• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminine personalities and social media

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Does most social media tend to have a lack of feminine identifying people, at least in comparison to masculine identifying people?

And if so, how does it tend to affect the experience?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Does most social media tend to have a lack of feminine identifying people, at least in comparison to masculine identifying people?

I feel there are far more feminine identifying people on social media. At least areas of it that use.

Viker

Häxan
I hadn't noticed until now. I went back through my YouTube subscriptions, that's my main exposure to social media, and dang. It's mostly full of those who identify as male. I would say it's about 60 to 70% comprised of those identifying as male. :eek:

A lot of heavy metal YouTubers. :p

*Apparently, I think Navy SEALs are awesome also. Two of my favorite YouTubers are (former) SEALs.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I hadn't noticed until now. I went back through my YouTube subscriptions, that's my main exposure to social media, and dang. It's mostly full of those who identify as male. I would say it's about 60 to 70% comprised of those identifying as male. :eek:

A lot of heavy metal YouTubers. :p

*Apparently, I think Navy SEALs are awesome also. Two of my favorite YouTubers are (former) SEALs.

Where do old, fat, bald Aussies fall in the percentages?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
How many identify as male? Are any of them metalheads? And what about military service records? :shrug:

Male and metalheads would be common. Too drunk, fat, lazy and cowardly for military service for the most part.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To answer my own question, there are times on sites where things just look like they might benefit from more, how should we say, feminine energy. It seems almost like, at times, a lot of the women are either still stuck on Facebook or Instagram, without branching out to other sites besides those very much, like to dating sites (to some extent), gaming sites, etc.

And times like that, I do feel like "trying" to add more feminine subjects myself, but I also feel that I'm not really the best candidate for doing that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know, although I've heard that some women might identify as male on some sites to avoid harassment.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are generally more men on fora etc. Women tend to prefer pic sharing/photos of dinner etc.

I don't see as many women discussing religion and politics online.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I don't know, although I've heard that some women might identify as male on some sites to avoid harassment.
Likewise, in the past, many women writers used pen names or wrote anonymously in order to avoid harassment.

PureX

Veteran Member
As someone that's older, I really pay little attention to that. Even on here, I have no idea what gender most of you are, nor do I care. I don't see that it's relevant to most of the content we discuss.

Erebus

Most of my social media presence outside of RF is centred on my interest in wargaming. You bet that particular niche is overwhelmingly male dominated. The groups that focus solely on painting have a more even split but it's still predominantly male.

Since I'm a man, the uneven split doesn't affect me too much. I do know some women who feel side-lined by it though. There have been steady improvements over the years, particularly with regard to pushing far-right wargamers out of the community but there's still a long way to go in my opinion.

One of the benefits of increasing awareness among the community and miniature companies for me personally is that it's getting easier to find female miniatures wearing sensible armour.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of my social media presence outside of RF is centred on my interest in wargaming. You bet that particular niche is overwhelmingly male dominated. The groups that focus solely on painting have a more even split but it's still predominantly male.

Since I'm a man, the uneven split doesn't affect me too much. I do know some women who feel side-lined by it though. There have been steady improvements over the years, particularly with regard to pushing far-right wargamers out of the community but there's still a long way to go in my opinion.

One of the benefits of increasing awareness among the community and miniature companies for me personally is that it's getting easier to find female miniatures wearing sensible armour.

I've browsed a few wargaming forums, though mostly just techie questions. However, I get the sense that these forums do tend to be dominated by R. Lee Ermey wannabes. Posturing, puffed-up, pompous prattling podknockers and posers.

Erebus

I've browsed a few wargaming forums, though mostly just techie questions. However, I get the sense that these forums do tend to be dominated by R. Lee Ermey wannabes. Posturing, puffed-up, pompous prattling podknockers and posers.

I think some of that depends on the particular type of wargame too. I've noticed that WW1 and WW2 games can attract more jingoism than fantasy games for example.

It's certainly true though that there's a subset of wargamers whose interest in wargaming seems intertwined with a romantic view of militarism. It's more than a little cringeworthy.