self-destruct.

Kuzcotopia

I'm saying that there has been no major change in our collective national desire to self-destruct.

Why do you believe that a nation of US citizens have a collective desire to self-destruct?

Do all nations share a similar desire to self-destruct? Do the citizens of Belgium have a collective desire to self-destruct? How abou the citizens of Paraguay? Mongolia? Pit Cairn?

PureX

Veteran Member
Why do you believe that a nation of US citizens have a collective desire to self-destruct?
Because that's what selfishness as a social meme comes to.
Do all nations share a similar desire to self-destruct? Do the citizens of Belgium have a collective desire to self-destruct? How about the citizens of Paraguay? Mongolia? Pit Cairn?
It's a matter of degree. All human societies are infected by the individual selfishness that could lead to their dissolution, but most find ways of managing and mitigating it. Unfortunately, the United States has not been effectively doing that, and other modern nations have been following our lead.

Kuzcotopia

Because that's what selfishness as a social meme comes to.
It's a matter of degree. All human societies are infected by the individual selfishness that could lead to their dissolution, but most find ways of managing and mitigating it. Unfortunately, the United States has not been effectively doing that, and other modern nations have been following our lead.

How? Can you go from generalizations to specifics? Or are you just making this up as you go along?

PureX

Veteran Member
How? Can you go from generalizations to specifics? Or are you just making this up as you go along?
What is good for the self is not always what is good for society. So we have to make some sacrifices in order to live together in relative peace and prosperity. To the degree that we are not willing to make those sacrifices, we endanger our social cohesion.

The people of the United States are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to maintain social peace, prosperity, and cohesion. Instead, we want everything our own way, all the time, and to hell with everyone else. And what's worse, we vote accordingly, if we vote at all. So we invite and reward politicians that pander to our selfishness to get themselves elected, and then to their own selfishness once they gain office. We tell them with our votes that want them to rig the courts and cheat the system in our favor, or we won't vote for them. And then we're all shocked when every politician we elect turns out to be corrupt. When they appoint blatantly biased judges to the state and federal courts. When they sell their legislative votes to whichever corporation is paying their bribe money that week. We're fine with them lying and cheating and stealing from others on our behalf, and then we're shocked when they lie and cheat and steal from us on behalf of big corporate donors.

Most American have no idea what social responsibility is, let alone how to fulfill it, even if they were willing to. And so far few are.