• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminine Earth

Electra

Do you consider the Earth feminine?

Is this beneficial?

are planets gender neutral? beyond gender?

why has Mars been coined masculine and Venus feminine? from a toxic book? is this beneficial?

is this carrying our gender stereotypes?

Yes, I am aware, *this is the way we 'have' referred to the planet for a long time* but I don't see that as an excuse.

If we say because the earth has birthed us, even if a 'male' gender in 'humans' have not given birth to a 'human' they give life in many other ways? and can be equally nurturing, loving ect. Also, some 'males' in fish give birth...why are we limiting our Earth?

The Earth in gendered language has always been referred to as feminine, has this also influenced us?

Peoms about exploring the earth have been writen mostly by 'males', does that influence us?

when gender roles become less rigid will our labels on Earth also???

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Venus was named after the Goddess of love by the Romans because it's a bright and beautiful planet and Mars was named after the God of war since it's red (blood).

No, the planets don't have literal gender. That's reading too much into it. It's metaphors. The Earth is the feminine counterpart to the masculine sky. But like I said, there's no reason to see it literally.

Electra

Venus was named after the Goddess of love by the Romans because it's a bright and beautiful planet and Mars was named after the God of war since it's red (blood).

No, the planets don't have literal gender. That's reading too much into it. It's metaphors. The Earth is the feminine counterpart to the masculine sky. But like I said, there's no reason to see it literally.

Yea, I am sure all the planets all have pronouns from names, but in general perception they are thought about with no acknowledgement of the naming, the whole 'men are from mars, women from venus' thing. I guess I see no 'godess' as a gods are beyond gender, all are 'gods'. So I do not see Venus as a 'feminine' or Mars as a 'masuline' god. They have personalitys sure, but no need to put them in a polar.

Yes, but the Earth always refereed to as 'her' and 'mother' (except 'fatherland in germeny during ww2) seems like a pretty rigid point of view.

Electra

P.s Yes I am aware that the Earth has been referred to as 'gaia, parvati, prithvi, mat zemlya' ect ect

as 'mother 'goddess''

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've always thought of our planet as "mother" Earth as it (more or less) "gave birth" to all the species we know. I don't tend to get too loopy over the idea though. Big Daddy Earth doesn't sound adequate.

Last edited:

Electra

I've always thought of our planet as "mother" Earth as it (more or less) "gave birth" to all the species we know. I don't tend to get too loopy over the idea though. Big Daddy Earth does sound adequate.

I'm going through a bit of a gender crisis phase trying to work everything out hahah, I am very loopy around all the ideas.

I actually like big daddy, bahah, noice

Grandliseur

Is this beneficial?

why has Mars been coined masculine and Venus feminine? from a toxic book? is this beneficial?

Yes, I am aware, *this is the way we 'have' referred to the planet for a long time* but I don't see that as an excuse.

If we say because the earth has birthed us, even if a 'male' gender in 'humans' have not given birth to a 'human' they give life in many other ways? and can be equally nurturing, loving ect. Also, some 'males' in fish give birth...why are we limiting our Earth?

The Earth in gendered language has always been referred to as feminine, has this also influenced us?

Peoms about exploring the earth have been writen mostly by 'males', does that influence us?

I do consider the earth a woman, the moon the husband and other things the children.
If we view a family, it is clearly the woman who is the center of the family. In many cases she cares for the children when small, cooks and cleans for the family, and in some cases when the husband is off - has an extra child who needs his slippers, his beer, and his babying. She also has to suffer his pushing her around at times. As the earth, many mothers are long suffering, full of love, and there for us when we hurt, emotionally and physically.

Hail such mothers; some are saints. Some are not.

Electra

I do consider the earth a woman, the moon the husband and other things the children.
If we view a family, it is clearly the woman who is the center of the family. In many cases she cares for the children when small, cooks and cleans for the family, and in some cases when the husband is off - has an extra child who needs his slippers, his beer, and his babying. She also has to suffer his pushing her around at times. As the earth, many mothers are long suffering, full of love, and there for us when we hurt, emotionally and physically.

Hail such mothers; some are saints. Some are not.

This is true, although the 'family' dynamics are starting to change.
That is nice you see the moon in a masculine light, as la luna is normally feminised. Because feeling emotions is totally a 'female thing', lol

Hail to all parents of all creation, blood or not

Skwim

Veteran Member
Ah yes, the feminine earth

GrandCanyon.jpg

And the male earth

09gonergrat-17.jpg

LionLooking

I see the Earth as feminine. She gives birth to all life and provides us with food, much like a mother's milk.
I see the Sun as masculine - bright, strong, powerful but prone to be overbearing in summer or to abandon us in winter.
I see the Moon as feminine - mysterious, beautiful, magical.
The other heavenly bodies, I have no opinion of their gender. They're too far away and too small to make any big impact on us.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Depends on the language I'm using.

That is nice you see the moon in a masculine light, as la luna is normally feminised. Because feeling emotions is totally a 'female thing', lol
In the Latin languages.

In German for instance (and I would wager in other Germanic languages as well) moon (Mond) is masculine.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member

Is this beneficial?

Yes I think it's helpful yes it's actually a gender neutral topic but sexuality sensuality fertility creativity all of it wells up from.the same source so it's a way of expressing that science can't express.