• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally in College!!

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
Congratulations! You must be so excited. Having only gone to the community business school, I never had the opportunity to go to college, so that experience passed me by. I will tell you this though, study first, party later. Make the most of your college years because these are the stories you'll be telling you children. :eek:

Aqualung

Tasty
Lookingformeaning said:
Im finally in college, I moved in yesterday...yeah!!! Im also scared because I am out on my own...does anybody have any advice? I could use all of it I can get. :)
Boy, am I scared, too! Don't worry about it, though. It probably won't be as bad as people make it sound. Everything is always better than they say. Try not to let that get you down. And I'm making an effort to keep my old habits. Don't go eating all the time just because you can, and don't stay up really late if that's not a habit you had at home. At least that's what I'm trying to do.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lookingformeaning said:
Im finally in college, I moved in yesterday...yeah!!! Im also scared because I am out on my own...does anybody have any advice? I could use all of it I can get. :)
Sounds good to me - advice ? Eat properly, sleep enough and study and enjoy - you know you've got us here to chat to........:)

The Black Whirlwind

my big bro just went to college, and i have one piece of advice. buy a tv. do it now, i fyou dont have one already. he was there 4 days without TV, and then came running home and made my mom buy one for him (the college is just an hour-long commute from where i live).

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*big hugs* Congratulations! It's something I've wanted to do, and am still thinking about doing. I'm not sure if I could do the living on campus thing, though.

Advice? My sister, the R.A., begs you to not go and get drunk. (She dealt with too many freshmen overdosing on drink last year. I wonder if it's the new fad?)

I'll advice you to just be yourself, and know we're here for you!

Good luck with your freshman year in college!

My advice: get involved in as many things as you can. Join a club or play an intramural sport. Don't waste time on the computer or TV--try new things!!

robtex

Veteran Member
Lookingformeaning said:
does anybody have any advice? :)
Congradulations. The fear and uneasness that everyone feels their first time in college goes away rather quickly. By a week from now I doubt you will have the same fear.

Advice:

1) Network. Find people that can help you in a pinch and vice versa. It is ok to be choosey when decideing who to trust

2) Work on being autonomous in your day-to-day life. Your new living enviroment will almost dictate this so working in that direction will be in your best benefit.

3) Block-off study time. Treat it like a class. If you are a morning person the time will be in the morning. If you are a night-owl than at night. The time that is blocked off must be factored in to any drinking or other recreations you are going to do. What I mean is if your next session is set aside for friday morning at 9 a.m. don't get hammered on thurday night.

4) Organizations. 1-3 at the max. I saw a lot of people join everything they could get into and than shift their priorities from their classes and education to their club activities. That idea never ended well.

5) Study the handbooks and literature on different majors. Don't just pick a major and not know why you did or anything about it

6) Work on reading effeciently with a high rentention rate. The amount of material you will read in the next year will likely be more than you have read in the last 5 or more years. Learning how to digest large amounts of literature accurately is a big asset to have. The good news is once you get that down you keep that gift for life.

7) While you are inevitably going to go on junk food binges realize that nutrition can have a postitive affect on your body when studying. Eat at least 5-7 healthy meals a week.

8) People who makes drugs and booze a long-term (or sometimes a shorterm) college project rarely graduate.

ps i get the idea you don't do drugs or drink but thought it was important to convey those ideas to you.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:
Sounds good to me - advice ? Eat properly, sleep enough and study and enjoy - you know you've got us here to chat to........:)
That's the best advice anyone can give.

Likelihood of any self respecting University/College student actually doing that? :jiggy:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not having to deal with the living on campus part. Im just getting pre-reqs out of the way at a local community college, then on to the local university.
College really isn't that bad. I like it much better than high school. Not only can I pick what classes, I can also pick what times. I love that since of controll.