• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist Fatigue

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Social justice concerns are hard (whether feminist, racial concerns, LGBT+ concerns, etc). They're about matters that are personal ("personal is political, political is personal" goes the old motto) because they're often about our identities or identities of people close to us. Implicit biases abound, privilege is abound, and there are a lot more people that don't get it than do get it, so the struggle is daily.

You might feel overwhelmed, so you try to get away from it for a little bit. But then the nice guy at the bar who doesn't really mean any harm by it still calls you "honey." You go for a jog and you get catcalled. You get told to smile. You get things explained to you that you already know. You try to play a video game to be confronted with everyday looking men (but the women have to be sexy).

They're little things, tiny things, little itty bitty stings that aren't even bee stings and don't even hurt, but the constant barrage wears you down just the same. Feeling the need to respond to sexism and misogyny because you know deep down inside that every instance that isn't responded to perpetuates the culture, and you think things like "silence is assent," even if you also tell yourself to pick your battles.

There's no rewards even if you do pick your battles well: you get scorn, disdain. You're "screeching," or you're "making a mountain over a mole hill, lady."

So what do you do? You cultivate social circles that already know the things, where you don't have to constantly fight the things. But then it's even more jarring when you're outside of these spaces, where the war is on again: the war against tiny little things that don't even hurt (sometimes), that some people question why you even fight. Because it's like being covered in bugs everywhere you go.

What's the point of this post? I don't know. Maybe just venting. Maybe we just need to remind ourselves that a lot of things are getting better. But there's a long way to go for culture to shed a lot of its implicit biases and recognize its privileges.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Maybe social justice fatigue sets in faster if you're dealing with more of it. I'm an ex-sex worker (in that I stripped through early undergrad), so I have to deal with SWERFs. I have trans friends (and even if I didn't, I'd still fight for them), so I have to deal with TERFs. That's even within feminism. I'm gay, so I have to deal with LGBT+ bigotry. Even the "harmless" stuff like men who say "woah, I want nothing to do with gay men, but lesbians are alright," because lesbianism is often cast in many minds as being for the male gaze. I have a disability, so I guess I have to deal with ableism (though I very often don't deal with anything negative here, thankfully). It's easy to get burnt out.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I let out a good, long sigh at the Activision Blizzard news today. And part of it is that I realized it wasn't a gaming thing. If the news had been about Marvel or Tesla I wouldn't be shocked.

There is absolutely rampant abusive power structures still stacked against women in the US. And it's exhausting for people to say 'we don't need feminism' in a world that disproves it with just glancing at a headline.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I let out a good, long sigh at the Activision Blizzard news today. And part of it is that I realized it wasn't a gaming thing. If the news had been about Marvel or Tesla I wouldn't be shocked.

There is absolutely rampant abusive power structures still stacked against women in the US. And it's exhausting for people to say 'we don't need feminism' in a world that disproves it with just glancing at a headline.

Yes. Honestly I saw the headline that mentioned "bro culture" and haven't brought myself to open and read it yet, though I probably will. Been feeling that fatigue today.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Social justice concerns are hard (whether feminist, racial concerns, LGBT+ concerns, etc). They're about matters that are personal ("personal is political, political is personal" goes the old motto) because they're often about our identities or identities of people close to us. Implicit biases abound, privilege is abound, and there are a lot more people that don't get it than do get it, so the struggle is daily.

You might feel overwhelmed, so you try to get away from it for a little bit. But then the nice guy at the bar who doesn't really mean any harm by it still calls you "honey." You go for a jog and you get catcalled. You get told to smile. You get things explained to you that you already know. You try to play a video game to be confronted with everyday looking men (but the women have to be sexy).

They're little things, tiny things, little itty bitty stings that aren't even bee stings and don't even hurt, but the constant barrage wears you down just the same. Feeling the need to respond to sexism and misogyny because you know deep down inside that every instance that isn't responded to perpetuates the culture, and you think things like "silence is assent," even if you also tell yourself to pick your battles.

There's no rewards even if you do pick your battles well: you get scorn, disdain. You're "screeching," or you're "making a mountain over a mole hill, lady."

