• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Festival time

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is a busy time of year for the temple I go to, and for myself. Little wonder I have no time to think of 'other' festivals. Some extra seva for me too Here's a list, and a few words describing my personal take:
December 27 - last day of Vinayaka Vitrayam, the 21 day Ganesha festival, a homa, procession inside the temple. A few devotees have been going daily, and there's one long Tamil devotional they read daily ... celebratory, auspicious, gratitude
Jan. 1 - Not a traditional festival, but because it's the west, and he is the Lord of Obstacles, the temple is open all day for archanas, homa, procession, as folks naturally want to remove obstacles for the western year too. I won't go, cause it's too busy, and I align my life with the traditional New Year. But it's a very busy day at the temple, in part due to it being a western holiday. ho hum, social, food, external joy
Jan. 6 - Ardhra Abhishekham, the largest celebration of Nataraja at Tillai (Chidambaram) in India. Here, because we have an inner connection to that temple, 5:30 AM large abhishekam, with 10 plus sacred substances, followed by procession of he who Dances the Sacred Dance. auspicious, reminder of purpose, strong
Jan. 14 - Pongal, Thai Pongal, the harvest festival, where the traditional pongal is made - outside, regardless of weather - I'll miss it this year ... on pligrimage ... fun, laughter, cold, brave priests
Feb. 4 - Thai Pusam - the austere and religious Murugan festival. homa, kavadi, and milk pot procession, - silence, austerity, yoga, intense
Feb 18 - Maha Shivaratri - the long night of Siva, pujas at 6, 9. 12, 3, and 6 - for hard core devotees only, I start at 9 to avoid the crowd. peaceful, a good tired, bhajans, Sri Rudram, two temples

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
How is Vinayaka Vitrayam observed? I've heard of it, but don't know a lot.

I remember you saying they make the pongal outside, regardless... I am very impressed, considering your climate...

Do you stay up all night for Maha Shivaratri?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How is Vinayaka Vitrayam observed? I've heard of it, but don't know a lot.

I remember you saying they make the pongal outside, regardless... I am very impressed, considering your climate...

Do you stay up all night for Maha Shivaratri?

I don't know, but I'll ask my friend if they do anything besides daily temple attendance and recitation of a particular prayer. There is a fast associated with it that involves eating only in the evening, like the Ramadan fast for Muslims.
Yes, they've always done Pongal outside. It can be fun. They lay down a mat now for the priests.
Last year we stayed up until 4 AM and quite enjoyed it. We went to a different temple on the way home, so I suspect we will stay up this year as well. It's nice because the later pujas have a very devoted crowd. The earlier ones often have 'trouble' with once a year folks coming who don't understand the rules. You?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know, but I'll ask my friend if they do anything besides daily temple attendance and recitation of a particular prayer. There is a fast associated with it that involves eating only in the evening, like the Ramadan fast for Muslims.
Yes, they've always done Pongal outside. It can be fun. They lay down a mat now for the priests.
Last year we stayed up until 4 AM and quite enjoyed it. We went to a different temple on the way home, so I suspect we will stay up this year as well. It's nice because the later pujas have a very devoted crowd. The earlier ones often have 'trouble' with once a year folks coming who don't understand the rules. You?

I haven't done the up all nighter yet. To do so in a temple environment with the kids simply wouldn't be possible, due to the disabilities of the 9 year old. That's something I hope to do as they mature a bit.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I haven't done the up all nighter yet. To do so in a temple environment with the kids simply wouldn't be possible, due to the disabilities of the 9 year old. That's something I hope to do as they mature a bit.
Yes it's tough. I can't ever recall doing it with any or all of our kids. It's not only the night, but the next day.