• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist only: how do you talk to misogynists online?

Orbit

I'm a planet
This is in the feminist-only section

When confronted with troll-posting, misinformation, and attacks on women or feminism on other online forums, how do you react? Just let them take over the space? Patiently debunk? Flame in kind? Indeed have you found anything that combats "pick-up artist" and "MRA" and rape apologists? I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
rape apologists? do they exist?

I weave between feminism and, I don't mean to be rude, practicality. I am 100% for equality, but not for cherry picking rights or expectations, or double standards. I tend to troll back, although it is not a method that works all the time. I'm really not sure how anyone can justify rape. If you are versed in weaving their arguments into statements that rip the floor out from under them have at it and watch them squirm.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I roll my eyes and move on. Blatant sexism and misogyny is a good way to land on my "do not associate" list instantly and permanently. They won't listen to me or take me seriously, so I won't bother to give them so much as the time of day. Not gonna waste my valuable time on them; they deserve neither my time nor attention.

I'm not much for being confrontational either, especially for impersonal, text-based interactions. It doesn't work well.

Plus there's the fact that whining and complaining about garbage empowers it. It's generally better to sing the songs you want to hear and not empower dissonant chords by spending so much time with them. Positivity, rather than negativity, as it were. Good for one's own mental health.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The big problem is that "rape apologist" is wielded like a shotgun.
Many of us here on RF have been called that, despite our vehement
opposition to rape. The term often arises when disagreeing about some
smaller issue, eg, the utility of avoiding compromising circumstances
like getting drunk & becoming incapacitated & vulnerable to assault.

Orbit

I'm a planet

I'm specifically referring to an individual who said rape should be legal because women are naturally inferior to men.

Audie

Veteran Member

We can probably all do without name calling.

I tend to avoid this sort of discussion, I get too
emotional about it.

I am of course aware that "rape" varies from
a matter of timing or culture, and "oh, now that
I think about it, that must have been rape"
through to torture and death.

Audie

Veteran Member
search
search
I'm specifically referring to an individual who said rape should be legal because women are naturally inferior to men.

I carried a concealed pistol for a time because of
such people.

Dont let a smile fool you

asian girl with AK - Google Search:

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ugh.
Such a perspective suggests very little common ground as a basis for persuasion.
I don't have any recommendation for handling such a person.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We can probably all do without name calling.

I tend to avoid this sort of discussion, I get too
emotional about it.

I am of course aware that "rape" varies from
a matter of timing or culture, and "oh, now that
I think about it, that must have been rape"
through to torture and death.
Hence the advantage of addressing the
issues instead of attacking the person.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The science is pretty conclusive that you cannot usually reason someone out of a position they hold, but are more likely to merely get them to dig in deeper.

I typically ignore misogynists unless I'm in a mood to take them on. But I should not ignore them. That just gives them free reign to recruit. They might be incapable of changing their views, but people reading them can and sometimes do change their views.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

When confronted with troll-posting, misinformation, and attacks on women or feminism on other online forums, how do you react? Just let them take over the space? Patiently debunk? Flame in kind? Indeed have you found anything that combats "pick-up artist" and "MRA" and rape apologists? I'd be very happy to hear about it.
What is a MRA?

Rational Agnostic

You shouldn't lump pick-up artists in the same group as rape apologists. But other than that, I've got no advice.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Men's Rights Advocate

I know....you were thinking....
Make Revoltingest Autocrat
Oh okay... I'm confused (doesn't take much). How does advocating for mens rights make you a misogynist? Not trying to pick a fight, just want to make sure I understand the OP on this topic.

Rational Agnostic

rape apologists? do they exist?

I weave between feminism and, I don't mean to be rude, practicality. I am 100% for equality, but not for cherry picking rights or expectations, or double standards. I tend to troll back, although it is not a method that works all the time. I'm really not sure how anyone can justify rape. If you are versed in weaving their arguments into statements that rip the floor out from under them have at it and watch them squirm.

Unfortunately yes, they do exist. There's someone (name forgotten) running for some political office that has these views. It's a sad reflection on society that this person actually got enough signatures to make it on the ballot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh okay... I'm confused (doesn't take much). How does advocating for mens rights make you a misogynist? Not trying to pick a fight, just want to make sure I understand the OP on this topic.
There are some nasty people who identify as MRA, &
these examples are made writ large by some feminists.

Am I using the word, "some", enuf here?

Rational Agnostic

It doesn't, but many of them tend to be misogynists (google on the "red pill" community). I do think that there is a point to be made about areas in which men ARE oppressed. Most of this oppression comes from other males though, and MRAs place too much blame on women.

Quetzal

Premium Member
There are some nasty people who identify as MRA, &
these examples are made writ large by some feminists.

Am I using the word, "some", enuf here?
Oh okay, so some tend to take the platform and run with it as a way to marginalize women? I can see that being an issue. Thanks!

Quetzal

Premium Member
It doesn't, but many of them tend to be misogynists (google on the "red pill" community). I do think that there is a point to be made about areas in which men ARE oppressed. Most of this oppression comes from other males though, and MRAs place too much blame on women.
Okay, fair enough, thanks!