• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally moving away from Linux Mint

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Changed to Mint when Windows expired. Now changing to Arch, Debian and Antix for faster booting.
Have Mint, Mx, Fedora, Ubuntu and Manjaro on my computer.
I have been using Ubuntu for the last few years.
Wonder if anyone can give suggestions on a smaller faster OS"

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wonder if anyone can give suggestions on a smaller faster OS"
As mentioned above and in that order. Arch (through Anarchy Installer), Debian and Antix. All less than 30 sec without tinkering. Arch loading in less than 16s, Debian loading in less than 17s on my machine (i386). I am still at it. Of course, Puppy takes the cake. You may try EasyOS.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
As mentioned above and in that order. Arch (through Anarchy Installer), Debian and Antix. All less than 30 sec without tinkering. Arch loading in less than 16s, Debian loading in less than 17s on my machine (i386). I am still at it. Of course, Puppy takes the cake. You may try EasyOS.

Still on Ubuntu LTS here. I've tried others, but basically there are two real players Fedora & Ubuntu and everyone else is playing catch-up. CentOs is fine too, but I'm not into the Redhat way of doing things, so it's irrelevant to me. :D (They really love years old versions of LUA, Node, and Python and Perl, lol. I think LTS releases should have the latest LTS release of the application.)

My major complaint in Ubuntu is sometimes there is some crusty old libraries on or versions of script engines which introduce problems and since I'm 'special' I always run into them eventually. But, the simplicity of the installer and the fixing of the problems keeps me coming back.

I have use Mint for years in the past and don't hate it or anything, but it offers me nothing really more than the usual Ubuntu installation. Mint w/XFCE 4 or Ubuntu with XFCE 4... All looks the same, lol. Though, TBH the default desktop in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS+ is on par with Windows 10 in ability these days and offers 'screen clipping' and instant video recording. So, it's working pretty well for me.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Changed to Mint when Windows expired. Now changing to Arch, Debian and Antix for faster booting.
A few days ago I thought "I should ask @Aupmanyav if MINT is really good". I tried out many Linux distros, but they were not very stable (or I challenged them too much:D). Windows I never have things messed up (make 1 perfect image, and whenever trouble re-image in 10min).

But 1 year ago I tried MINT and it seemed quite good. Is slower boot the only reason you stopped MINT?

KIOSK is my favorite Linux browser (super safe and fast), and I liked Porteus for Linux, as I use it "frugal", so every reboot my system is "virgin" again:D. And being only a few 100 MBs this one boots fast (even on my ancient computer from 2006). But still I find windows more convenient, and I don't worry about updates/expiration and stuff.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I could not exist with Windows. It does not like tinkering and I cannot do without tinkering. Windows 10 is 5.4 GB. I can put it on VirtualBox but why should I? Must have reloaded Mint and other distributions at least a 100 times (wonder how my hard disk, old 320GB, tolerates it, but it does). Reload Mint in 5 minutes with Timeshift or install anew in 15. It is good, though it is not meant to be minimalistic (that being my grudge). I have Puppy, Porteus and Star on VirtualBox. I would like to get used to Abiword, don't like Libreoffice bloat.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Well, no problem about Mint either. 19.2 was giving me +/- 22s. But the three are below one GB.

You can have an _extremely_ small Ubuntu install if you take the server option and only put in there what you need. I used to do that for really small/slow computers and all of a sudden they weren't junk. I've also frequently done it with servers which may only need to run one or two apps. Custom "ubuntu" as it were.

But, for this particular machine that I am on I'm just lazy and take the LTS desktop. It does everything I need... uses little space, runs on low cpu, and runs all the apps I need. All I had to add to it was HP print support and go.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
HP Print Support or more correctly, HP Bloat - never, never. Completely satisfied with cups. Just like Windows, I could not ever live with HP. :)
I will check about the Ubuntu Server thing.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Must have reloaded Mint and other distributions at least a 100 times
Aha, now I understand. I am not the only one needing to reinstall Linux more than once in 3 years:D

(wonder how my hard disk, old 320GB, tolerates it, but it does).
IF Windows were just as stable as my harddisks:D

Reload Mint in 5 minutes with Timeshift or install anew in 15.
I always use snapshots in windows, even to make image of Linux, but good to know Timeshift works good.

It is good, though it is not meant to be minimalistic (that being my grudge). I have Puppy, Porteus and Star on VirtualBox.
Yes, MINT is far from minimalistic, hence I did not like it.

I would like to get used to Abiword, don't like Libreoffice bloat.
Libre office with 12000 files is over the top for me too. Abiword is far too little. When on Linux a few years ago, I found another one that was very small, but with lots of options, called "textmaker", now called "freeoffice". In 2008 they had a small version (less than 100 files constituting word + excel), now their new versions of course became bigger too:eek:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

For my money, OS X is my Unix of choice. But I like to read these threads, because if OS X ever goes away, I'll have to switch to Linux :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am not a computer expert. Checked, Ubuntu server may not be able to give me much advantage. Kubernets, cloud computing may be better, public clouds with no charges, might be better. I have never worked with Mac machines, too costly for India. For word processor, option is Google Docs or Word Online, does not cost me money or space on hard disk. But at the moment, I will try to carry on with Arch, Debian and Antix, filling them with what I like and removing what I do not need. :)