• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth grader told to remove Hooters mask in school

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
After all, the defendant did nothing wrong,
Oftentimes, the defendant did something quite wrong.

But their ability to hire more connected and expensive lawyers can influence the court decision, here in a country where Capitalism has made nearly everything a saleable commodity.

Your last vote for President is rather the poster boy for Capitalism in the judiciary. He legally cheated lots of people because he could afford better lawyers.
Tom

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How "express" means "exploit" in your mind, I'll never know, but I'm ready to move on from this.
It's because that is how we in our culture express it. "Exploits a woman's body", is a term commonly used here to refer to stuff like that. How "express" means naked, is what escapes me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
florida-hooters-mask-1000x500.jpg

Offensive? Rly?
Suppose the kid was wearing a mask that read:
"ALL LIVES MATTER! NO BLM!"

What do you suppose would happen? Amongst the SJWs?
Tom

danieldemol

Premium Member
In my school it was common for boys to have pictures of girls in bikinis etc on their folders.

I can't imagine a hooper's mask causing a controversy over here in Australia

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not to me.

But the school administrators have to take more than my opinion into account in setting policies. They're not saying he can't wear it other places, or can't wear a mask. Only that that mask is inappropriate and disruptive in an elementary school. They have to deal with the opinions of a wide range of people, and their goal is education.
Not personal expression.
Tom

Former teacher here. I exercised caution. It's just not worth it to have that self-righteous parent yelling at you every day. In this case probably some religious parent complained, and just to shut them up, the principal acted. You can't please everyone, and I expect the kid's Dad would make less fuss than the puritan. We had lots of kids reverse their t-shirts for similar reasons.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
EVERY form and expression of commercial advertising grotesquely offensive, in my opinion. And all the more so when it's been pasted on some innocent kiddie's face by a greedy corporation with the tacit approval his woefully ignorant parents. I, personally, think the parents ought to be fined for letting their kid go to school with corporate advertising on his face. Or anywhere on his body. But then I think all commercial advertising should be banned, categorically, and forever. And relegated to "find it" catalogues available only by request, on line or in paper version. And nothing more.

I tend to agree, although that would mean banning any shirts with a "Nike" or "Adidas" label - or any kind of designer brand. Even professional sports team jerseys, hats, jackets, etc. would also have to be banned.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been there.
I forget where, probably Chicago.

It had a niche market. It was a long time ago. They weren't famous for the fish.
Tom

ETA ~I think it was New Orleans~

"Big Dick's?"

So, what did they serve? Hot dogs?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think schools do stuff like this just to keep themselves out of trouble (i.e. avoiding calls from other parents, etc.) but it ends up backfiring.

This is often true (speaking from my background in teaching).
School administrators hate controversy, and will seek to avoid it, purely because anything controversial leads to parent complaints.

School of 600, parents being what they are these days...there are a lot of complaints.

It's a very annoying factor in schools to be honest. They can be weirdly sheltered, with even staff sometimes being closeted.

Just my opinion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I'm all for uniforms in public schools. No cliques, classism, or controversies.

My daughter is going to a no uniform school next year. That's somewhat unusual here. But they have a pretty strict dress code encouraging brandless clothes, and casual rather than dressy codes.

Seems to be effective, near as we can tell from friends kids, etc.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is often true (speaking from my background in teaching).
School administrators hate controversy, and will seek to avoid it, purely because anything controversial leads to parent complaints.

School of 600, parents being what they are these days...there are a lot of complaints.

It's a very annoying factor in schools to be honest. They can be weirdly sheltered, with even staff sometimes being closeted.

Just my opinion.

When I was in high school (late 70s/early 80s), it seemed the standards were looser. They had done away with the strict dress codes from years earlier. Some parents might have complained, but they were outnumbered by parents who didn't want to have a strict dress code. That's why school board elections can be so contentious, at least they are around here.

Sometimes I wonder if there are those who still carry some old resentments about their own school days, and end up being the loudest ones who complain to the school in their adult years. They might see it as a vicarious form of "payback."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
When I was in high school (late 70s/early 80s), it seemed the standards were looser. They had done away with the strict dress codes from years earlier. Some parents might have complained, but they were outnumbered by parents who didn't want to have a strict dress code. That's why school board elections can be so contentious, at least they are around here.

Sometimes I wonder if there are those who still carry some old resentments about their own school days, and end up being the loudest ones who complain to the school in their adult years. They might see it as a vicarious form of "payback."
If that had happened in Italy...let's see...
The male schoolmates would have kneeled before this kid. They would have worshipped him like a deity.

And if some female pupil had protested, they would have told her that she is envious of the waitresses' beauty.

That's Italia
:p:p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting theory. I was a primary school teacher, and didn't really notice that. It was more that some parents thought their kid was the most important in the class. Obviously, they are the most important to them. But a surprisingly large number of parents would readily throw the rest of a class under a bus and accept special treatment for their own kid, without reflecting on the larger picture at all. So I'd see myopic parents as the biggest issue.

But I had a friend who was a high school teacher, and his perspective was very much along the lines of what you're suggesting. He found the hardest parents...and by extension kids...to deal with were parents who had struggled or hated school, and then been successful in their later life. Tradesmen running their own businesses was the example he commonly used. Men in particular who had not relied on school for their success, but had instead worked their way up through an industry and ended up owning a business, and employing people.

Just different viewpoints, so I can't validate it objectively, but as a subjective story I thought it might be of interest.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If that had happened in Italy...let's see...
The male schoolmates would have kneeled before this kid. They would have worshipped him like a deity.

And if some female pupil had protested, they would have told her that she is envious of the waitresses' beauty.

That's Italia
:p:p

Well, considering the publicity this has gotten, I'm sure he probably gained some coolness points among his peers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oftentimes, the defendant did something quite wrong.

But their ability to hire more connected and expensive lawyers can influence the court decision, here in a country where Capitalism has made nearly everything a saleable commodity.

Your last vote for President is rather the poster boy for Capitalism in the judiciary. He legally cheated lots of people because he could afford better lawyers.
Tom
A necessary premise for a tort system....
The court presumes that it made the right decision
in adjudicating which party is in the wrong.
So....
A losing plaintiff therefore brought a suit against an
innocent party, thereby causing the defendant a loss
(court costs, attorney fees). The judges should make
the plaintiff reimburse the defendant.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I tend to agree, although that would mean banning any shirts with a "Nike" or "Adidas" label - or any kind of designer brand. Even professional sports team jerseys, hats, jackets, etc. would also have to be banned.
I'm all for it! Only fools and idiots wear that crap, anyway! :)

Clara Tea

Schools have to set some standards. They have to make sure that they don't train men to believe in women as sex object toys. I think that schools should go further, and get kids into a field to pick up garbage for a while, to learn not to pollute. I think that schools also have to teach social responsibility. Without parental supervision, that job falls to the teachers.