So what do you do? You cultivate social circles that already know the things, where you don't have to constantly fight the things. But then it's even more jarring when you're outside of these spaces, where the war is on again: the war against tiny little things that don't even hurt (sometimes), that some people question why you even fight. Because it's like being covered in bugs everywhere you go.

What's the point of this post? I don't know. Maybe just venting. Maybe we just need to remind ourselves that a lot of things are getting better. But there's a long way to go for culture to shed a lot of its implicit biases and recognize its privileges.

Thanks for sharing this. The way you describe it makes a ton of sense to me, even though my personal experiences around this are more limited.
I've had a couple of periods in my life where I did experience levels of gender-based or racial discrimination, and your way of explaining it did remind me of how I felt in those moments.
But from there, I need to use my imagination, for 2 reasons...

1) Whilst I got some negative impacts based on gender and race at times, I was also getting preferential treatment at exactly the same time (which also feels pretty bad, in some ways, but is an entirely different experience). I've never had a period where my gender, or my race was only neutral or negative in terms of perception.

2) The periods where there was some negative prejudice and positive prejudice occurring to me were both limited and situational. They lasted between a year and a few years, really. Nothing like experiencing something day after day for a lifetime, and trying to see incremental improvement whilst also dealing with the daily...

So...your post made sense, even to my limited frame of reference. For what it's worth, my time of RF has probably taught me more about practical feminism, and my role in supporting equality than any other single factor. You're not shouting into the wind. At least...not entirely!!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Honestly I saw the headline that mentioned "bro culture" and haven't brought myself to open and read it yet, though I probably will. Been feeling that fatigue today.
It's a bad one with tw like sexual assault and suicide, but take your time and keep yourself safe. We can already hear the downpour without looking outside all the time.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Thanks for sharing this. The way you describe it makes a ton of sense to me, even though my personal experiences around this are more limited.
I've had a couple of periods in my life where I did experience levels of gender-based or racial discrimination, and your way of explaining it did remind me of how I felt in those moments.
But from there, I need to use my imagination, for 2 reasons...

1) Whilst I got some negative impacts based on gender and race at times, I was also getting preferential treatment at exactly the same time (which also feels pretty bad, in some ways, but is an entirely different experience). I've never had a period where my gender, or my race was only neutral or negative in terms of perception.

2) The periods where there was some negative prejudice and positive prejudice occurring to me were both limited and situational. They lasted between a year and a few years, really. Nothing like experiencing something day after day for a lifetime, and trying to see incremental improvement whilst also dealing with the daily...

So...your post made sense, even to my limited frame of reference. For what it's worth, my time of RF has probably taught me more about practical feminism, and my role in supporting equality than any other single factor. You're not shouting into the wind. At least...not entirely!!

Thanks for this! Maybe I'm feeling emotional right now, but that touched me. Your ability to empathize is a great strength of character, I think. Even if you feel as though the times you experienced things like this were more limited or of a different sort, remember it's not a contest and all things like this matter; your experiences matter too. <3

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I read that article yesterday and felt physically ill afterward. Not even in a metaphorical sense; I actually had some abdominal pain after reading the story about the woman who took her own life.

Whenever I feel so distressed from reading or hearing about incidents showing how sexism impacts women in different scenarios, I can't help imagining how I would feel if I were a woman myself. I think of that and especially feel a lot of pain for multiple female friends who experience such things on a regular basis, but I also try not to let the distress distract me from focusing on what I can do to help no matter how small it may be.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

This is so precisely and powerfully expressed. I'm certain that even though I regularly witness instances of sexism toward women, it's a mere fraction of what they experience. Things that you and multiple other female friends have told me make me feel extreme revulsion and distress from the way many societies treat women and the way such treatment makes them feel a need to be alert all the time.

I'm glad you chose to post this here. I'm sure many people here appreciate your input and are happy to show support in any way they can, myself included. :)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Ever since I wrote this I’ve wanted to write a poem to vent this, but every time I start I feel like I couldn’t blurt words out better than when I was really feeling it for this OP.

And that pisses me off, because I want to stuff these feelings into a neat little poem-box.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I want to turn OP into a poem, just bleed it out onto a page, but I keep failing to find a good start. One of these days.