• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fencing or Light Sabres?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I'm old school, I like the nuance and style but these newsters I am not so fond of, compare the two and comment:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I've long thought actual light sabres would be far more a point weapon like a foil than an edge weapon like a sabre. Sure, the long edge would cut perfectly well, but since the damage comes from the heat of the blade, rather than the force of the swing, the range work with the point is more attractive.

Actual combat with an actual light sabre would probably be far more like Italian style (so not limited to peist fore and back) epee work than the theatrical hack and slash we see in the movies.

Many of the Jedi also do this thing where they spin 360 in the middle of combat, for no clear reason, which in an actual swordfight would be an excellent way to get stabbed in the back.

I fought French foil and epee for many years, then mediaeval long sword and sword and board.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many of the Jedi also do this thing where they spin 360 in the middle of combat, for no clear reason, which in an actual swordfight would be an excellent way to get stabbed in the back.
I see people do that LARPing, I instantly recognize they are Hollywood trained, I target them, and quickly take them out. And then explain to them that I just kicked their *** because you do not do flashy showy off crap because it's not done and it gives you away as someone who has absolutely no idea what they're doing because they leave themselves wide open wasting energy making needless motions.
I've long thought actual light sabres would be far more a point weapon like a foil than an edge weapon like a sabre.
I think it would probably be more of a blend of sabre and katana. Really though it could go either way. Be fast or be dead, and those two tend to excel in that philosophy.
That larping mumbo jumbo with foam swords is nothing compared to this.
Don't let the foam latex fool you. Sure, it's nothing like the videos shown, but they can still injure organs (one player was peeing blood for awhile from taking hard hits to the kidneys), they can break and dislocate some bones, and especially with larger axes and great swords (or any weapon that is stiff from age) it can just straight up hurt. For a number of reasons the combat is not realistic (mostly being safety and that the latex swords don't slide off or around each other as real steel does), but it just means adopting to a new way and means of doing it. And it makes it fun, giving a new challenge to solve given normal tactics such as downward slashes, aiming for the head, and (especially) thrusts not being allowed. And what makes it even more fun is because it's fake you can make up fake styles of fight (or copy them entire from Arya of Game of Thrones as I have) and make it work to have fun and make it a show. I'm keeping up with a ren-fair vet, but from what he's described not even that ren-fair does it right (though good god they really play whack a ***** while they do it from what he said).
And, really, even the videos aren't all that realistic because the real fights just tended to not last even half that long, so even there it becomes adapting to that way of doing it.

Jumi

That larping mumbo jumbo with foam swords is nothing compared to this. I didn't even put up the full contact jousting in there.
Good to know some people take their interest in history seriously. :) Some years back I was tempted to train at a gym teaching sword and shield and long sword, the folks there had a background in eastern martial arts but had gone full on medieval.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I see people do that LARPing, I instantly recognize they are Hollywood trained, I target them, and quickly take them out. And then explain to them that I just kicked their *** because you do not do flashy showy off crap because it's not done and it gives you away as someone who has absolutely no idea what they're doing because they leave themselves wide open wasting energy making needless motions.

I think it would probably be more of a blend of sabre and katana. Really though it could go either way. Be fast or be dead, and those two tend to excel in that philosophy.

Don't let the foam latex fool you. Sure, it's nothing like the videos shown, but they can still injure organs (one player was peeing blood for awhile from taking hard hits to the kidneys), they can break and dislocate some bones, and especially with larger axes and great swords (or any weapon that is stiff from age) it can just straight up hurt. For a number of reasons the combat is not realistic (mostly being safety and that the latex swords don't slide off or around each other as real steel does), but it just means adopting to a new way and means of doing it. And it makes it fun, giving a new challenge to solve given normal tactics such as downward slashes, aiming for the head, and (especially) thrusts not being allowed. And what makes it even more fun is because it's fake you can make up fake styles of fight (or copy them entire from Arya of Game of Thrones as I have) and make it work to have fun and make it a show. I'm keeping up with a ren-fair vet, but from what he's described not even that ren-fair does it right (though good god they really play whack a ***** while they do it from what he said).
And, really, even the videos aren't all that realistic because the real fights just tended to not last even half that long, so even there it becomes adapting to that way of doing it.

I highly doubt that a latex foam sword can in any way compare to the vids. Zero.

I have done a little blacksmithing in my day, not proper forge work but mixing modern welding and weapon smithing together. I have made machetes, swords, hand & a half swords, maces morning stars, daggers, and flails. mostly out of break pads from big rig trucks, and pipe and roundstock for maces.

There is no comparison here, maybe I am missing the point on what you are saying here. Steel weaponry trumps foam weaponry. Maybe you hit someone with a foam sword and they get off balance and fall and break their arm, but a foam sword breaking an arm from contact? Doesn't make sense. Maybe if they had some bone degenerative disease I might believe it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Good to know some people take their interest in history seriously. :) Some years back I was tempted to train at a gym teaching sword and shield and long sword, the folks there had a background in eastern martial arts but had gone full on medieval.
IMHO, HEMA is the superior form of training

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I highly doubt that a latex foam sword can in any way compare to the vids. Zero.

I have done a little blacksmithing in my day, not proper forge work but mixing modern welding and weapon smithing together. I have made machetes, swords, hand & a half swords, maces morning stars, daggers, and flails. mostly out of break pads from big rig trucks, and pipe and roundstock for maces.

There is no comparison here, maybe I am missing the point on what you are saying here. Steel weaponry trumps foam weaponry. Maybe you hit someone with a foam sword and they get off balance and fall and break their arm, but a foam sword breaking an arm from contact? Doesn't make sense. Maybe if they had some bone degenerative disease I might believe it.
They're not just foam though. It's foam wrapped around a hard center. Smack someone hard enough, and the foam ain't gonna matter.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yeah, the SCA rattan jocks take themselves very seriously, too. I remain of the opinion that metal weapons is the way to go. To the point I literally had a finger cut off once, and still think so.

That said, I know a bunch of LARPers and SCAdians who all very much enjoy what they do, and more power to 'em. What? I should tell them they're having fun wrong?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Yeah, the SCA rattan jocks take themselves very seriously, too. I remain of the opinion that metal weapons is the way to go. To the point I literally had a finger cut off once, and still think so.

That said, I know a bunch of LARPers and SCAdians who all very much enjoy what they do, and more power to 'em. What? I should tell them they're having fun wrong?
I'm not saying that, I'm saying foam weapons can't put your life in danger.

Kangaroo Feathers

Was just joking about the Larp thing. :) Though historical enactment does have some same elements.
39743666_10217061486231632_5549006581456175104_n.jpg

Kangaroo Feathers

Depends on what you're looking for I think and there's lot to compare in the eastern from Filipino arts to modern gymnastic wushu to Japanese Ko-Ryu.
What I look for in my martial arts is giving a bit of flair and élan to what otherwise might descend into a lower class brawl.

ZtMQjaA.jpg