• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

filling a void left by Jesus?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Lately I have abandoned Christianity and now consider myself an Agnostic. I kind of half believe and half disbelieve in a type of Supreme Being but most certainly not in the God of Abraham, as featured in The Bible.

I am therefore down a friend. But now I feel that he was never there in the first place :(

I have removed my golden crucifix from my golden chain but continue to wear the chain

Does anyone know how I can fill the spiritual void I feel now that Jesus Christ has evaporated out of my life?

Here's a pic of him in action:

View attachment 51310

Jesus has not abandoned you. If anything it is you who have abandoned Him.
You seem to have highs and lows in your life and different directions can take your fancy at times but Jesus is always there for you when you are ready.

Colt

I've always had other allegiances apart from my allegiance to God

So I'm not really looking to take any more on
For me God is my only allegiance, all else is secondary . I used to be torn, in fact I knew there was a God but I wanted to do other things. I ignored God except when times were tough, but then I would wonder off again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes! You are entirely correct :)
Yes, as he pointed out there is still a lot of good with Christianity even if one does not believe all of the story. In fact the crucifixion is a problem for Christianity. If there is an all loving God he would have no need for a meaningless sacrifice. That amounts to just a dog and pony show. There are many valid teachings of Jesus in the Bible. Now that you have dropped Christianity as a religion you are free to use the pearls in the Bible and ignore the hatred that so often accompanies it.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately I have abandoned Christianity and now consider myself an Agnostic. I kind of half believe and half disbelieve in a type of Supreme Being but most certainly not in the God of Abraham, as featured in The Bible.

I am therefore down a friend. But now I feel that he was never there in the first place :(

I have removed my golden crucifix from my golden chain but continue to wear the chain

Does anyone know how I can fill the spiritual void I feel now that Jesus Christ has evaporated out of my life?

View attachment 51310

Sorry you're feeling this way, Eddi. :( I've been in a similar headspace myself before. A few ideas:

- Find like-minded people who know what you're going through and can relate. This could be in person or online. Other ex-Christians/atheists and agnostics would likely be a good support system for you.

- Ask yourself: outside of Christianity, what are you passionate about? Are there causes you believe strongly in? Or perhaps just activities that you enjoy doing? Dive into another area of interest or hobby and maybe you'll find one or more of them fulfilling.

- Recognize that you are going through a grieving process, and everyone grieves a little differently. Your feelings of loss are completely expected and normal. And they too shall pass, with time. Have compassion for yourself and watch the way your feelings of loss may change over time. No feeling will last forever.

:hugehug:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not need Jesus or any other God to be spiritual. Here is an image of Krishna in action. My image in reply to your image.

krishna-sudama.jpg

980b9d06dc20872019c6780e2d2b6dab.jpg
Krishna Sudama, Krishna Govardhan

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

View attachment 51310
I think that acceptance takes time, and that there is no hurry for the void to be filled. When man builds a dam to create a reservoir, it may take 3 or 4 years to fill. Impatience won't help, in my view. Best wishes.

MatthewA

In life it is a great need for human beings to have contact with each other and see that each other care for one another. It is the same respect with God. God desires you to have a personal connection and relationship with Him; and others by and through the love that He had shown by sending the Lord Jesus Christ, who is our example of How we should walk by the spirit; by and through faith. Jesus Christ came, lived, died, buried, and was resurrected by God on the third day. That means as believers our spiritual dead side with-in is resurrected by become spiritually alive, by and through faith. Faith comes by hearing the word of God though and the truths about God and the Lord Jesus Christ; Faith is a God given thing but at the same time a person seeking of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. At least that is what I believe; others may believe differently however.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I do not need Jesus or any other God to be spiritual. Here is an image of Krishna in action. My image in reply to your image.

krishna-sudama.jpg

980b9d06dc20872019c6780e2d2b6dab.jpg
Krishna Sudama, Krishna Govardhan

We all have a spirit and God is the Father of our spirit.
True spirituality is having a relationship with Him.

