• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth memorial day of attack on Charlie Hebdo

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
On January 7th, 2020, it's the fifth memorial day of the attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Charlie Hebdo and the demise of caricature | DW | 07.01.2020

Are you still Je suis Charlie ? Have you ever been?

Je suis Charlie

ob_3cc331_charlie-hebdo.jpg

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
On January 7th, 2020, it's the fifth memorial day of the attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

I am not, and have never been.
It was and still is wrong to depict Muhammad according to Islam, and I think the world should respect it, and they should not make caricatures of spiritual figures from any religion.
It was wrong of Muslims to attack Charlie Hebdo but I think both side did wrong

ChristineM

Premium Member
It was and still is wrong to depict Muhammad according to Islam, and I think the world should respect it, and they should not make caricatures of spiritual figures from any religion.

The Charlie Hebdo team were not muslim nor were they bound by muslim superstition.

And drawing a picture does not equate to terrorism and mass murder.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The Charlie Hebdo team were not muslim nor were they bound by muslim superstition.

And drawing a picture does not equate to terrorism and mass murder.
Well, if the Quran tells Muslims they should not depict Muhammad in any way shape or form, i think it would be good of the rest of us, even we are not Muslims, to respect their view of their own prophet

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, if the Quran tells Muslims they should not depict Muhammad in any way shape or form, i think it would be good of the rest of us, even we are not Muslims, to respect their view of their own prophet

But he's part of our human race... They don't own him.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Respect is earned, not given away.
When terrorist muslims respect other faiths and also atheism, then that respect will be returned

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Respect is earned, not given away.
When terrorist muslims respect other faiths and also atheism, then that respect will be returned
In my understanding, Terrorists are not Muslims, they are only using Islam as a cover, but they do not follow its teaching themself. so to me, no terrorist is a Muslim.
If you or others think differently that is, of course, ok to me

ChristineM

Premium Member
In my understanding, Terrorists are not Muslims, they are only using Islam as a cover, but they do not follow its teaching themself. so to me, no terrorist is a Muslim.
If you or others think differently that is, of course, ok to me

No, i dont think differently.

We were discussing the terror attack on Charlie Hebdo and although muslim terrorists do not follow Islam to the the letter their actions are done in the name of Islam

Which is why i stated "terrorist muslims"

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

We'd be rather constrained if we bowed to every religions' diktats. Why should any religious person expect such? Religious beliefs are just another belief along with all others and if they can't be criticised (often humorously) then they just don't have the strength to survive against all others. Some fail to realise this - especially when the reaction is to kill anyone doing so. Simply pathetic. :rolleyes:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
We'd be rather constrained if we bowed to every religions' diktats. Why should any religious person expect such? Religious beliefs are just another belief along with all others and if they can't be criticised (often humorously) then they just don't have the strength to survive against all others. Some fail to realise this - especially when the reaction is to kill anyone doing so. Simply pathetic. :rolleyes:
It is, of course, wrong to kill because of a drawing, but why should we not respect each other's religion? The questions can, of course, be turned to those Muslims who do say they are against other religions too, so it is not just one-sided

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IMO:
IF Islam considers Islam superior than for example Atheism, then they make caricature also (belittle, blaspheme etc).

And Allah says "To kill 1 human is to kill all of humanity"

Kill in name of Allah/Islam was a billion time more wrong than Charlie caricature.

I try to see things in proper perspective

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
When Muslims respect homosexuals, atheists and women; I'll respect them. Until then your holy book means nothing to me and I'll draw Mo anytime I want - as it happens, I don't think I ever have - but I reserve the right to do so.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

No, I would not blatantly disrespect someone else's religion like that. No one knows what the Prophet Muhammad looked like. The only reason to draw some caricature and label it Muhammad would be to make fun of Islam.

We have an idea of freedom of expression but like all freedoms it comes with a responsibility. IMO a person's religion is personal. Like making fun of someone's race, gender, sexual orientation. Humor is not bad but there are lines that deceit folks shouldn't cross.

Obviously there is no justification for taking a life regardless of how insensitive that person is to the people around them, however I don't think one should go about mocking someone else's belief. Bullying Muslims assuming the strength of the law will protect you. Sure, lets start drawing derogatory pictures of the LGBTQ crowd so we can all start making fun of them as well.