• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fencing or Light Sabres?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I highly doubt that a latex foam sword can in any way compare to the vids. Zero.
I didn't say they did. My own words were "nothing like the videos." But nevertheless you can still really hurt people with them even when you're not trying to. And, yes, I've seen it happen. It's not like we're swinging pool noodles at each other.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They're not just foam though. It's foam wrapped around a hard center. Smack someone hard enough, and the foam ain't gonna matter.
Yup. A large ax across the face doesn't feel good. Pissing blood is no joke. With my own sword I could probably break ribs, cause some serious damage to a few internal organs, and I don't doubt I could crush a trachea with it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
One of my LARP friends used to do SCA. Listening to him I realized they don't do combat right either, and they run on the idea that you take a hit that would "cut through armor."
Conversely, I was once medic at a big gathering, there was a guy who got hit three times, and each time the guy said "my armour would have stopped that!" Now, in metal weapons, we pull our blows, you're not meant to hit full fkrce. Anyway, the fourth time the guy was hit, as he lay crumpled on the ground in a ball of pain and broken ribs, they guy who hit him, full force this time, casually asked "would your armour have stopped that?"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Conversely, I was once medic at a big gathering, there was a guy who got hit three times, and each time the guy said "my armour would have stopped that!" Now, in metal weapons, we pull our blows, you're not meant to hit full fkrce. Anyway, the fourth time the guy was hit, as he lay crumpled on the ground in a ball of pain and broken ribs, they guy who hit him, full force this time, casually asked "would your armour have stopped that?"
That sounds more or less about the same as what my LARP friend described SCA. It sounds like a lot of fun, but from what he said there are too many people out to hurt others. Even LARPing we're supposed to draw our hits, because you can really hurt someone even with a fiberglass-core foam latex weapon, especially when it's cold out and the foam gets stiffed. And it's no wonder. I took a big *** ogre axe to the side of the head once (unintentional), and the guy didn't swing fast or hard but it was big enough that I definitely felt it and saw a star or two. And even regular LARP swords, they aren't wooden training swords, but they aren't plastic lightsabers either.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Larp fights might be serious within the game, but I doubt a large percentage of them even know melee combat tactics.