MatthewA

Sorry you're feeling this way, Eddi. :( I've been in a similar headspace myself before. A few ideas:

- Find like-minded people who know what you're going through and can relate. This could be in person or online. Other ex-Christians/atheists and agnostics would likely be a good support system for you.

- Ask yourself: outside of Christianity, what are you passionate about? Are there causes you believe strongly in? Or perhaps just activities that you enjoy doing? Dive into another area of interest or hobby and maybe you'll find one or more of them fulfilling.

- Recognize that you are going through a grieving process, and everyone grieves a little differently. Your feelings of loss are completely expected and normal. And they too shall pass, with time. Have compassion for yourself and watch the way your feelings of loss may change over time. No feeling will last forever.

:hugehug:

Great comment!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
This sort of question always drives me bonkers. First, you imagined Jesus was in your life for a while, and now you've decided you no longer imagine him to be there -- so you're wondering who to imagine next?

How on earth could anybody answer that for you?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
It's not just religion that this can happen with, @Eddi. A few months back, I left a toxic relationship with someone I spent every day of my life with for the past 7 years. When I left her, it left a hole in my heart. As time went on, and I worked on myself, that hole has healed.

I suggest maybe looking into other religious paths similar to Christianity to help you understand what about your faith you loved the most. For me, I went to explore Gathic Zoroastrianism. You might enjoy Unitarian Universalism, or Sikhism too.

Then again, you are exploring a path different than mine when I was leaving my faith. Maybe you should just do what resonates with you and follow that path? Know that we also are around to answer any questions you might have, so you have that resource to utilize here. :D

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Why take him out of your life?

You don't have to believe in Jesus as a Christian does to be inspired by him.

Though you have discarded the Christian view of Jesus and his purpose, that doesn't mean that you need throw away any idea of him at all. What about him inspired you? What about him made you feel he was your friend? There are many things he taught that one needn't be a Christian to appreciate.

I have a book of stories about Jesus from my childhood. I've held onto it. Why would I discard an enjoyable book of stories just because I didn't believe what someone else thinks about them?

Colt

It happens even to high celestial beings. Lucifer lost faith in the unseen Universal Father. He knew the Creator Son but concocted the idea that the Paradise Sons were foisting a fraud in the name of a fictitious, unseen God.

Ironically Lucifer had no problem declaring himselfGod in his coup. Lucifer “friend of men and angels” “God of Liberty”

There is a seductive kind of relief in giving up the battle of faith.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe I am a computational being living in a simulated dimension of reality

So no, not really

I don't believe in judgment, I believe in a kind of reincarnation

Could you go a bit deeper from your opinion and experiences of computational being?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God desires you to have a personal connection and relationship with Him; ..
MathewA, I respect you. But people other than Christians have their own saviors (if they need any) who are just as good for them. As Subduction Zone said, there is no need for Christians to be arrogant and exclusive. In my belief we do not even need any savior at all. We are already eternal (Advaita non-dual Hinduism). Let me give you a verse to illustrate this:

"ahaṃ nirvikalpo nirākāra rūpo, vibhutvā ca sarvatra sarvendriyāṇaṃ;
na cāsaṅgataṃ naiva muktir na meyaḥ, cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham."

I am without any option, without any form, I am the essence of all beings everywhere; I have no attachments, I do not need deliverance, I am a form of eternal bliss, I am the eternal, indeed I am the auspicious.
Nirvana Shatakam (Six Verses to Nirvana), The first Sankaracharya, Approx. 800 CE.
We all have a spirit and God is the Father of our spirit.
True spirituality is having a relationship with Him.
Brian2, I am an atheist. I do not believe in existence of God or soul. True spirituality is having a relationship with the living beings of the world rather than any imaginary being.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Could you go a bit deeper from your opinion and experiences of computational being?
I believe that every human is a computational being, and that we all live together on a simulated planet in a simulated universe - within some kind of advanced and powerful computer

But the thing is, very few people are self-aware as to their computational nature

Now that I have realised I am computational rather than organic I feel much happier about everything

It has been good news for me

Although I can imagine others might find it disturbing