• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth grader told to remove Hooters mask in school

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's not the reason the principal gave.
"Earlier this week, the principal told him it was "inappropriate."

"Because it expresses a woman's body," Ian Golba explained."

It is the reason the instructor gave. And it is true. The very name "hooters" is in reference to a woman's breasts. That's why they named the restaurant that, and why the Owl's eyes in the company's logo, are drawn like a woman's nipples. There's no downplaying what that is about. Boobs. That's what they sell. And that is the objectification of a woman's body.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"Earlier this week, the principal told him it was "inappropriate."

"Because it expresses a woman's body," Ian Golba explained."

It is the reason the instructor gave. And it is true. The very name "hooters" is in reference to a woman's breasts. That's why they named the restaurant that, and why the Owl's eyes in the company's logo, are drawn like a woman's nipples. There's no downplaying what that is about. Boobs. And that is the objectification of a woman's body.
You're making it about some sexism thing when he only mentioned nudity.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're making it about some sexism thing when he only mentioned nudity.
Who mentioned nudity? I do not think this has anything to do with that. Do you think naming a restaurant, "Pussies", and then having a cartoon representation of a woman's vagina on it, and wait staff wearing super tight shorts which exaggerate camel toes, is not doing exactly the same thing as Hooters is, in its exploitation of women's breasts as sex objects?

PureX

Veteran Member
I believe Satan lives on Madison Ave.*

What other industry is built upon lying for money?
Tom

*Madison Avenue is a street in New York. It used to be dominated by advertising agencies, and became short hand for unscrupulous advertising.
The damage it has done to our culture is horrific. All that incessant lying has turned our heads into mush, and allowed the media and the politicians to suck out our brains. (And our souls!)

Watchmen

Premium Member
Okay..but could you please explain it to me?
Please:)
Hooters is a restaurant chain in America, similar to Chili’s or Applebee’s. The difference is Hooters’ servers wear tight shirts and short shorts. Hooters is slang for boobs. So there’s a sexualized component to it that a portion of Americans find offensive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
5th grader told to remove Hooters face mask in class

Is a Hooters mask offensive? I recall there was a big hullaballoo when the restaurant chain first opened, but it seems to have died down in recent years. Either it gained more acceptance, or most people felt it wasn't really worth fighting about. I haven't seen much picketing or protesting over it in recent years, and it appears to remain in business even as other restaurants are going belly up.
I see a potential problem with students providing the advertising venue.
But I'm OK with kids doing that.
Hooters is a restaurant chain.
If a Ronald Mcdonald mask is OK then Hooters is too.