• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist heroines/Role Models

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, so to preface, I would like to offer an apology of sorts. In the past I was very critical of "Third Wave" Feminism. I really didn't mean to be, I just have a very dark and very mean spirited sense of humour which does affect how I view most things I encounter. I really don't know when I'm being harsh on something, because a lot of the things I find funny are kind of really harsh to begin with.
But I think, despite our different opinions, our different philosophies and approaches, we should strive to find common ground. As feminists, as women, as people.

So who are people, feminists, whoever, who inspire you? Which role models from whichever source you find personally affecting, do you find the most awesome? Hell it can be fictional characters if you find that to your liking if you prefer.
I don't care.

(And please, no bickering. Role models, heroes etc are different for everyone. Not everyone will agree. And that's okay. Let's just celebrate awesome feminist heroes. Whatever shape or form they come in.)

You might know already I admire Christina Hoff Sommers. But I personally like characters like Hermione Granger and Professor McGonnogal. Hell I admire the hell out of Dame Maggie Smith. Anything she's in, I will insta-watch. It could be a commercial for all I care. There's such a fierceness, a strength that I admire.
A lot of Disney heroines I actually find to be very good role models for young ladies. Belle, Pepper-Anne, Penny from Proud family and most recently Moana. That movie didn't just speak to Samoans and Polynesian people, it also included Fijian culture. And my mother is Fijian, so that movie and characters (especially the Grandma, who seems to be the most awesome ever in all their movies to include them by default) is much appreciated by us as well.
I recently became interested in Roman History..............for whatever reason, so Mary Beard is someone I have encountered. And from what I read, she seems pretty awesome as well.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ellen Ripley
th

PureX

Veteran Member
My first vote would be for a singer/songwriter named Ani DiFranco. She is amazingly honest and outspoken in her observations of current conditions from a young woman's perspective. And she is very active politically, culturally, and personally in fighting for what she believes in, which is equal freedom, equal justice, and equal opportunity for all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I second Jane Goodall and Ellen Ripley. I also like Octavia Butler and her character Lilith. Mary Shelly Wollstonecraft and her mother Mary Wollstonecraft both deserve admiration. I'm also fond of Joan Jett, Lita Ford, and Pat Benatar. And I love Clarke, Raven, and Octavia in the 100. Arya Stark is a model of resilience and rebellion. And of course there is Marie Curie, Nancy Roman, Vera Rubin, Lene Hau, and Grace Hopper.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Real life: bell hooks, Angela Davis and my mom :p
Fictional characters: Probably Jane Way and Kira Nerys from Star Trek
That's Captain "Janeway"!
Nerds everywhere have now been triggered.

Adding.....
Arya Stark
th

And Olenna Tyrell
olenna-tyrell-1920.jpg

And of course, Mrs Peel
The-Avengers-Emma-Peel-mrs-emma-peel-33340990-500-375.png

Last edited:

pearl

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenager who won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Activist supporting girl's right to education and human rights following the assassination attempt by the Taliban. I would add to that Elizabeth Johnson, feminist theologian taking on the masculine vision of biblical and religious thought.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Carl Sagan is a great champion of science to me and showed how science and philosophy are very much alike, and their great compatibility towards spirituality. :)

sagan_oaktree_n.jpg

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Role models for women needn't be women.
Inspiration is where you find it.
Of course, i did not imply that a role model for a woman has to be a woman. The OP requested feminist heroes, that's why i phrased my post like that. Though i see why you interpreted it that way :)

I'll just edit my post :D

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course, i did not imply that a role model for a woman has to be a woman. The OP requested feminist heroes, that's why i phrased my post like that. Though i see why you interpreted it that way :)

I'll just edit my post :D
Don't mind me....I get things wrong every now & then.