• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist Test

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Stupid and silly but also brilliant in its simplicity. Good way to get the point across

Sultan Of Swing

If that's all there is to being a feminist, then I guess I have to shrug my shoulders and say I'm a feminist too. People should then proceed to bat me over the head for my perception of what being "equal" actually is. :p

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't understand what the phrase "completely equal" is supposed to mean. Men can't give birth to children, so that's already one obvious aspect where men and women aren't "completely equal."

Sultan Of Swing

I don't understand what the phrase "completely equal" is supposed to mean. Men can't give birth to children, so that's already one obvious aspect where men and women aren't "completely equal."

And that's where I'd disagree on what "equality" even means.

A difference in roles does not mean an inequality of persons.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Implied and/or legislated differences in rights, liberties, protections, and opportunities, do.

BTW, I scored that I am a feminist. Funny test. :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Giving birth is more of an ability and a function than a "role." If someone has an ability that someone else does not, then it sounds kind of vague and meaningless to say they are "completely equal."

Maybe it would be helpful if someone could provide an extremely narrow and limited definition of what equality is, so that we can all agree that people are "completely equal."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I'm going to overanalyze. Because it's what I do.

The question is a little oversimplified. There is no such thing as "complete equality" unless we're talking mathematics and A = A. The only way for males and females of a species to be completely equal is if... well... there were no males and females. There are differences in status, rights, or opportunities between males and females. Sorry human females, but you will forever be denied the opportunity to be a sperm donor because of your sex; sorry human males, you will forever be denied the opportunity to become pregnant because of your sex.

In my mind, what makes a feminist is understanding that the only differences in status, rights, and opportunities that a human society should acknowledge are those which are inevitable and unavoidable due to biological anatomy. The possession of a penis or vagina means nothing aside from intercourse and reproduction. It should not be viewed as something that defines and prescribes your personality, your relationships, or your roles in a society. A feminist sees a human being above all, not a male or a female. Though males and females of a species are not A = A interchangeable, the notion that we're categorically different (and should be treated as such) is ridiculous.

Maybe I'm a bit more radical than some, though, because I wholesale reject the social construct of gender as inherently sexist and un-feminist.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I'm going to overanalyze. Because it's what I do.

The question is a little oversimplified. There is no such thing as "complete equality" unless we're talking mathematics and A = A. The only way for males and females of a species to be completely equal is if... well... there were no males and females. There are differences in status, rights, or opportunities between males and females. Sorry human females, but you will forever be denied the opportunity to be a sperm donor because of your sex; sorry human males, you will forever be denied the opportunity to become pregnant because of your sex.

In my mind, what makes a feminist is understanding that the only differences in status, rights, and opportunities that a human society should acknowledge are those which are inevitable and unavoidable due to biological anatomy. The possession of a penis or vagina means nothing aside from intercourse and reproduction. It should not be viewed as something that defines and prescribes your personality, your relationships, or your roles in a society. A feminist sees a human being above all, not a male or a female. Though males and females of a species are not A = A interchangeable, the notion that we're categorically different (and should be treated as such) is ridiculous.

Maybe I'm a bit more radical than some, though, because I wholesale reject the social construct of gender as inherently sexist and un-feminist.

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well, with the possible exception of the last paragraph. I think there are a lot of arbitrary and sexist notions about how a person should "ideally" act and think based on their biological sex, but I'm not sure I would classify the concept of gender as harmful in and of itself. I would only feel comfortable doing so with absolute certainty if it were clearly evidenced that biological differences between males and females have no effect whatsoever on their patterns of behavior and thinking; however, I'm not aware of that having been done yet, so I don't entirely dismiss the concept of gender as inherently harmful.

Alceste

Vagabond

As Mystic said, equal rights and equal opportunities in terms of custom, culture and legislation. "Equal" does not imply "identical". Equal infers value, identical infers physical attributes. Sure, men can't get pregnant, but once they have teamed up with someone who can do that to produce a child, should they have "equal" parental rights and responsibilities?

Anyway, it's a pretty good test: if you find the question confusing and unanswerable, then you aren't a feminist. :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
As Mystic said, equal rights and equal opportunities in terms of custom, culture and legislation. "Equal" does not imply "identical". Equal infers value, identical infers physical attributes. Sure, men can't get pregnant, but once they have teamed up with someone who can do that to produce a child, should they have "equal" parental rights and responsibilities?

Anyway, it's a pretty good test: if you find the question confusing and unanswerable, then you aren't a feminist. :D

What if I think women are superior to men? Am I still a feminist?