• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth grader told to remove Hooters mask in school

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
5th grader told to remove Hooters face mask in class

ORLANDO, Fla. - A fifth-grade student was told not to wear his Hooters face mask in class, because it violates the Student Code of Conduct.

Ian Golba, 11, has been wearing a mask from Hooters restaurant to class, something he said he has been using since school started at Sunset Park Elementary in August.

Earlier this week, the principal told him it was "inappropriate."

"Because it expresses a woman's body," Ian Golba explained.

The boy's father, Steve, disagrees.

"He’s not thought that there is anything wrong with this mask, nor does he think there’s anything wrong with the restaurant," Steve Golba said.

So he called the school’s principal.

"He told me it was deemed offensive. I told him we go there as a family. We eat their wings, we watch sports. I said we have chocolate cake! We go there all the time it is not an offensive mask," he said, thinking that perhaps school administrators would change their minds.

Is a Hooters mask offensive? I recall there was a big hullaballoo when the restaurant chain first opened, but it seems to have died down in recent years. Either it gained more acceptance, or most people felt it wasn't really worth fighting about. I haven't seen much picketing or protesting over it in recent years, and it appears to remain in business even as other restaurants are going belly up.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
5th grader told to remove Hooters face mask in class

Is a Hooters mask offensive? I recall there was a big hullaballoo when the restaurant chain first opened, but it seems to have died down in recent years. Either it gained more acceptance, or most people felt it wasn't really worth fighting about. I haven't seen much picketing or protesting over it in recent years, and it appears to remain in business even as other restaurants are going belly up.
Damm. Now thats a healthy normal 11 year old.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Is a Hooters mask offensive?
Not to me.

But the school administrators have to take more than my opinion into account in setting policies. They're not saying he can't wear it other places, or can't wear a mask. Only that that mask is inappropriate and disruptive in an elementary school. They have to deal with the opinions of a wide range of people, and their goal is education.
Not personal expression.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If it just says the word and has no nude images, then the principal can shove it. I never cared for those sorts of rules at school. I wore a shirt with the gimp from Pulp Fiction on it to high school, which made a teacher pissy and he told me to cover it up but I didn't care. No one else said anything about it.

pearl

I find it interesting that the teacher quickly recognized the hooter's logo, guess he must be a patron.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I haven't understood why it is offensive.
I am not an American..so I do not understand...
"Hooters" is US slang for breasts in some instances. It's also the name of a restaurant that is famous for having attractive women in tight shirts and short shorts as waitresses: Hooters - Wikipedia

There's nothing "adult only" about it. They don't wear anything you couldn't see on the street.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Let's not pretend that ogling tits isn't their gimmick. The mask is a tacky choice for a child to wear to school, but I don't think it warrants outrage or media attention.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I find it interesting that the teacher quickly recognized the hooter's logo, guess he must be a patron.
I recognized it, although I'm hardly a patron.

Although, honestly, I expected something more inflammatory than just the name. I quite expected those big owl eyes that look like boobs.
Tom